Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently sold my 911..and bought a mark iv tt auto.. mostly stock except for exhaust and bov..

can some one help with some issues..?
i have big plans for the car.. like restoring to almost perfect condition..

for now.. car has some boost cut.. from what i read its due to exhaust and intake..
any newer ways other than bcc to let the car drive normal.. also no boost gauge yet so dont know what its boosting..

also if i must any recomendations for adding a bcc without cutting the harness..?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Look for a used BCC. Freddy is nice but you may be able to find others. You would need a patch harness so you don't cut the original harness. Should be able to get that from Chase Bay or tweak.

·
handy with the steel
390 Posts
A boost controller will only let you run higher boost, it wont keep it any lower.

Factory is 11ish IIRC, boost cut at 15ish

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
if your boost is spiking and you dont want to add a BCC i would recomend you put the stock cats back on. dont think it should be hitting boost cut with just a downpipe tho but its been years since ive ran without a BCC.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As noted above, buy a patch harness to connect between your ECU and harness. They are like $300. Then you can wire in a BCC into the patch harness (its like 4 wires) and install. This will save you from cutting up your factory harness. I know its expensive, but I have a piece of mind that my harness has not been modified or cut in any way....

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have a stock 2jzgte vvti on my supra, just straight 3'' pipe and front intercooler, everything else is factory and the car hits 14 psi peek then goes down to 13.7-13.9 no boost cut, its great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes i will do plugs 1st and then do the boost cut controller..already found one waiting for it as we speak..

this is what i sold to buy the supra..38k miles..
i really want to make the supra feel as close to new as possible..it has some megan coil overs.. i had kw v3 on the porsche.. so it feels very loose and soft in comparison..

1st is getting the engine to run 100%.. plugs coils and if needed the bcc..
then a 6spd swap..
anyone know where to find a decent price patch harness? i will end up with an aem in the future.. so dont want to spend too much on temporary mods..

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Interesting to see someone go Supra from 911, usually I see that go the other way. May I ask what your motivation was for going this direction? Not at all a bad decision, it's just a curious observation.

What are your goals / intentions for the car? Simple upgrades and keep it mostly stock? Mild upgrades like turbo and plumbing? Full on bonkers highway racer? Nothing wrong with any approach, but best to have a goal in mind, as you say to avoid temporary mods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting to see someone go Supra from 911, usually I see that go the other way. May I ask what your motivation was for going this direction? Not at all a bad decision, it's just a curious observation.

What are your goals / intentions for the car? Simple upgrades and keep it mostly stock? Mild upgrades like turbo and plumbing? Full on bonkers highway racer? Nothing wrong with any approach, but best to have a goal in mind, as you say to avoid temporary mods.
it was just time for something different.. porsche was a dream car..supra was next in line..
goal is a 650hp street car with ac and powersteering..
keep it simple.. just make interior new again.. anything i can still buy that needs replacement..

·
handy with the steel
390 Posts
goal is a 650hp street car with ac and powersteering..
You will likely need to go with E85 to hit that. Not a huge deal, but you will need to replace basically the entire fuel system. If you want to stick to 93, then a typical street Supra setup looks something like what I've got (see sig). ~67mm turbo, cams with duration in the 260s, fuel and ecu upgrades as needed/wanted. You could expect mid to high 500s to the wheels on this with a very reasonable idle and powerband. If you upgrade the fuel system to handle E85, then the same combo can easily surpass 650...more like 750-800, depending on how big you go on injectors and how froggy you feel with the stock bottom end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will likely need to go with E85 to hit that. Not a huge deal, but you will need to replace basically the entire fuel system. If you want to stick to 93, then a typical street Supra setup looks something like what I've got (see sig). ~67mm turbo, cams with duration in the 260s, fuel and ecu upgrades as needed/wanted. You could expect mid to high 500s to the wheels on this with a very reasonable idle and powerband. If you upgrade the fuel system to handle E85, then the same combo can easily surpass 650...more like 750-800, depending on how big you go on injectors and how froggy you feel with the stock bottom end.
there isnt any e85 in my area.. so i will go as high as possible on 93.. but even 550whp is plenty.. just want a fun street car.. car has 176k miles so i will end up either getting forged internals or refreshing the engine..

not looking for a 1000hp car that only goes forward.. handling and brakes are also important..

want to clean up the mess too..

·
handy with the steel
390 Posts
Going single will enable you to clean up / delete A LOT of the rats nest in the engine bay. My recommendation, when the time comes, is to go ahead and pull the engine to do the install. It's not nearly as difficult as you would think, and it will give you an opportunity to clean the engine bay + delete unnecessary junk, plus it will make getting the stock twins out a whole lot easier.

As for the chassis, there are a few things you can do to improve handling. Do-Luck floor braces and cross bar are popular. I have the floor braces and I can confirm they make a big difference. Titan makes a bolt in roll cage....personally I think the roll protection it offers is dubious, but it certainly looks like it would do a lot to stiffen the chassis if nothing else. Beyond that there are the obvious things like coil overs and bushings. One cheap and quick swap you can do to improve steering feel is go to polyurethane bushings on the steering rack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going single will enable you to clean up / delete A LOT of the rats nest in the engine bay. My recommendation, when the time comes, is to go ahead and pull the engine to do the install. It's not nearly as difficult as you would think, and it will give you an opportunity to clean the engine bay + delete unnecessary junk, plus it will make getting the stock twins out a whole lot easier.

As for the chassis, there are a few things you can do to improve handling. Do-Luck floor braces and cross bar are popular. I have the floor braces and I can confirm they make a big difference. Titan makes a bolt in roll cage....personally I think the roll protection it offers is dubious, but it certainly looks like it would do a lot to stiffen the chassis if nothing else. Beyond that there are the obvious things like coil overs and bushings. One cheap and quick swap you can do to improve steering feel is go to polyurethane bushings on the steering rack.
oh nice.. thanks for the info.. the steering does feel very loose..i will order those soon.. and the do-luck floor brace sounds like a good mod.. i would have prefered a hard top.. but those are hard to get..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts