Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey everyone..well as you can see im new to this forum..i recently bought a 1991 SUPRA N/A..i would have really liked it to have been turbo but its not...i was thinkin swapping out engines but im not sure which would be best or which is more convenient.. so let me know what you all think ....

· Registered
737 Posts
hey bud,

this thread has been started before, let me be first to say use the search. If you ever have a question for us, 9 times out of 10 it's already been asked.

But welcome to SF and good luck with w/e you're doing.

· 91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,977 Posts
why would you jump the gun and get a NA and now asking to see if it's good to do a swap. Why don't sell this one and get a turbo that runs and save yourself the headache.........and please remember this, SUPRAS ARE NOT CHEAP, MK3 OR MK4 TO HAVE.......

· Spools VERY Slow
741 Posts
I'm going to be nice here.

Okay, you have purchased a Toyota Supra. Congratulations.

Step back a couple feet, think hard, and think what do YOU want out of the car you're looking at.

Now, is something you're wanting out of your car reasonable? Everyone wants a 900hp monster. IE : Does it fit your budget, ect. This will help you in the longrun.

You could do so much to the car. It's a good platform, but I don't know what you're looking for from your Supra. So I really can't help you.

Matt

· Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,500 Posts
Well like most people suggested figure out what you really would like to do first. If you want to just daily it for awhile, make sure compression is good and replace as many rubber hoses/vaccum lines you possibly can. Do regular maint. things such as theromostat, change fluids, etc.

Then turbo it...7m-gte, 1j or 2j

· Registered
1,348 Posts
First, don't conform to the poor use of grammar and punctuation of this forum, there should be no rush to post something on the internet if your trying to get a response. Next, the Mark 3 Toyota Supra is not a cheap car, if you plan on treating it that way, it will not last.

The first things I suggest you do: Re-tourque/check head bolts, tune up (filter, plugs, wires, fuel filter, fix leaks, fix brittle/broken hoses, change ALL fluids).

When you plan on going with an engine swap or introducing forced induction to your car, save your $ estimate costs then double it. Good luck.

· Registered
3,282 Posts
everything on the car is running smooth..theres no problem...just looking to make at least 400hp...
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this isn't in going to happen. First, you bought an N/A so I'm going to assume that disposable cash isn't something you have easy access to (also your earlier point about wanting the cheaper upgrade). Second, you don't seem to know where to start. This wouldn't be a big issue except if you jump in and try to toss a bunch of parts on a car without knowing exactly what they do, you can easily cause a major failure to occur.

Now, if I'm wrong about either of these points I don't understand why you made this thread. I'd suggest reading as much as you can and selling your N/A and buying a well-known, well-built example or at least a factory turbo car. It'll save you a lot of headache (and cash) down the road.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
money really isnt an issue, im sure about spending at most 5000 on an engine..i bought the car because it has a clean record body is straight no crashes no dents..

· Registered
196 Posts
First, don't conform to the poor use of grammar and punctuation of this forum, there should be no rush to post something on the internet if your trying to get a response. Next, the Mark 3 Toyota Supra is not a cheap car, if you plan on treating it that way, it will not last.

The first things I suggest you do: Re-tourque/check head bolts, tune up (filter, plugs, wires, fuel filter, fix leaks, fix brittle/broken hoses, change ALL fluids).

When you plan on going with an engine swap or introducing forced induction to your car, save your $ estimate costs then double it. Good luck.
^:werd:

I suggest you read all the stickies and read everything you can about the car and what modifcations can be done to the car before throwing money around for a swap. Also if your not mechanically inclinded to do the work yourself, then things can get a little pricey. Most of us wrench on our own cars and can save a little but I have come to find out the the mk3 and mk4's are whiney bitchs that need attention, so make sure you car is in top notch shape before any modifications take place. Also if you want to do a turbo swap, I would start with the suspension and handling first because their is no use in putting in power if you cant use. Good luck with everything...

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum. enjoy your experience and if you need some help........ search first but feel free to ask any question. we should all be here to help. latr

· Registered
2 Posts
i NEED HELP I HAVE A JDM 1JZ TWIN TURBO I PUT IT IN A MKIII it has a greddy full catback exhaust system and g>>reddy turbo timer, everytime i ride my car lets say in the begging from turning the car on letting it sit for a while then pulling away i feel as the turbos are bogging out! if that is the right terminology but that is exactly how it feels, as the car gets warmer it starts bogging out but periodically on and off more rapidly versus to boggin out for a longer amount of time if anybody has any idea on wat it could be please send me a private message or reply to this thread please also i have a auto tranny could the transmission wiring cause this problem due to the wire job for putting the 1jz in the MKIII??????????HELP???????????????

· Registered
679 Posts

QFT.

i'm a cumrag
qft as well

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, thanks guys.I been looking around and friends have been helping out. I found a place where they can get me a 2j for a decent price so im going for the 2j. Im picking up the engine this weekend :) so the car will hit my garage in a month ...suspension,brakes and new tires will be done in the next 3 days!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.