Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everybody. I recently purchased a 1990 toyota cressida shell and a jdm 7mge from osakajdm. I know 7m's are pretty shite, and I wanted a 1uz or 1jz, but my wallet couldn't handle it. Let me start off by saying I have next to no experience working with cars. The reason I decided to buy a shell and put a motor in is because I am starting an automotive program at my local university in september, and I thought this would be a fun learning experience (and it has been!). The reason I joined the forum is because I am in the latter stages of getting it running, but I have encountered a few problems and was hoping to get some help from some seasoned vets on here. So far I have changed the timing belt, water pump, starter, thermostat, spark plugs+wires, distributor cap+rotor, clutch, flywheel, throwout, fan clutch, and oil pump, and a few other small things. I've dropped the engine and got almost everything hooked up, but now I have hit my roadblock.

https://youtu.be/aSjf-5alxDY
I am confused where this hose goes. I know its a fuel hose, but I do not no where it lives.

I am unsure of what plugs into these housings and where they go.

Thank you very much for any help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That missing part on the back of your manifold is the device that hooks up to the EGR on t he back of the engine. Looks like this:

Not sure of the 4th pic is that the brake booster master cyl hose?

1st pic, if you're pointing to a vac line behind the filter it might be the one that leads to the power steering pump.

Not sure about that plug.

7m's are awful if you leave it stock. Just a lot more unforgiving than the jz series. I had a 7mge in my supra when I first got it trying to remeber what I had.

If your budget allows, go 2jzge from a sc300 that's very affordable and a pretty easy swap. The only thing is unless you're already wired up for an auto getting a manual tranmission is what will cost lots.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Am I like the only person who loves the 7m and believes it could've been the god "2j" if it weren't for some minor minor issues that could be easily solved. .... lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the help cowsgomoo! very helpful! :)
Joe1234 I only think 7m's are shit because every single one that friends of mine have had ran into mad oil problems, and eventually blew up lol

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thank you very much for the help cowsgomoo! very helpful!

Joe1234 I only think 7m's are shit because every single one that friends of mine have had ran into mad oil problems, and eventually blew up lol

Haha I guess to each their own! I would recommend to go with a properly built one. It'll really kick A$$

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't find it anywhere. It is so expensive. Engine World Inc in Houston is selling a rebuilt one for $1800. Has anyone bought from them ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but believe that is the return line from the fpr that's supposed to go to a metal pipe/plate that's supposed to be located where the mechanical fuel pump provision I'd on the block.... Picture below shows it on the left side of where the fuel filter is.

Attachments

·
YotaMD.com author
730 Posts
This thread is a bit of a lost cause, but I'll throw in my 0.02.

I think that hose is what goes to the "J-tube" which means that's the return line after the fuel rail. The J-tube acts as a restriction in the return line to help ensure proper fuel pressure. The J-tube is commonly removed when running a larger fuel pump as it can be a restriction with more powerful pumps.

7M's are perfectly fine for being a 30 year old engine. I've owned three cars as living proof the 7M can be a great motor if treated correctly. The 2JZ is newer, more advanced, etc..., but their both great inline 6 3L motors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts