Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· iSketch Master!
12,496 Posts
OK what power goal do you plan to attain with this car? Your goals for the car make our advice much different.

If you aren't looking to make over 500whp or anything I don't see why you shouldn't have a problem with the VVT-i engine. Make sure you have the ECU as well. Do a little searching to read up on what you want to do, but you shouldn't need to upgrade your rods till you are around 700whp or so.

If the wife is going to be driving it for the most part you can pull 450whp out of a good set of stock twins (USDM twins) with basic supporting mods so I'd say stick with that for a while. Anything past that point and you are going to be dropping some coin.

Also I can't remember off the top of my head, but if the NA tranny is the same as the TT tranny you should be ok with it on the stock turbos as far as it holding up to the abuse. Just need a stall and some tranny coolers. Browse MKIV.com, and some of the stickies/how to's.

Alex

· Glad To Be Back
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK what power goal do you plan to attain with this car? Your goals for the car make our advice much different.

If you aren't looking to make over 500whp or anything I don't see why you shouldn't have a problem with the VVT-i engine. Make sure you have the ECU as well. Do a little searching to read up on what you want to do, but you shouldn't need to upgrade your rods till you are around 700whp or so.

If the wife is going to be driving it for the most part you can pull 450whp out of a good set of stock twins (USDM twins) with basic supporting mods so I'd say stick with that for a while. Anything past that point and you are going to be dropping some coin.

Also I can't remember off the top of my head, but if the NA tranny is the same as the TT tranny you should be ok with it on the stock turbos as far as it holding up to the abuse. Just need a stall and some tranny coolers. Browse MKIV.com, and some of the stickies/how to's.

Alex

Wow,
Thanks Alex.
The guy has the harness but I didnt see an ECU..will that be an issue?
I never realized the USDM turbos had that much power in them..Do you know if they are journal bearing or ball bearing? It might be worth it to just swap out the JDM ones, and get a set of USDM ones rebuilt? Im only looking for about 450-500. Like I said, I probably will only drive this twice a week at most. What I probably will end up doing is getting a manual boost controller and turning the boost down when my wife drives it, then if I wanna go for a sunday cruise turn that baby up.

Price wise my limit is about 6k.
3k on motor/add ons and 3k on exterior.

I just dumped 10k into the Audi last year and that car can put a hole in your pocket.

Any info on stuff to gather here in Japan? (I was thinking at the least calipers??)
Thanks again

Well Im off to study using the "search button"
thats all I have been doing for the past week since I joined..lol

· iSketch Master!
12,496 Posts
It should be an issue because there won't be a way to control the VVT-i with the NA USDM ECU AFAIK. You can squeeze 500whp out of the stock twins, but that would need to be on a 6 speed car pretty much, and with a little bit more supporting mods. Search in the dyno section for stock twins.

You don't have to spend a dime on the internals of the engine if that is your goal. I don't know what to look for over there, but if you see a deal snatch it up. It's probably easier to find cheap brand name wheels over there though. If you want US twins people sell theirs on here all the time for about $100.

If you want decent power all the time I'd rather get a small single kit, with either a street kit from a vendor, or piece together a kit yourself with a cast manifold and a smaller turbo (61mm). That way you can run pump gas and be making ~450rwhp (need race gas for that on the twins for the most part), and then turn it up whenever you feel the need.

Alex

· mach chicken
3,878 Posts
New Member to the Supra scene but not the boosted world!
Hello Everyone,
My name is Chris. I am currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan.
I was gonna buy a RHD Supra out here, but then found out about all the import hassle and jumped on a steal I found on ebay (was only listed for 9 mins..lol)
Anyway I bought the car for the wife, so it will stay auto, although I might upgrade the tranny to something stronger. The car as we speak is on a transport trailer to Florida, to where my wife is staying till I get back.

Now I am by nature an Audi and BMW guy, but being out here in Japan for the last few months has given me an itch for a Supra. So I am here to learn and be a part of the Supra community!

I drive an A6 2.7TT (2nd fastest in the USA)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw2HAGYSmXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9mAFnKOBBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojDWKwqJgCE

I recently broke into the 11's before I left thanks to a WOT Box!

Anyway back on topic.
The goal is to make the car fub but not dangerous for my wife(even though she wont ever leave vaccum..lol)

Can I go GT28RS hybrids without having to change out internals? Or is the highest you can go a powerhouse street without changing con-rods?

Anyway I have a deal on a 2JZGTTE VVTi out here for 700 bucks..I dont know what shipping will cost me but I think I am gonna go for it. I left the guy a 10000 yen deposit on it

Can everyone make a list of stuff I should look for while over here in Japan. Theres tons of Junk yards with Supras in them.

I already got a pair of Recaros out of my friends EVO 5 for a few hundred bucks

heres the link to where I bought the car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170342744535
pic of the supra

pic of the audi

:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.