Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Engmaineer
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called up Driveshaftshop today to speak to them about their new carbon line up.

The owner informed me that early September they should have out a new carbon fiber toyota supra 93-98 application. They are currently redesigning it with their new balance machine (that goes up to 9500 rpms).

On their first prototype they noticed some higher level harmonics, so they are taking some work they did on newer cars with IRS and going to retrofit it to the supra design. Should be stupid light, and handle over 1000whp like the rest of their DS's. Some good news for the market!

Stock DS weighs around 23 lbs, the Chromoly one weighs are like 20 lbs, and this carbon one should be considerably lighter.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Id probobly be a buyer @ $1,100 when Im ready to upgrade to a 1 pc. shaft. I think that might be a little low though?

·
Engmaineer
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any indication on what it will cost?
Around 1400-1500 he said after redesign. But the main reason to redesign is to eliminate most of the upper level harmonics. Left with a really light but not vibration prone DS.

Problem is always the crazy gearing the supra has. It's capable of serious velocity, those issues bring multi order harmonics at different rpms.

Very reasonable considering what the other companies charge, plus this one will be designed for huge power.

·
Engmaineer
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well titan sells theirs for 1800 so yea I'd say your looking at least 1500 range.
which I always thought was crazy. If you call up PST (who makes Titans Carbon DS) they sell to the public any custom DS for 895 . . . problem is you need the custom adapter pieces that only a few companies make (ACPT, PSTfor Titan, and DSS)

So 900 for a DS, 900 for 2 adapter pieces . . . how nice.

·
**** Tuner
762 Posts
yea DSS is awesome stuff.. mine has been holding strong for quite some time now.. Frank is da man..

-sam

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
If I had to do it again, I'd buy the Carbon DS. The lightened rotational mass ALONE is pretty badass for acceleration benefits. :yum:
-Waiting for Conte to come in and post more of the physics. It sure has been a while. :sad:

http://youtu.be/f4zyjLyBp64

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's an update for everyone!

I've been talking to DSS, and while they don't have it listed yet, they finally have a set part number: TOSH9-C-CV. This is for the A340E automatic. From what I understand, they're actually using CV joints instead of universals! They also mentioned that they haven't made any yet though. I'll be ordering one in the next 2 months.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Ive seen more than a few broken carbon fiber driveshafts at the dragstrip over the years. Not sure what some of your intentions are but i guess for street driving and rolling starts it should be ok.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They absorb driveline vibration, flex enough to allow additional windup at launch, weigh less, and can't kill you if they snap like a conventional driveshaft.

Are you trying to tell me you haven't seen metal driveshafts snap over the years?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
They absorb driveline vibration, flex enough to allow additional windup at launch, weigh less, and can't kill you if they snap like a conventional driveshaft.

Are you trying to tell me you haven't seen metal driveshafts snap over the years?
Of course i have. The few carbon driveshafts I have seen at the track get turned into dust with a hard launch on slicks though. A good Chromoly driveshaft with good U joints will last forever and is much cheaper. I highly recommend that everyone runs a driveshaft loop when drag racing.

·
8 sec supra chick!
2,753 Posts
I should have one here in two weeks... i will post up pics of the install and obviously will keep people posted as we do some testing when i pick up the new car.

·
8 sec supra chick!
2,753 Posts
Trust me i loved my chromoly one and wanted another but dss wants me to try the carbon one. I told them about situations and stories ive seen and heard about other carbon shafts and they reassured me i wouldnt have a problem. We will see..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.