Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Toyota Supra
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not really good at writing up stuff like this but I am excited to have found this forum. I just acquired my fathers 88 Supra after it sitting for about 4 years.
A little backstory, I'm a beginner in the world of working on cars. I've been a tow operator for a auto repair shop for about 3 years and in the last 6 months starting doing basic jobs in the shop.
The car has a lot of issues and I'm probably in over my head but I am looking forward to using this beautiful ass car to learn more about not just cars in general but also patience and being humbled haha.
Here's a picture from this morning before taking it in to the shop I work for.
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Car

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,733 Posts
A little backstory, I'm a beginner in the world of working on cars...............The car has a lot of issues and I'm probably in over my head.
Welcome, let me give you some advice. Go here and use this website MK3 TSRM On-Line it is the factory Toyota Supra Repair Manual (TSRM). Listen to the OGs/experts here on this site. Use the Search here, and use your whole ass and don't half-ass things. Open to being patient and humbled is a very good thing with these cars.

Also, the car has what is known as, "TEMS" Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension, which are those black things covering the shocks in the engine bay. I'm telling you this simply because it helps to know what you're dealing with. Also, hardtops are rather uncommon.

Lastly, the scenery is nice.

·
Registered
1988 Toyota Supra
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, let me give you some advice. Go here and use this website MK3 TSRM On-Line it is the factory Toyota Supra Repair Manual (TSRM). Listen to the OGs/experts here on this site. Use the Search here, and use your whole ass and don't half-ass things. Open to being patient and humbled is a very good thing with these cars.

Also, the car has what is known as, "TEMS" Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension, which are those black things covering the shocks in the engine bay. I'm telling you this simply because it helps to know what you're dealing with. Also, hardtops are rather uncommon.

Lastly, the scenery is nice.
Thank you a bunch for the response and information man I really appreciate it. I’ll definitely look into that as soon as I get home. As far as the TEMS system I was juiced when I read about it but I need to look more into how far I want to get into that. Suspension is shot currently but the list of issues could be a whole other post.
Also thanks, neighbor recently cut down a bunch of eucalyptus and completely opened up the view.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,733 Posts
Funny you should mention that! The pre-89s had an option known as the "Super Monitor". You can actually list items like a grocery list in the Super Monitor and "monitor" what else you need to do. Think of it like an 80's tablet. No, I'm joking, you can't store your grocery items like that. There is a Super Monitor, but not for "items" :p

The TEMS specific shocks are long discontinued, so good luck on finding some NOS (New Old Stock) that are on a shelf in a box somewhere waiting for ManBrotherDude to buy them. Alternatively, a company in Japan has manufactured some TEMS replacement shocks, but I think it's like $2,000 for a set of four, and at that price you're better off getting some quality coil over replacements. I do like the idea of the TEMS system though, so cool, but it's long surpassed in quality being 35 year old technology.

·
Registered
1988 Toyota Supra
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first thought was my friends late 80's 325i, it has a little panel with various lights for malfunctions in different systems lol. Haha, maintenance due, TPMS fault, Dont forget bread and milk, Small evap leak.

My coworker and I were talking about it briefly today and I figure I'll just be removing those and switching to coil overs. However I won't throw the idea of replacement boxes saying manbrotherdude out of the realm of possibility. This TSRM website is actually fantastic, browsing over it right now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice!sounds like you'll be working on it in a favorable environment. I felt like I was in over my head too, 5pre-obd2 car. Looking at the engine bay for the first time looked alien to me. Just be patient and as said before, use your resources. A lot of knowledge and experience on this board. Just stick with it and the mk3 is really rewarding to drive.

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
1,200 Posts
Welcome to the group. You already seem to have a good attitude and mindset.

I promise, working on the Supra will cause you to reflect on exactly what the engineers at Toyota were thinking when they.... oh, right...they weren't! :ROFLMAO:

Its often rewarding but will stress your sanity sometimes!

·
Registered
1988 Toyota Supra
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice!sounds like you'll be working on it in a favorable environment. I felt like I was in over my head too, 5pre-obd2 car. Looking at the engine bay for the first time looked alien to me. Just be patient and as said before, use your resources. A lot of knowledge and experience on this board. Just stick with it and the mk3 is really rewarding to drive.
I used to love riding with my dad in what he called “the sporty car” and aside from the suspension being shot it was really enjoyable driving down to the shop. Also very sketchy haha luckily I live 3 miles down the road in a rural town. I actually just found the old repair book from the previous owner today too.

Welcome to the group. You already seem to have a good attitude and mindset.

I promise, working on the Supra will cause you to reflect on exactly what the engineers at Toyota were thinking when they.... oh, right...they weren't! :ROFLMAO:

Its often rewarding but will stress your sanity sometimes!
Yeah I could use the mental challenge lol keeps me on my toes. I debated my decision on getting into this numerous times already but I’m full in now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome! Glad to see another MK3 being fixed up rather than winding up in a scrap yard. The Hayne's manual has some good stuff but the TSRM that's been linked is a treasure trove of information. Have fun with the Supra!

Reactions: ManBrotherDude
1 - 15 of 15 Posts