Supra Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
what bushings would need replacement in a mark iv.. also where to get them from? what brands make them? thats something i will need to do..
Couple others answered the question better than I could. All my experience in building a car is from the Mk3, same concepts, often different vendors and brands though.

For reference, if it's made of rubber, it was replaced on my car. Everything on mine is urethane, with the exception of one particular bearing in the rear suspension that I believe is a Toyota replacement. Not sure if the Mk4 has that same issue, I know the suspensions are similar, but unique enough that I'm not well enough informed to give solid advice, sorry.

Either way, end result? I autocross my Supra, and it's a hoot. Between all the suspension work (really nothing exotic or anything, just poly bushings everywhere and tubular control arms where available), and the OS Giken diff, the car is VERY easy to control, and once it's dialed in, there really aren't any bad behaviors. I've only spun the car maybe three times in... hundreds of runs?

All that said, my wife's Mk4 still handles SO nice, despite being largely stock. I can imagine if I do the same mods to her car (if she decides to go that route someday) that I did to mine in the handling department, her car will be an absolute sweet heart to drive.

·
handy with the steel
414 Posts
I've only spun the car maybe three times in... hundreds of runs?

Pffft sounds like you need to send it harder, Brad!?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Pffft sounds like you need to send it harder, Brad!?
Heh, everybody says that until I let them behind the wheel and they can barely drive the car, and I have yet to have anyone beat my time in my own car... :p

Two of the spins, I clearly remember, and it was the result of a clutch kick that was a bit too aggressive. With my old turbo setup it was a challenge to keep the thing spooled up, almost had to drive it like an 80's F1 turbo car... The most recent spin, I've watched the video dozens of times trying to figure out what happened, and I honestly don't know, it was almost as if I suddenly hit an oil slick it happened so fast.

All that said, sending it harder is always the plan. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It sounds like you want to keep a stock supra. But, you also want to have a powerful and fun car.
In that case, I'd recommend just pulling the entire engine, transmission, harness, exhaust, fuel system, etc. and put it all in storage. That way you can sell the car with all of the OEM original kit in the future.
If you want to have a good reliable daily driver with a fresh suspension, you're going to have to replace all those parts. As for the suspension, the bushings are all probably shot. If you can find a TRD replacment set, go with that. It's like the Mugen bushing kit, all rubber, just stiffer. Probably pretty rare now though. EnergySuspension probably sells them all in urethane. Doesn't last as long, and is stiffer, but it will make the chassis feel a lot tighter. Get the coilovers replaced and tower bars.
Oh, and if you're going to replace the engine and transmission, replace the ECU and wiring. Don't get the AEM, get either an EMU or MoTeC and custom harness for whatever engine you're using.
no, nothing like that.. not trying to keep car as an investment and sell stock later.. i just want to make a fun street car that handles good.. not really a fan of drag racing..

but i want something that feels solid so bushings will probably all get done eventualy.. but i also dont want a car that rattles your brain out cause all the mounts are solid..been there already and not for me..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Gotcha. Poly bushings are going to tighten up the suspension a lot. But, you're riding on super old rubber, so just replacing the bushings with new OEM rubber ones will make a noticeable difference.

You shouldn't need to crack open the engine for the power levels you want. For the transmission, I recommend the Z370 swap. Shifter is in the perfect location, it can handle a ton of power (more than double what you're after), and they're cheap as hell.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts