Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to say hello to all the Supra owners....

I'm a newbie with an 83 Supra. Sometime in the next 6 months I am planning the 7MGTE swap along with a host of other upgrades. I had originally planned on boosting a low compression 5M, but the 7M conversion seems to be a greater possibly for HP. Has anyone ever heard of a 2JZTE in a MKII?? That would be pretty sweet. You'll probably be hearing more from me in the future....when the money for the parts begins to roll in....

God bless...

Brandon
Threesixty Films

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Welcome threesixty! I think there have been a few people that have tried the 2jz swap but nothing else came of it. I think was Malloy that personaly saw a MKII Supra with the 2jz and 6 speed installed but the car did not run. 7m is really the motor for the MKII. The 7mgte will put out almost as much power as the 2jz and is a much easier swap, although not easy it's self. :p

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I know that Toysport stuffed a 2JZ into an 85 Celica. It's a beast. I figured if that could be done then one could be put in the Supra. Oh well, I guess I was just getting greedy for power. I think I will go with the 7M and go crazy with it. I want it to be fast...real fast. Thanks again!

·
Registered
66 Posts
What does a 7mgte swap cost?

Is it worth it or am I better off just buying a mkIII turbo? Also, how fast in the 1/4 would one be?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Re: What does a 7mgte swap cost?

Rand said:
Is it worth it or am I better off just buying a mkIII turbo? Also, how fast in the 1/4 would one be?
Well for me, this body style looks better than the MKIII and its about 600 to 700 pounds lighter. You could turbo the 5m and up your RWH by about 70, not bad for ~$1500. I'm not sure what my car does in the 1/4 mile but I did race and beat a built n/a CRX that ran a 13.8. If my car had decent wheels, tires and a driver perhaps low 13's. I have done very little with the engine mod wise execpt metal headgaskit (a must), lots-o-porting & polishing, 3" exhaust, K&N cone and the waste actuator shimmed (poor mans boost, hehe). If you go with the MKIII it's gonna cost some pretty big bux to get down into the low 13's.

Don Culberson who manages Nix99 nix99.com sells the 7mgte conversion kits or his pagesuprafriends.com That's where I got mine. :)

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Re: What does a 7mgte swap cost?

Rand said:
Better to drop the 7M-GTE in a lightweight MkII than a heavy MkIII. There is a substantial weight difference that you can never make up in a MkIII without gutting the car.

Price/peformance dropping a 7M-GTE in a low miles MkII body just makes sense.

I believe Nix99 charges $3500 to do it. Do it yourself and you could probably save yourself $1500. YMMV.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next question....

Is there an AWD transfer case that can be modified(price is no concern) to fit the 7M in the MKII??

AWD 7M powered MKII :eek: :eek: talk about a sleeper:cool:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
threesixty said:
Next question....

Is there an AWD transfer case that can be modified(price is no concern) to fit the 7M in the MKII??

AWD 7M powered MKII :eek: :eek: talk about a sleeper:cool:
Wow, now that's something I've never given any thought, a AWD MKII. Dunno if anyones done it or can be done. It would geat for off the line launches but all that extra inertia created from runing the power through a extra gear box and drive line to too wheels would cost ya some extra HP. Gotta figure just about any MKII with over 200 RWH is a sleeper. :) Our light weight and short gear ratios are a godsend.:D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wade are you running the R154 tranny?? I think I read that the W58 is just fine with a beefier clutch. Do you have the stock LSD? I know that mine is getting old...so if I do this I just might replace the whole driveline with MKIII stuff. I only have 117K miles, though. Hmmmm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
threesixty said:
Wade are you running the R154 tranny?? I think I read that the W58 is just fine with a beefier clutch. Do you have the stock LSD? I know that mine is getting old...so if I do this I just might replace the whole driveline with MKIII stuff. I only have 117K miles, though. Hmmmm:rolleyes:
I'm running a w58 tranny with the 7mge cluch disk (same as MKII) and 7mge pressure plate good for 300RWH. I've never seen a r154 conversion but it has been done. I'm not an expert here but you would have to butcher some of the tranny channel and the shifter location is a few inches back from the stock location which would require some additional butchering. :) The 7mge setup good for 300RWH isnt bad considering you would have to have about 13 to 15 psi to make it slip (depending on setup). A rebuilt w58 worked over by a 350 RWH engine should last six months if driven very hard.

When the time comes I'm gonna upgrade to a cluchmaster setup still using the w58.

Yeah, I'm still using the stock 4.30 rearend that came with the car in '85 some 265K ago. :) Works great except a small leak up top.

117K is still new by my standards man! :) My car hit 117K back in 1992, lol.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the W58 would be fine as long as the clutch and flywheel application are suited for the HP? If so, then buying a new clutch seems so much better than a new tranny....

One more thing before I hit the bed...

I read somewhere that it's not wise to mess with the suspension on the MKII. That by lowering the car at all would mess up the IRS. Is this true? Eventually I would like to give it about an inch drop, but not unless it could be set up to run and handle properly.

OK, maybe two more things...

I don't really like any of the body kits that are made for the MKII. I don't really know how body shops work either, but I have heard that a body kit of relatively the same dimensions could be molded to fit another car. Fact or fiction? If so, the Testarossa conversion for the MKIII would be sweet:D :D :D OK, maybe not as cool as I thought. I just want my car to be different you know?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
threesixty said:
So the W58 would be fine as long as the clutch and flywheel application are suited for the HP? If so, then buying a new clutch seems so much better than a new tranny....

Correct.

One more thing before I hit the bed...

I read somewhere that it's not wise to mess with the suspension on the MKII. That by lowering the car at all would mess up the IRS. Is this true? Eventually I would like to give it about an inch drop, but not unless it could be set up to run and handle properly.

Well some spring kits might lower the car by 1" which isnt too bad. With some Addco sway bars, stiffer springs, good shocks & struts with some 17x9 rims and you will have a high speed handling machine.

OK, maybe two more things...

I don't really like any of the body kits that are made for the MKII. I don't really know how body shops work either, but I have heard that a body kit of relatively the same dimensions could be molded to fit another car. Fact or fiction? If so, the Testarossa conversion for the MKIII would be sweet:D :D :D OK, maybe not as cool as I thought. I just want my car to be different you know?
Heh-heh, I have no clue when it comes to body kits. They seem kinda ghey, maybe 80% ghey? Each to their own on that one. :)

·
2,275 Posts
Bumping a 15 year old thread I think is grounds for perma ban!

·
Addict
1,120 Posts
Eh, its the only thread in the MKII section, and his first post .. haha not a main thread like mkiv or mkiii.

if you dont already know...
Try going to www.celicasupra.com
It will have guides.. and other members who have turboed there 5ms

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-5MGTE-6MGTE-7MGTE-turbo-forum

Try and take a little time with your English and grammar.
If your questions aren't clear or understandable no one will take there time to help you.. as everyone has done there part in spoon feeding.

Take your time and do some research before you start asking a ton of questions as its all out there. and you will learn more from finding it out yourself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts