1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of changing up...again.

My ideas this time around came up with:

JL Audio 500/1 to power 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfects

JL Audio 300/4, bridged to power 150x2 to an undecided front set.

I'm still debating on whether or not to jump into a 3 way system up front.

A shallow 6.5" mid bass, 4" mid and 1" tweeter molded into a kick pod??

Ideas anyone?

Brian

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
I've not heard the kappa perfects so I can't really comment on them. I'd have to say that they would be a step down from your previous eclipse alums tho! For subs, if I had mine to do over again, I would go with a single 12" ported and tuned low for good sq. I recently heard a 12" eclipse alum tuned to 26hz, powered with a 500 watt memphis amp, in a 2cu/ft box and it absolutely rocked! Just going by ear it would edge out my 2 12's sealed with 1100 watts.

For the fronts, most definetly go with a 3 way set!!! I"ve heard good things about the focal utopia's, if you don't mind dropping the mega cheese for em that is. 150 on those focal's would sound amazing I bet

·
Mechanical Engineer
242 Posts
I have one Kappa Perfect 12.1 with 350Wrms. Its more of a SQ sub, but with two then you should have no trouble getting some more SPL.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going 100% SQ with my setup, and I"m wanting a little more power on the subs.

Eclipse subs are amazingly huge!!! I need the ability to throw on a grille to protect whatever sub(s) I pick next. I still need a semi-functional hatch, or is that an oxy-moron? LOL.

Maybe I'll do the 3 way up front first, and experiment with that.

Any negatives to installing the 4" mid in the door, and the 6.5" midbass in the kick pod? Vice versa? Tweet will go in the pod as well.

Brian

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
If you tune the ported box low enough, like 30hz or below, you will have very good sq and pick up at least 3db vs a sealed box.

On the front stage, I would say put the mid bass in the door and the mid and tweet in the pod. Reason being, the midbass will be more non directional. When you build the pods you can aim them properly and get a great soundstage with the mids/tweets going the same direction. One other thing, if your using rear fill, I would lose them from the set up. With a 3 way up front, that will make a killer sq car and you don't want rear speakers bringing the stage rearward. I've tossed the idea around of adding a 6.5-8" midbass in mine and tossing the rear speakers out. Then, using my 4 channel amp, I would run the front channel to the mid/tweet and use the rear channel to run the midbass. That way, I could fade in more or less midbass as needed. Just a thought :)

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No rear fill for me. I've been listening to the fronts only for about 1 year, and I like that setup the best.

After thinking it over, I might dive into the 3 way project in about a month. I think the focals are too large to fit into the door, though.

Brian

parboy said:
If you tune the ported box low enough, like 30hz or below, you will have very good sq and pick up at least 3db vs a sealed box.

On the front stage, I would say put the mid bass in the door and the mid and tweet in the pod. Reason being, the midbass will be more non directional. When you build the pods you can aim them properly and get a great soundstage with the mids/tweets going the same direction. One other thing, if your using rear fill, I would lose them from the set up. With a 3 way up front, that will make a killer sq car and you don't want rear speakers bringing the stage rearward. I've tossed the idea around of adding a 6.5-8" midbass in mine and tossing the rear speakers out. Then, using my 4 channel amp, I would run the front channel to the mid/tweet and use the rear channel to run the midbass. That way, I could fade in more or less midbass as needed. Just a thought :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Let me know how the 3-way system works, this is what I want to do with a set of Boston Pro 6.53.
I have to agree with parboy, you would be much better with the 6.5 speaker in the door because it is more non directional than the 4. With the kick panel setup you would be going for closer to equal length system and the higher frequencies are what you want to do this with. The lower frequencies do not matter as much.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Elemental Designs will walk all over a Kappa.

I have heard them both, so this isn't a random thought, here.

Personally, I would go with Adire Audio for pure, unadulterated SQ, with the ability to get loud as fawk.

If you truly want an SQ system, I would go with a 15" A or a 15" Brahma..

the A has more transient response than the Brahma due to the flat nomex cone, but doesn't have the flat BL response that the Brahma has.

http://adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/brahma_series.htm

http://edesignaudio.com/ep2/15a.htm

[edit] I forgot about the king of SQ.. Stereo Integrity.

http://www.stereointegrity.com/subwoofers.html

I have not heard these IRL, but they have been praised all over the net. Whenever SQ comes up, SI is mentioned. But again, I haven't heard them, so check for yourself :)

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
I really wanna hear some W7s... everyone is raving about em. Get a W7>.<

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Zylo said:
Overpriced, mechanical sounding hunks of shit.

bah I say.. bah.
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

brianb: if you want just quality you could just get some cheaper alpines and maybe alpine or MTX amps, the JL amps are too expensive to be running kappas for sq (its not really worth paying so much for those)
the JL for the highs would sound pretty good but again alpine would sound just as good, i'm getting an alpine amp for my highs.
if you don't know what speakers to go with for the highs i would reccomend MB Qarts, its $$$ but worth every penny, other wise you could get Kapps for that also, those sound really good too.

PS i never thanked you for using the idea of building that type of box in my trunk, thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts