Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supra Fender Covers PM me
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have been getting my 60 k tuneup list ready and after reading about all the hoses and vac lines coming off i was wondering if it would be a good idea just to go through and replace all of them anyways.
I am not really down with doing it in all red or blue or anything, i was wondering if anyone had just bought new factory hoses??
And if so how much
Thanks

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing them why would you go with stock rubber hoses that will eventually give you the same problems? Why not go with silicone but stick with black if you want the stock look. They're most heat and chemical resistant so they'll age much better.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
It can't hurt to replace hoses. Rather than buying factory hoses, you'd be best served to buy a Hose Tech. Kit from MVP (in black if that is your choice) and then buy some good quality Zip Ties (you can tell the cheap ones by looking at them) and then using them on the ends of each hose. The is basically what my car has, I never have hoses pop off. It couldn't hurt to replace your upper and lower radiator hoses if they haven't been replaced yet.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
RSA,

I was looking at the hose techniques kit, but it seems pricy when you look at the cost of silcone hose by itself. Do you think its worth the price or would I be better served by measuring them and putting together my own kit? I don't suppose they gave you a list of the hoses and sizes did they?

·
Supra Fender Covers PM me
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was kinda thinking about buying factory ones since you know that they are meant for boost, but i am not sure if hose tech are better or not. I would assume factory hoses would be cheaper but then again i think this is why i asked, not really to sure about much. Has anyone bought new fact hoses and if so how much.
Thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
except for the specialy molded one I doubt that a Toyota dealer would import hoses and such from Japan more likly they order and stock localy made ones I bought the kit form Hose techniques it is not that expensive considering the amount of hoses they give you. I felt is was worth the money they also stock the turbo connection hoses now too and T clamps. The rubber hoses deterioate and leak and should be replaced sooner or later IMHO.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
This is from the mkiv mailing list. Hope it helps.

"3.5mm: 15ft<------About 6-7 feet left over
4mm: 10ft <----- About 3 feet left over
6mm: 25ft <---- Enough for 2 Supra's and a 65 mustang ;-)
8mm: 9ft<------ About 1 foot left over
10mm: 1 ft <-- About the right amount
These are the amounts included in the kit for the MKIV....WAY...WAY....WAY
too much hose (As Dusty told me...LOL) But the quality is great.

I replaced every single hose I could get my hands on. I think there were
only one or two that were just impossible to reach and they ran under the
traction control or something and I didn't have the car up on stands, but I
think the same sizes would have worked perfectly.

Chad "I have vacuum" H.
94TT Auto BPU"

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm in the middle of installing a T 78 turbo kit and decided to replace all of my coolant hoses. I ordered all Toyota hoses from Jeff Watson in Houston. A Supra blew a coolant hose here in the Dallas area 2 weeks ago at 160+ mph, spinning and crashing. Made it an easy decision to call Jeff. Here is the list and the total cost.
Upper and Lower radiator hoses
heater hoses ( 3 sections w/ metal nipple)
upper hose outlet housing gasket and 2 o rings
thermostat and gasket
(not related but included in the total cost): upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gaskets, gasket for fuel pump bracket,2 gaskets for banjo fitting at the pump bracket

Total cost for all was $68.65

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
So all they do is send you big section of each size? For the price they're asking I would think they should have an itemized list saying for example:

Charcoal canister to whatever: 4mm, 12 inches long
etc...

Thanks for the list you posted though...it gives me good starting place.

·
Registered
658 Posts
So all they do is send you big section of each size? For the price they're asking I would think they should have an itemized list saying for example:
why bother? you take a section off measure it and replace it one section at a time it could not be any simpler. Alternately bu some tubing from them or other buy the ties buy the cutter and slitter and do it yourself.

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
Nice A-10 there lonestar, you fly?

I have 127K and im yet to blow a vaccum hose. ONly the one thats on top of the vsv that causes number 2 to open and the EGR one broke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts