Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new guy here. 25yo, currently saving/shopping/working out funding. I work in the oil and gas industry as an engineer. Lived all over, CA, FL, overseas, now TX. Owned an STi and an S2000 prior, currently daily around a Silverado SS.

I'm not one to settle for anything less than a gem of a supra. I know this means possibly waiting around for a year for one to show up. Hoping to locate a very clean mostly unmodded original TT 6sp. Cherries on top would be 97/98, hardtop, 100% oem but I think that's getting too picky.

Anyway, wanted to ask what everyone thinks of the current market for supras of this caliber. How much have prices gone up over the last 5 year, 1 year? Should I be scrambling to find one ASAP or is it okay to wait for a few months? I'm looking to buy a rental house for some extra income this winter, and I'm considering waiting until that is stabilized.

Thanks in advance everyone glad to be finally searching for the car of my dreams

·
Registered
461 Posts
Prices have gone up like crazy just in the last year. If you're wanting an original TT/6spd with low-ish miles in great condition, especially if it's bone stock, you'll be looking at spending $40k+ depending on the color.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prices have gone up like crazy just in the last year. If you're wanting an original TT/6spd with low-ish miles in great condition, especially if it's bone stock, you'll be looking at spending $40k+ depending on the color.
Yup, that's what I was expecting. I'm just seeing some upwards of 55 and whatnot. That seems a little absurd. I'm okay with the 45 +/- a few. Assuming same miles/condition across the board, what colors would be most expensive, or other small options I should keep an eye out for?

My buddy has been collecting me 'before you buy' info for a while now, so I have some of that together.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Even $40k is getting pretty tough. Just finding an original TT/6sp in good condition regardless of setup configuration is getting near impossible. If you add in things like color, vins, paintwork, low miles, hardtop, etc and it drives the price even higher. The values have definitely went up over the last 5 years and in the last year especially. Heck, even N/A's auto are selling for $20-25k with 100k+ miles nowadays. There's no telling how the market will continue. That said, I would do the smart thing and invest the money into the property, a vehicle is (almost) never an investment. Establish good income and get all the toys you want then. Oh and welcome to Houston.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yup, that's what I was expecting. I'm just seeing some upwards of 55 and whatnot. That seems a little absurd. I'm okay with the 45 +/- a few. Assuming same miles/condition across the board, what colors would be most expensive, or other small options I should keep an eye out for?

My buddy has been collecting me 'before you buy' info for a while now, so I have some of that together.
Rare colors include:
Quicksilver
Imperial Jade Metallic (it's a green)
Deep Jewel Green (another green)
Anthracite
Royal Sapphire Pearl

Maybe a couple others that i forgot

They probably made more renaissance red supras than anything else. So if you're cool with red, i'm sure you could find one that fits your parameters.

Even $40k is getting pretty tough. Just finding an original TT/6sp in good condition regardless of setup configuration is getting near impossible. If you add in things like color, vins, paintwork, low miles, hardtop, etc and it drives the price even higher. The values have definitely went up over the last 5 years and in the last year especially. Heck, even N/A's auto are selling for $20-25k with 100k+ miles nowadays. There's no telling how the market will continue. That said, I would do the smart thing and invest the money into the property, a vehicle is (almost) never an investment. Establish good income and get all the toys you want then. Oh and welcome to Houston.
I figured putting $40k as a possible low end was fair. Those deals are out there if you're patient and look hard enough. But i'll agree with you in the sense that there's so many different options that could drive the price up or down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Alex, appreciate the insight on the market. Sucks to hear things are on the rise so quickly. I don't need to buy the house as I own my own already, and really want a car to care for again. But as you probably know Houston real estate is going up like crazy too, so I'd rather get into that market first haha. Been in Houston 2 years, just haven't been out much.

Thanks for the welcome. If you know of anyone who'd consider selling something close to this let me know. Biggest areas I'm willing to sacrifice is color, miles, and mods. If it's all done tasetefully and has been taken care of. I can deal with a color, high miles, targa, VINs, accidents, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rare colors include:
Quicksilver
Imperial Jade Metallic (it's a green)
Deep Jewel Green (another green)
Anthracite
Royal Sapphire Pearl

Maybe a couple others that i forgot

They probably made more renaissance red supras than anything else. So if you're cool with red, i'm sure you could find one that fits your parameters.
Looks like I should expect red to be lower, I'll see what I find out there. I'd be cool with red. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Thanks Alex, appreciate the insight on the market. Sucks to hear things are on the rise so quickly. I don't need to buy the house as I own my own already, and really want a car to care for again. But as you probably know Houston real estate is going up like crazy too, so I'd rather get into that market first haha. Been in Houston 2 years, just haven't been out much.

Thanks for the welcome. If you know of anyone who'd consider selling something close to this let me know. Biggest areas I'm willing to sacrifice is color, miles, and mods. If it's all done tasetefully and has been taken care of. I can deal with a color, high miles, targa, VINs, accidents, etc.
The Houston housing market is definitely on the rise too. I just purchased a property last year and the value has already significantly gone up. That said, you don't sound like you're in a "pinch" so that might be the decision you'll have to make for yourself, another house or a toy.

Come out to the local meets and meet the locals. Most are friendly and will talk hours on cars. Ask around, a lot of deals closed don't ever end up hitting the forums. In the $45-$50k bracket you should be able to find a pretty nice Supra. Just don't settle for anything less than you want.

Red is the most common Supra color and typically the least in demand, which drives the prices lower. The most sought after colors seem to be QS, RSP, anthracite and of course white and black.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The Houston housing market is definitely on the rise too. I just purchased a property last year and the value has already significantly gone up.
Dallas market is fucking crazy too. With all the big companies moving here, housing prices have skyrocketed. 2 years ago you could have built a brand new 1400 sq ft house for $145k. Now that same house is going for $200k.

I bought my house in December, and i could already sell it for $25k over what i paid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Houston housing market is definitely on the rise too. I just purchased a property last year and the value has already significantly gone up. That said, you don't sound like you're in a "pinch" so that might be the decision you'll have to make for yourself, another house or a toy.

Come out to the local meets and meet the locals. Most are friendly and will talk hours on cars. Ask around, a lot of deals closed don't ever end up hitting the forums. In the $45-$50k bracket you should be able to find a pretty nice Supra. Just don't settle for anything less than you want.

Red is the most common Supra color and typically the least in demand, which drives the prices lower. The most sought after colors seem to be QS, RSP, anthracite and of course white and black.
Yeah, it's a decision to make for sure, I'll probably wait until I get the house. Don't want those big cash transfers in/out of my account while I'm trying to qualify for another home loan.

I go to whatever meets I hear about through facebook and stuff. Try to talk to any supra owners I see. I'll have to stalk the forums a bit to see where yall hang out.

Dallas market is fucking crazy too. With all the big companies moving here, housing prices have skyrocketed. 2 years ago you could have built a brand new 1400 sq ft house for $145k. Now that same house is going for $200k.

I bought my house in December, and i could already sell it for $25k over what i paid.
Good idea to buy in December, I bought in the heat of summer and paid the price for it. Had to come w/ an extra 6k to closing, and battled 3 other bidders. That's why I intend to buy in winter this time, prices and activity drop off significantly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good idea to buy in December, I bought in the heat of summer and paid the price for it. Had to come w/ an extra 6k to closing, and battled 3 other bidders. That's why I intend to buy in winter this time, prices and activity drop off significantly.
It really wasn't intentional, my availability to buy a house just happened to be in late fall/early winter. I didn't even realize how good of a position i was in until after i bought the house and people started telling me. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts