Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be perfectly honest, I dont know shat about Supras. I have been around turbo cars all my life, since I was about 6. I now own a 1989 Dodge Spirit turbo, and I basically grenaded the tranny, the turbo's turbine housing's seal hardended--causing it to burn oil so it smokes :rolleyes: , it overboosts, and it is now knocking (new oil pump).

Now it wont get out of 1st gear until it gets hot, so now Im pissed. Time to move on from the crappy (but fun) turbo Dodges.

So onto my question. What specific kind of Supra would be good for me? Im 17, I work two jobs, this summer I will be working around 40-50 hours a week. :dunno:

Ill be looking to buy a Supra come fall, I should have around $2,500- $3,000. I have no clue if that's enough for a decent one that wont break on me. Id prefer to have on e that's already modified.

With that said, can anyone fill me in on the "Supra Scene?"

-Bryan

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
$3,000 will only get you a MKIII. Probably not a turbo, either. Maybe not in perfect condition, either.

You're working 40-50 hours a week and you're only gonna make $3,000 this summer? Yeesh...

·
disfrutando de la vida
569 Posts
First, are you looking for an MKIII? for that ammount you may find one with lots of miles and if you are lucky it will still run. If you are looking for an MKIV you may want to save a little longer you will at least 15,000 for a NA in decent shape.

·
-insert creative remark-
478 Posts
I picked up my old MKIII for $400. Just find some idiot who doesn't know what he has. Haha. Needed body work. But still, I turned around and sold it for $1,500.

Welcome. Good luck.

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
^ with the internet pretty much everywhere finding some idiot is harder nowadays..... but 3k will find him a good MKIII ... turbo 5 spd heck fo 3 geez you'll find one is good condition too and prolly still have money left over.... im planning to do the same thing :) work my ass off this summer and at the end of summer but a mkIII no matter what kinda ... i might even find just a shell fo cheap and make my lil project ...

but to get back to the first question... what yr are you looking for ?
a MKIII or a MKIV ? 5/6spd or auto? and since you been working with T cars for the better part of yo life im assuming you want a turbo supra. eitherway just clear up the questions above and we'll be able to help you better.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,567 Posts
$3000 will buy you a shitty MKIII turbo, it will have high miles and will probably break down often.

$5000 will buy you a NICE MKIII turbo, but you may luck out and find one for a little cheaper.

You get what you pay for, some people seem to forget that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The year doesnt really matter.

My pops has been telling me that since the parts need to be shipped from Japan that all parts cost an arm and a leg. Is this true?

5spd is prefered, but it doesnt matter really.

I just want a turbo car that wont always break, and is somewhere in the 13's. I know it's a lot to ask out of a 16 year old Dodge thats not built to do this, but a Supra was designed to perform.

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
if you're tight on the money then don't buy the supra plain and simple, do a search for it and you'll find that alot.

If you're not going to buy a decent base car then you'll end up spending more just fixing it that what you bought it for. A 16 year old car will need repairs and maintenance weather it is dodge or toyota.
The parts are more expensive than say chevy but they are not as expensive as german parts like audi or bmw. You can also go to wreckers for parts.

Do yourself a favour and research the car and hang around the forums and read what you can on supras on google and such and find out what you can. Buy a good base car then work on that, also if you want a car that is allready modded then you might not want to some of the mods and you also if it wasn't done correctly then you'll have to fix that. Also if it's modded then you know it's been beaten and raced most of the time....
I bought my car in Febuary, and i'm still fixing every single thing before i get it on the road again since i'm in no hurry and i have 2 cars.
I could go on forever but i'm sure whatever i haven't told you , others will fill you in.

Save more $$$$

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
It all depends on where u live on the price range. When i lived in vegas very good shape mk3s would go for 3,000. Now here in tn u cant find a shitty one for 3,000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts