Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan on buying a set of gauges for my car. boost,oil pressure, and EGT. but i don't kno where to mount them. i don't want the pillar mount. any ideas of where i could mount the three gauges??

·
shortbus FTW
270 Posts
I don't own a supra, so I don't know how the console lay out is, but if you have like a stash spot or like a cubby spot under the head unit area in the center of the dash, and the gauges were small enough you could make a face plate from plastic and then cut holes in the plastic and sit em their and then just drill a hole through the back of that area and run the wire's to the needed place under the hood.. also seen afew other car's with some custom made box'es that sit up ontop of the dash, or you could ifnd those one's that use suction cups that just attatch to the windshield :D and run along the a-pillar they can look real clean if done correctly or in the passenger side dash area :D

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
You can fit a 52mm gauge into the location where the cig lighter is. Im not sure if a 60 will fit. Im fairly certan that you can fit 2 gauges in the space under the radio, and Ive also seen 2 gauges mounted where the ash tray is (with a custom plate).

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
That's gonna be tricky. I tried putting gauges down under the stereo once and again in the ashtray location and then in the cigarette lighter location. The problem with those locations is you can't see them. You have to look down to see them. That's not a good idea. They need to be in a place where you can quickly glance over and see in a split second where you are at. That's why the pillar works best. You can still keep your eyes mostly on the road and get the info from your gauges. Anywhere else you put them, it will be kind of tricky to see them when you really need to.

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
That's gonna be tricky. I tried putting gauges down under the stereo once and again in the ashtray location and then in the cigarette lighter location. The problem with those locations is you can't see them. You have to look down to see them. That's not a good idea. They need to be in a place where you can quickly glance over and see in a split second where you are at. That's why the pillar works best. You can still keep your eyes mostly on the road and get the info from your gauges. Anywhere else you put them, it will be kind of tricky to see them when you really need to.
Much agreed. I had my boost gauge in the ash tray's location for a while, but pulled it out because it was such a pain. I vote for putting them in the stock location.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey limequat did u custom make the plate to mount the gauges on the ash tray area? what kind of matereial did u use and how did u make??? any one haave pics of this setup of gauges on the ash tray .???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is my layout, nice and easy to see.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
I've mounted all necessary guages to my helmet so that they're fully visible at all times. Currently I'm working moving my eyes independantly of one another a la "chemleon". After I master this I will use a flip down crystal vital-stats display and use my right eye for data assessment and my left for driving...mounted to my helmet...of course...actually I'm using a triple pillar pod...that's the only place you can see them worth a damn. The center console locations should only be used for unimportant guages that do not need monitering.

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
supratkfy said:
hey limequat did u custom make the plate to mount the gauges on the ash tray area? what kind of matereial did u use and how did u make??? any one haave pics of this setup of gauges on the ash tray .???
No, I never got that far. I didn't want to expend the effort on something that I wouldn't like any way. I know mdcmotorsports went the ash tray route for one. Many others...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts