Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anybody has tried this, but I really like the results.

Very quiet around town, but when you hit full boost, it opens up, and it sounds like you are running just a test pipe.

Peformace gains were also well noticed.

Without the wastgate downpipe, we were hitting up to about 14 psi, no dyno numbers though.

With the external vent wastgate, psi numbers dropped to 11, but there was a significant power increase. I would say 15-20hp.

This setup was done with no intercooler at 11 degrees BTC.

Real test will come into play when we get the intercooler hooked up, and can run 15 BTC.

for visual emission inspection purposes.

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
SWEET!! Divorced wastegates!! I have been waiting for someone to do something like this on the MK3! Good job man! I have proposed this idea to many people, but no one has been able to put it into production!

This setup is very popular on porsche's, 300zx's, wrx's, etc...

I want one!

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Does it actually go into the exhaust housing to actual separate the exhaust wheel and the wastegate though? It doesn't appear that it does. So you still have the small gap in there right? Unless the back of that flange goes all the way into the turbo which it doesn't look like it does.

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
Ahhh... good call Trent. I forgot about that. A spacer is needed to keep the gases from the housing and the wastegate seperate so that they only flow into their respective pipes. Does this setup have this?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THe one installed does, but it was just a small piece of exhaust pipe welded in, not a perfectly good seal.(just for testing)

The other flanges I have (4 of them), are not completed. I was going to have some concave pieces cut out, then welded into place. I don't believe it will ever get 100% seal, but probably 95%-98%. The cast will expand at a different rate than the mild steel will. The best thing would be to get a metal that expands more than the cast, that way when it heats up, it will expand and seal the two chambers 100%

I don't know if I am going to finish the 4 flanges I have left. I have decided I would rather use T60 series turbos for 7M motors, which I will be making my own adapters for.

I do have the 4 flanges for sale though, $35 dollars for whomever wants to expermiment.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
If the wastegate/actuator arm is still stock....the wastegate flapper can only open 2-3mm, as the actuator arm hits the outside of the turbine housing. Ergo, all that accomodating for extra flow just for the WG would be a waste of time. If the actuator am is modified to open the flapper more, the question then becomes "All that work for a stock turbo?"

The flange below works just fine. Yes, it's counter-intuitive, but it improved the dyno curves substantially...without the need to accomodate WG flow at all. See the curve shape between Dyno #5 & Dyno #6 on my website.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The fact that it does not feed back into the rest of the exaust. Plus with the design without the extra port, where is it dumping those gasses? Righ about where the turbine gasses are going. Major source of turbulence.

Like I said, I noticed a substantial power increase with the port under 11psi where previous it was 14 psi. I haven't tried 14 psi with the port yet.

Anyway

here is the engine bay with the elbow. No IC yet, but soon to have MKIV sidemount intercooler.

it is an 87 Toyota 4runner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts