Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was thinking if im goin to have to replace the headgasket and if its gunna run me about 1500 dollars to do it the right way... should i just buy a new engine....maybe a remanufactured engine and if so anyone know any place thats good to get one... all information and help is appreciated... I just want my supra back and healthy

·
Registered
2 Posts
well think of it this way, you spend the 1500 now and get the MHG and not have to worry about it? or get a new engine and have the possibility of it happening again and having to go through the whole deall again? If it is already blown mine as well fix it the right way and leave it be. just what i seem to have found in my research of these cars and BHG's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
o ya also forgot the mention, what are your plans for the car because that has alot to do with the choice too. If you are just gonna keep it stock the stock HG should be good as long as you replace the head studs and bolts with ARP stuff and torque it down good. But if you are looking ot get some bigger HP then the MGH is a recommended upgrade. Where you from in MA?

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
If the only big problem with the engine is the headgasket, then just get the HG replaced and do it the right way the first time. I didn't read over the whole thread you started before about this, but if there are no cracks, and otherwise it is fine, then I would replace the headgasket. If you have a turbo car then play it safe and get a MHG with some ARPs.

I have not shopped around for remanufactured engines, so I am not sure if the price is comparable, but also consider the amount of added work to replace the entire engine vs, the HG regardless if you are doing it, or having a shop do it.

-Alex

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is buying arp head studs and the hks metal headgasket only a good idea....what else should i do to assure i dont get another blown gasket?

·
Registered
449 Posts
this is wat i'm doing....i'm gettin a remanufactured motor from jarco...fo like 1850....for an additional 400 or something they will do the hks head gasket and arp headbolts.....if i had the time i would rebuild by myself, but i'm lazy and i want a warantee...so this is my easy way out....good luck

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
is buying arp head studs and the hks metal headgasket only a good idea....what else should i do to assure i dont get another blown gasket?
Make sure the bolts are torqued down to I THINK 75ft lbs. DON'T quote me on that, but definitely more than recommended by Toyota.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had BHG on my first 7mgte. Bought a MHG and ARP and had a friend do the work. I was just getting into supras and learning. This was a bad idea. Shouldn't have bought the MHG until I knew how much surface was taken off the head. Didn't even know at the time about RA and proper prep for a MHG and neither did the guy fixing it. Those mistakes cost me an engine. Pistons were hitting at TDC and got all chewed up. It was gruesome.

After that, I bought a 30-40k mile JDM 7mgte shipped for $1,200 from Soko.com and had everything done properly. With a MHG and properly prepped head/deck along with ARP's is the way to go IMO. 10k miles at 13 PSI and no problems. I'm going MAFT pro, 550s, 3.5" FMIC and hardpipes next weekend. We'll see how she holds @ high boost soon enough.

edit: My ARPS are torqued to 85lbs

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea I think i heard that they should be torqued at 85 lbs thanks for the advice....by the way how much did it run u to get the blocked milled and stuff?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts