Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got finished installing my new autometer boost/vac gauge. The vac reads about 20 and the boost reads between 2-3. MAJOR problem. If you don't know from my other posts i have a mystery boost leak and its been that way as long as i've had the car when my dad gave it to me in Jan. I know the boost level is way bad but is the vac normal.

Also, i'm still open to suggestions on what the hell to do to fix this. I'm about to break down and take the damn thing to a shop and tell them to find it or something

G

·
What about the vacuum line going to the waist gate?
Or maybe the tubes going to your stock boost controller valve?
I don’t have a picture of it but is by the cruse control.
It has a three or four wire plug and 1 vacuum line on the bottom.
It should say some thing about the boost controler on it.
Allan

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What stock boost controller. Are you talkin about the turbo pressure sensor. If so that's fine because the gauge is reading fine

Does anyone actually think it would be a good idea to take the car to a shop that knows turbos or supras and have them find it

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
That would be making less work for yourself, but im pretty sure the leak is somewhere under your nose. Plus some shops like to charge crazy $$ just for one little job. I'd say keep looking, its one of those things supra owners must go through.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it would be good experience but, that might be something that i might want to ask for for christmas

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody know of any reputable shops in southern california with good supra or just turbo know how

·
Fuzz E. Guy
853 Posts
Have you checked the hose that comes directly off the turbo and goes to the metal elbow? If not get under there and pull it off and check it. It's not rocket science, just a PITA to get to.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,129 Posts
Like I have posted before.

Take a rubber hose, and place one end of the hose into your ear, and go over all of the ic system pipe in audible search for hissing.

Then try to see if you can fix any boost leaks.

If it is even a boost leak.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If its not a leak, what else would be causing me to run such low boost

·
Canada, Eh?
2,398 Posts
seized actuator holding the wastegate open?

when you installed the gauge did you use teflon tape to seal the threads at the boost gauge? i didnt, and it leaked for a week before i noticed it. fixed it and boost went up 1 psi

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
toasted bov. take it off and try blow through it...if you can, its shot and its time to start looking for a new one.

adam

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How would I check the actuator?

And i no longer have the stock BOV, i have the old school JDM Blitz piece that i bought from a friend who was sellin parts off his.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinkin the actuator might be a good guess because i checked some of the ic pipes and they seam fine(1st one off the turbo and the one in the right fender)

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts.

I might help to know that when i had the wastegate shimmed earlier on it did nothing at all. not even a little. The washers are gone now but for some reason i feel that really might be the answer because if the actuator was seized then even shimming with a bunch of washers wouldn't do anything, right?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
c'mon somebody's gotta hoave an opinion, i don't wanna le this thread get to low cause it's REAL important

·
Registered
451 Posts
Joe-
I hear you. OK my opinion is if you had a leak and you shimmed the wastegate you would still have a leak and therefor have no more noticable boost. Could it be a stuck wastegate I suppose so, but then if it were stuck open you would not create any boost at all.
as stated above, did you check your BOV? if it were stuck open you would have no boosts. Have you checked all the IC pipes?

I am certainly no expert here, just learning myself but I added my 2 cents.
hope to keep this thread alive and see some good answers.

Steve

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah..sounds like a boost leak to me...I would suspect either the BOV, the coupler at the turbo, and the coupler between the 3000 pipe and throttle body

Because when i got my supe...all 3 of mine were leaking/cracked/broke:D

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone else have an opinion about either a leak or a seized wastegate. Supranick told me one day that even if there was a leak shimming would still do something but wouldn't be worth it so i should leave it alone. I really don't think its my blitz BOV, it wasn't leakin on my friends supra and he installed it within a couple of minutes on mine after i rode in his supra with it. The one at the turbo is fine and the one at the 3000 pipe is fine because the engine was rebuilt in Jan. and they checked that. And if it was the 3000 pipe how would i know, it seems fine.

I think I may believe the theory on the wastegate, because it might be seized only partially meaning a little boost would still be there, which is what i have. Obviously, if the wastegate was wide open it wouldn't boost but i doubt its stuck wide open. I believe that's why shimming did absolutely nothing.

I've checked theic pipe in the right fender and teh one coming off the turbo and as far as i know, they're fine.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nobody else has an opinion

G

·
It could be anywhere, any vacuum hose, or IC couple, the BOV or even the IC itself.

First off, does the car feel like its boosting fine, but the gauge isnt right, or does it not even feel like its boosting.

I mean, worst case the turbo itself could be fucked and not able to really generate boost.

Just start poking around for loose, or suspicious connections, hoses, clamps, T's, couplers, fix anything that is suspicious, then move on, check the BOV, then, finally start checking the wastegate and the turbo itself.

IIRC vacuum at idle should be in the neighborhood of -10psi not -20psi...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts