Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, let me just say that I don't want to see any laughing or jokes about my new daily driver. :D I had to chose a daily driver after quitting my executive position and giving up my company car. My goal was a 4 door sedan that would get great gas mileage and be comfortable. I ended up deciding on a Jetta TDI. It is a 1.9L Turbo diesel generating massive 100HP! :D

Believe it or not, this TDI was more difficult to find than a low mileage 6-speed Supra. It is a very popular and sought after car right now because they are a turbo diesel that can obtain average fuel economy of 50 mpg's. The automatics are also nearly impossible to find, and I did not want a manual for a daily driver. The TDI also has the very cool feature of being able to run on biodiesel (vegetable oil) which I plan to do eventually. When running on biodiesel, the exhaust actually smells like french fries--LOL! This is the last year VW is making the TDI due to the change coming in 2007 in US diesel emissions requirements. I was able to obtain one of the last TDI's coming over and with an automatic transmission. I bought the car for $500 under sticker and they are often sold for $5K+ over sticker!

The car actually runs and drives very nice and doesn't even sounds like a diesel. I drove it 70 miles yesterday and the gas gauge is still pegged on the Full mark!
As far as mods go, the car is getting window tint today and a complete DVD/Nav/Blue Tooth Stereo system installed later in the week. From there, it will be done, except for boost controller--just kidding!

·
2JZ swapped!
878 Posts
I think the new Jetta's look pretty cool. What % tint? The gauges kinda resemble my dads volvo.

·
ladies love latinos
98 Posts
Looks nice i wish i had a little daily driver that saved on gas cause my garage is full of gas guzzlers.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - it is simple but get's the job done!

WHT98TT: Exactly! I was driving our Dodge diesel dually around, or the Z06, which aren't exactly fuel efficient or great daily drivers!

Fletch124: I think 20% in the back and 30-35 on the windows. I guess what ever the max is that I can stay legal. The guages are actually very cool as they are lighted a dark blue/purple. There are a lot of aspects of the car that are similar to the Audi's, including the exact same "switch blade" style key fob.

·
The Funny Man
1,254 Posts
Now slap a chip in it and some exhaust, and get ready to puff out some black smoke. All while getting insane mpg.....

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Diesels are the way to go. Did you know that almost 70% of new cars sold in Europe are Diesels. 50mpg is the way to go :)

Are you serious that you cant have TDI cars after 2007? Thats incredible. Do they want you to keep on buying trucks and SUV's that give 10mpg. Thats a very shortsighted decision from somebody. The new Diesels should be more environment friendly than regular gasoline cars.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Krister said:
Diesels are the way to go. Did you know that almost 70% of new cars sold in Europe are Diesels. 50mpg is the way to go :)

Are you serious that you cant have TDI cars after 2007? Thats incredible. Do they want you to keep on buying trucks and SUV's that give 10mpg. Thats a very shortsighted decision from somebody. The new Diesels should be more environment friendly than regular gasoline cars.

Not after 2007, after 2006! It is VW's number one seller, commanding well above sticker and they are discontinuing it. Very strange and I don't know all the details other than compliance with the US standards effective 2007 is the issue!

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
X2daC said:
What's that gold thing on the dash in the third picture?
I posted new pictures w/ a clearer one of the interior. I believe the orange thing was just a reflection!

It is no SW List, but here are curent personal (Non VIP Inventory). We still haven't sold the 98 Supra and it appears the sale is not going to happen. We also decided to keep the Lotus Elise as a track car. Also in the process of possibly buying a white 95 Skyline GT-R Vspec w/ 12K miles, which may replace the Lotus as a track car, since it is not US LEGAL :(
Current Cars:
2006 DSOM Z06 w/ Mods Producing 490RWHP
1998 Toyota Supra GT42-76 Turbo 1000 HP
1999 Lotus Elise Sport 190 (S1) 1 of 39
2005 Dodge Diesel Quad Cab Dually Laramie
2006 Mini Cooper S w/ 2K miles (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (50 MPG)

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's definitely the car of the future. We'll no longer be relying on foreign oil therefore world peace and green house effect for our children. Daniel you sure had it all figured out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts