Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the Supra world and am excited to receive my JDM 1993 Supra in a few weeks, imported directly from Japan. I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area and was wondering about a few things.
  1. What should be the first things I should do when I receive the car? I'm taking it directly to my buddy's shop to change out oil and give it a once over. Should I also change out tranny fluid and power steering? Any suggestions are appreciated.
  2. What recommended shops are there that are Supra Specific in the nearby area? I understand that most of them would probably be near the coast, like around either Jersey or Baltimore area.
The car has about 37k miles and the only mods are: WORK racing wheels, HKS exhaust, Coilovers, and a 1998 Supra aerio kit.
Hope to hear from others and can't wait to get on the road. :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
First, i would change all fluids if you are going to keep the car.

Also, (even it is low mileage):
-Cambelt, if not changed (just in case)
-Crank pulley to new (will break eventually)
-Aux belt
-Spark plugs

Is it TT or NA? Auto/manu?

·
iSPOOL
1,418 Posts
Weld your timing gear if you're changing your timing belt. If you have the money get rid of the stock crank pulley and get a harmonic balancer simply because it will separate with age.

·
iSPOOL
1,418 Posts
Also welcome to the 2jz clan! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, i would change all fluids if you are going to keep the car.

Also, (even it is low mileage):
-Aux belt
-Spark plugs

Is it TT or NA? Auto/manu?
It is TT.

·
handy with the steel
416 Posts
-Aux belt
-Spark plugs
All of this, plus it will probably need new vacuum hoses. The rubber gets brittle and cracks over time, so going through it now will probably save you some headache down the road. An added benefit of going through all of the vacuum lines is that you will gain an understanding of the sequential turbo system so you can troubleshoot it better if you ever encounter issues. Same goes for any other rubber lines on the car such as radiator and heater hoses, etc.

Spin the belt tensioner and listen to the bearing, if it sounds gravely replace the tensioner.

While you're changing out the crank pulley check the front main seal and cam seals. If leaking replace them.

A couple of "while you're in there" things to consider when swapping the crank pulley would be a billet timing belt tensioner bracket and water pump. The billet tensioner bracket is highly recommended when upgrading the cams and it's a PITA to access since you have to remove the crank pulley. Water pump is just one of those things that eventually goes on every car. They're not expensive and easy to swap out when you've got the front of the engine pulled apart like you will. Cheap insurance against being overheated on the side of the road. Make sure you refill the coolant with Red Toyota coolant and distilled water.

Other things that come to mind are to inspect the brakes + brake lines, wheel bearings, steering rack bushings, boots, and tie rod ends.

Once you get it running and reliable then the fun stuff can start! Best bang for your buck is going to be a catless downpipe and boost controller...depending on what you go with you'd have close to 400whp for less than $500.

Post some pics when you get her and welcome to the club.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts