Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is # 1 on the reserve list. He is purchasing the car for close to 75 grand.

He said it'll spand the E55, Cobra, Viper, Vette, etc., etc., with four doors.

Damn, these German automobile makers are truly sticking it to Japanese and American car makers.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
iluvpsi said:
He said it'll spand the E55, Cobra, Viper, Vette, etc.,
Not according to Road & Track magazine. A good BPU MKIV will spank an M5:

"Using Launch Control, expect 0-60-mph times somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5 seconds and the quarter-mile around 13 flat."

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: Re: new M5: 500 HP of complete madness!!!

Then R&T should disable that launch control, since it's obviously preventing them from running the mid to low 12 that the car will do stock.

FYRARMS said:
Not according to Road & Track magazine. A good BPU MKIV will spank an M5:

"Using Launch Control, expect 0-60-mph times somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5 seconds and the quarter-mile around 13 flat."

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Re: Re: Re: new M5: 500 HP of complete madness!!!

Scott94TT said:
Then R&T should disable that launch control, since it's obviously preventing them from running the mid to low 12 that the car will do stock.
Who has run low 12's in a new M5? I would like to see that.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
Re: Re: Re: new M5: 500 HP of complete madness!!!

Scott94TT said:
It might have 500 hp but it still weighs in at over 2 tons. The Viper is significantly less then that and it barely runs a low 12 with 500 hp.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: new M5: 500 HP of complete madness!!!

G said:
It might have 500 hp but it still weighs in at over 2 tons. The Viper is significantly less then that and it barely runs a low 12 with 500 hp.
:agreed:

My friend's modified Jaguar XJR is similar in weight to the M5. He has close to 450hp and has run a best of 12.88 on drag radials.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: new M5: 500 HP of complete madness!!!

That's just a guesstimate. I'd bet it's a lot more accurate than your 13-second time though, that's closer to what the current M5 does. It does way 2 tons, but it's also got 507 HP and a 7 speed sequential transmission that should have no problem keeping the car in it's powerband.

FYRARMS said:
Who has run low 12's in a new M5? I would like to see that.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: new M5: 500 HP of complete madness!!!

Scott94TT said:
a 7 speed sequential transmission that should have no problem keeping the car in it's powerband.
Just be aware that semi-auto transmissions are not known for shifting quickly. Hopefully the BMW engineers were able to sort it out.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: new M5: 500 HP of complete madness!!!

I totally agree with you there, the pseudo-sequential transmissions I've driven like the Tiptronic in a Boxster are pretty bad. The SMG in the new M5 should shift quicker than a person can though, I've read the SMG 2 in the E46 M3 does... I would have loved to pick up a used M3 or M5 but I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty.

FYRARMS said:
Just be aware that semi-auto transmissions are not known for shifting quickly. Hopefully the BMW engineers were able to sort it out.

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
Last october at Englishtown there was a bone stock E55 driven by a 50 yr old that made three passes 12.0, 12.0, 12.1 at 120mph, even car and driver got a 12.3. I doubt the M5 stock is going to beat that and the E55 is easily midifiable. I only think the M5 is a better looking car.
-Mani

·
2014 E63 S
2,517 Posts
2006 M5 : 4,035 lbs, 500 hp
2006 Z06: 3,130 lbs, 500 hp

Sorry to dissappoint your friend, but the M5 has no chance. Even base Vettes are running flat 12's.

BTW, M5's cost $90,000, where did he order one for $75k?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is this another, "My dad has a Uber rare car that he bought for X dollars. Am i cool now" thread?

·
Registered
237 Posts
How could the new M5 run a 13 flat when I've personally seen the older 400hp M5 run a 13.1 ?

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
the old m5 lookes so much better than the newer m5....

I just cant seem to find grounds to "like" the angular styling...

And the m5 is fast. Your comparing cars with 1/4 mile speeds of 120 mph, and 12-13's.. FACTORY.

ANYTHING with 500hp is going to be fast. Given the weight of the car is within limits of the normal 4 door sedan or 2 door coupe'.

The car is badass whichever way you look at it....and it sure as hell sounds nice too!;)

-Jonathan

·
Registered
5 Posts
RossoCorsaItaly said:
How bad do you guys think the current M5 will depreciate?
Good question. I think the 2000-2004 M5 will take a relatively minor dive (10%) because it is perceived to be more attractive and is available with a true manual transmission.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Tubbed 72 Nova said:
Good question. I think the 2000-2004 M5 will take a relatively minor dive (10%) because it is perceived to be more attractive and is available with a true manual transmission.

Truth is spoken here.

What is happening to society? All these lazy rich guys wanting manu-matics....ugggghhhh

I cannot stand the SMG trannies...of course they shift fast...but the mechanics HATE them at BMW of Nashville....the owner told my father ( when we test drove a M3 convertable last year) that he would NOT sell the SMG to anyone....its that bad of a tranny...

i think he said somwhere in the realm of 80% of the M3's they sold in 2003/4 had tranny problems of some sort?

weird...

just ramblings but does serve a point in the thread.

-Jonathan

1 - 20 of 43 Posts