Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a new guy here. Made an account here because I'm looking at buying a 1-owner, 105k mile 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo, auto tranny.

I am more into the Euro scene, having owned many Mercedes and BMW's over the years, but never actually taking ownership of anything Japanese.

The car I'm looking at is supposed to be really well maintained and looked after, many service records available (all done at the local Toyota dealership) and no accidents. Head gasket was also replaced about 17 years ago or so (according to the owner), it's supposed to be in real fine shape. I ran an AutoCheck and it came out clean.

Now, when it comes to pricing these things, I have heard a range of prices all over the place. One person told me he got his super low mile 88 Supra for only $2500. Someone else told me to NEVER pay more than $5k for one, no matter what the condition. Others said they can fetch more if really original... So I've come to the experts to see what advice you guys could give me. Since the owner is asking quite a lot (over $7k) I want to know what you guys would value the car at, and anything I should look over when I see the car (I have read multiple buyers guides and think I know the main problem areas to look at, but any additional advice would always be welcome).

Hopefully I'll join the Supra club, and be able to make contributions to this board, just like I have on BMW and Mercedes-Benz forums before.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yea an OEM car with 100K+ shouldn't go for more than $3500. These cars aren't new enough to fetch a decent price and not old enough to have that classic car price(I do see that happening in another 5-10 years though). A 1988 turbo auto in OEM form is not something many go after. The 1991-1992 are the rare years that can fetch high dollar if in the right condition. If you had pictures I am sure we could spot some stuff that would let us price it more accurately.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You guys are wrong. These cars have steadily been going up in value. Finding an OEM 1 owner car is pretty hard to come by. The phone was an option and really hard to find. He'll get what he wants if he's patient.

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,580 Posts
You guys are wrong. These cars have steadily been going up in value. Finding an OEM 1 owner car is pretty hard to come by. The phone was an option and really hard to find. He'll get what he wants if he's patient.
Wtf are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Fernando I agree with you somewhat. The prices are going up from looking at ads, however I am not seeing them sell. 3-4 years ago you would never see a 6k+ MKIII for sale unless it had 20k+ into it. Now you see ads for mostly clean OEM cars for close to 10k, which is crazy in my mind.

·
Nightrun Garage
365 Posts
7k is a completely fair asking price for something as mint and original as that. Hard to find that nice.

There have been quite a few in the 10-15k price range popping up lately. However this one being pre 89 and auto with red interior would bring the price down in my eyes.

I think you'd be getting a good deal if they took 5k.

·
Nightrun Garage
365 Posts
I got my 92 with 100k for 5k and it's a turbo 5 speed car. What makes you think an 88 auto with the same miles is worth more than that.
What something is worth is what people are willing to pay. Something that clean(which you don't find everyday) people would be willing to pay. For example, somebody older of age or someone that is new to supras like the OP would be willing to pay for a clean car because they are not like most young mk3 owners who want to buy them for nothing and complain when someone tries to sell one above 5k.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I agree with this very much get your hands on one of these if you can

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I guess some people don't use NADA or KBB (EH?), check the prices of private sales for these cars. Up in the low to mid teens now. BUT by all means, if you find them cheaper, get it. But when a mint one comes up don't say he is crazy because of the price, because most of you are basing it off of your everyday MKIII. And your everyday mkiii is not close to being mint at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The prices on Mk3's right now is absolutely insane. They have gone up about 50-100% over the last few years. Not sure what slurpee's everyone is drinking, but MK3's aren't worth that much lol. Paying $10k for a clean chassis for a swap isn't worth it.

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,580 Posts
What something is worth is what people are willing to pay. Something that clean(which you don't find everyday) people would be willing to pay. For example, somebody older of age or someone that is new to supras like the OP would be willing to pay for a clean car because they are not like most young mk3 owners who want to buy them for nothing and complain when someone tries to sell one above 5k.
That's completely going against the ops question. He is obviously new to supras and what's to know if one is worth that much. Sure there are new people or people with lots of cash that buy these cars at a high price and either don't know or don't care but that what he's trying to avoid

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think the most I would pay would be 5k. Its clean but it is a auto pre 89. I paid 1200 for my 2 owner 119k 89 turbo HT 5 speed. It had dropped a valve though so it needed a new engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it does seem that the max this car should go for is $5k- although it seems there is still some debate as to if it is even worth that much. I am actually due to go see the car tomorrow, as it is raining today. I want to try and get the car around $4k... I'm not dying to get a Supra or anything, I just have always thought of getting one, and this seems like a great opportunity to buy an unmolested, well maintained example. I just hope the owner won't be insulted by my offer, but we'll see what happens!

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^I already did do research with KBB, NADA, Hagerty, Edmunds. etc. The reason I posted here was because of all the different price ranges I was seeing. I think I'll just go and see it, and if it's in as good condition as he claims it is, I'll give a reasonable offer. I don't want to insult anyone, so if I feel it's not worth the asking price I'll just walk away without making an offer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I owned and have owned many great collectible cars. Nice original paint cars are worth 15-25k. People are talking notice but slowly. I sold both my Mk4 TT and kept my Mk3 which I loved more. These cars in great shape are worth more then what they are selling for at the moment. Let see what happens I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts