Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A few of you know me from most of the TK2 meets
and know I love to roadrace...well I picked up for me and my wife
a new Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige a few weeks ago.

Still breakin her in but a very fun car to drive on the street.
Have not had a chance to drive it on a road course yet
but I think will be much quicker than my 97 Supra.

Feel free to ask any ? Thanks Mark Brown
 

· www.ziptieracing.com
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
congrats!

what options did you get?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
depepnds on what kind of course if faster or not...

I remember Derek Wang... didnt he own/drive an meullerized Evo and smashed it up?

n
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,395 Posts
nils said:
depepnds on what kind of course if faster or not...

I remember Derek Wang... didnt he own/drive an meullerized Evo
True. This was at Pacific Raceways, which is a relatively tight course.

Yep -- Derek's a good guy and a good driver. He races shifter karts more than anything these days.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
quick said:
True. This was at Pacific Raceways, which is a relatively tight course.

Yep -- Derek's a good guy and a good driver. He races shifter karts more than anything these days.
I felt bad when I saw the evo wreck pics... Derek seemed like a nice guy. Talked with him via to4r site back in the day.

n
 

· Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Wow nice car. Thats my dream car, in the perfect color no less.

since you say feel free to ask, I notice your in Dallas. Any chance of giving some poor shmuck such as me a ride sometime at an autocross event or something? :ugh2:
Sorry, had to at least ask. lol
But yeah, nice car. Congrats.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NickBW said:
Wow nice car. Thats my dream car, in the perfect color no less.

since you say feel free to ask, I notice your in Dallas. Any chance of giving some poor shmuck such as me a ride sometime at an autocross event or something? :ugh2:
Sorry, had to at least ask. lol
But yeah, nice car. Congrats.
I dont autocross but I have been known to give rides in my Supra.

Mark B.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Congrats. I was chasing one around Mosport International on Monday. Looked very stable and it was able to pull my BPU slightly on the straights. His had an RSX motor in it (maybe that's stock???), and had a few mods...and more planned including Wilwood brakes. He said he's removing everything Rover on the car... which didn't mean anything to me. Lotus just recently started selling in Canada I believe. Awesome looking car...enjoy!

Bruce
 

· www.ziptieracing.com
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
PineappleMonkey said:
Definitely, stock for stock the Exige will be quicker then an elise. There's even a european version that adds a supercharger :bowdown:

I'd love an Exige, maybe one day soon. ;)
actually, they sold the supercharged version here too as a 2006 model. Granted it was a full caged club racer version, but they DID sell it. Very limited quantity from what I'm told. (10?)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
PineappleMonkey said:
The new Lotus elise/exige come with the celica's 2ZZ-FE engine. Unless you are talking about the older versions which did come with the Rover's 1.8 series (about 170 some odd hp I believe). People did do honda engine swaps in early models so in an exige it wouldn't be that far from impossible at all. :)
It was actually a 225 hp RSX motor. His builder/mechanic was there and they were discussing the engine mount problems. It had the longest header I've ever seen in an engine bay that looked empty and cavernous except for this small engine. They are Honda crazy and said that every time they do a mod on the Lotus it gets closer to being a Honda :)

They're also building an NSX bodied tube frame racer out of two wrecked NSX's they bought. He wants to twin turbo charge it for 500 whp on low boost!

Bruce
 

· Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Nice pick up!

I've been battling on whether or not to buy one with the track pack.

Anyway, if you want more power there are a few companies that make supercharger and turbo charger kits specifically for the Elise/Exige. From initial reports the kits need a bit more work to make them perfect but are very promising.

Check out EliseTalk for more details and try not to spin her out (every Lotus owner seems to do this at least once on the track)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
URNDWAY said:
Nice pick up!

I've been battling on whether or not to buy one with the track pack.

Anyway, if you want more power there are a few companies that make supercharger and turbo charger kits specifically for the Elise/Exige. From initial reports the kits need a bit more work to make them perfect but are very promising.

Check out EliseTalk for more details and try not to spin her out (every Lotus owner seems to do this at least once on the track)
I did not order the car. Someone backed out because
it was ordered w/Track pack but delivered without.

I would want to use Ohlins anyway and not the Bilsteins that come w/ track pack.

All supercharger & Turbo kits are only for 05's 06's have drive by wire

I did run into Jarrett from PHR and he was already figuring out where to put the Turbo.

I am concerned about spinning as I have never driven a mid engine car on track.

Thanks for all your comments. I am having fun Mark B.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
The Lotus Exige and the Lotus Elise are my favorite cars to "pick on" at track days. Just call me jealous. In that I developed my CRX along the same lines as the Lotus theory, light weight, great handling, good power to weight but mine is "wrong wheel drive". Nice car.
I liked this 220hp limited edition Euro Elise I ran with last April. And this Exige.



Driving a mid-engine car is in a way like driving a FWD. Whatever you have done at corner entry well you got what you got and you better not back out of it. Once you get to the apex well everything is fine as long as you haven't run out of track. Overcook it in my car and at times you have to roll into the gas to pull it out. I drove a comptech modded NSX which I thought was a lot of fun from corner entry to apex. One day I hope to get a student who will let me drive their Exige.

Barry H.

 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top