Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks to x-man for this!

back when he got the car he got a new lower rad hose for his 88t. it looked different than the hose for my 90 which has all the loops in it. had thought it was redesigned since the introduction of progressive power steering. thought nothing of it. fast forward to 2006. to gain more clearance for the 3" ic piping he went to pick up an 88 hose from napa which is much more direct shot to the radiator and no goofy loops. they come out w/ a hose that looks just like the factory. hmm. he goes to several other places and same story. he called back to napa to find his purchase records. somehow they have records from 5yrs ago haha. ends up he has an 86 celica supra 5m lower hose. part number 7777. of course at the time thought nothing of it since it fit right like it should. a whole $17 from napa. i cant help but to think aside from the extra clearance for big ic piping the more direct route will help with coolant flow as well. now, there is 1/8" clearance between the hose and the p/s bracket, which since 2001 has been fine. but just for good measure mine was convinced to have 3/8" clearance. a tad bit on the radiator end had to be trimmed, but this may be due to the fact i have the pwr radiator which is thicker.

enough rambling, on with the pic. buddy just received his today and will take more pics of the stock vs the 5m.

dave

·
way over budget
664 Posts
that's pretty cool. good to know for future reference, unfortunately once this thread gets offf the first page it will become unknown by 99% of sf.com again. Also, nice to finally see a small pic of your car, I know you never post pics.

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
interesting, but it would have been much more useful to me 2 weeks ago before I bought a nice brand new loopy-one. maybe i'll try it out...
I'll be sure to get pix when i do.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
i'll probaly pick it up for the heck of it, if i dont like it i'll return it or some thin

·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys! i have been thinking about taking a few pics comparing the hoses today and submitting it to the tips and faq section.

twigger- yes it works with pps. i have a 90 and all the ps equipment is in place.

lowbudget- im feeling rowdy. i'll post a small in progess pic.

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
dbsupra said:
thanks guys! i have been thinking about taking a few pics comparing the hoses today and submitting it to the tips and faq section.

twigger- yes it works with pps. i have a 90 and all the ps equipment is in place.

Very nice discovery on the lower rad pipe Dave. Good work. Mk3 community is lucky to have mk3 gurus such as yourself still around. :bigthumb:

dbsupra said:

WOW, :drool:. Engine bay looks simply amazing . Cant wait to see it done. Im more than Impressed. :)

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,950 Posts
dbsupra said:

This needs to be put in the faq as a reference Dave. I am gonna go get one this week. I hate my coolant hose in the way when doing other things. Thanks for the heads up. ;) :wavey:

·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i appreciate it guys!

but really, like i said it was by accident. i guess in this case napa deserves the credit for screwing up haha.

im just merely posting the info here, hoping someone will benefit. if it wasnt for x-man and his detective skills, we would have been clueless.

·
Registered
53 Posts
where did you get that ffim? you make it, or buy it?

·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
harry89supra said:
kind looks like its gunna be even harder than befor to get your oil filter off? maby its just the angle of the pict.
no it isnt in the way at all. like i said it made a lot more clearance. perhaps you mean the ic piping? there is clearance there too, its just the angle that makes it look close.

ionitc- built it. it was a design i came up with, cut it out of cardboard as a prototype, then sean welded it up. it is about as big as you can make it. has a lot of volume in the rear even, just kinda hard to tell because the harness is in the way in that pic. it is still untested, but i think it should flow well. time will tell.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i bought one of these from autozone from an 85 supra...so i dunno if its the same thing but if not and it wont fit i will just return it.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
lowbudgettarga said:
that's pretty cool. good to know for future reference, unfortunately once this thread gets offf the first page it will become unknown by 99% of sf.com again.

I figure since this statement is totally true, and I had to search to find it, I'll put it back on the front page for a few hours :p

·
Supra Tech
1,750 Posts
I've been searching all morning and have found conflicting information and broken pic links. I've looked in the FAQ, MKII, MKiv sections and google. This is just the latest thread so the necro-bump wouldn't be that bad. I'm reading that the 5m lower hose need some trimming but will fit and rub a bit on the pps ps bracket. I've also read that a mkiv tt lower hose will fit and clears nicely. Can anyone clear this up please as my motor should be going in soon? And if you have pics that would be great too.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i dont have any pics with me right now of the hose. But i still have one on my car. It works fine, i never trimmed it, but i recently did trim it since i got 3" piping done and it fits a little better. Its probably like 5" shorter than that stock hose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts