Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am a proud new owner of a 1990 MKIII Turbo. The car is immaculate, I haven’t found one ding or scratch yet. It does have 114,000 on it, but still impressive for a 30 year old car. I’m wanting to keep it all original, with the exception of the wheels (which I do still have the originals also). The only fault I can see is it developed an oil leak that seems to be coming from the rear main? I’m assuming since the previous owner only put 3k miles on it in 6 years that the recent explosion of driving will cause some problems poke their heads up. The only downfall is it is the automatic transmission. Any thoughts on upgrades I can do without modifying it too much. I feel like these cars are only going to appreciate in the future, but would like to “spruce” it up some. Thank you, and I’m glad to be here!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sweet car, welcome to the group. I would just go through the maintenance packages described in the TSRM, keep an eye on everything rubber, regardless of how much it was driven the age will wear the rubber. Also these cars have head gasket issues, so hopefully that has been addressed. Enjoy!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good looking car. Check your trunk (rear fender wells and under spare tire) for bad rust spots due to water leaking in. For our old cars, water can come in thru the rear hatch weather strip and window trim, tail light gasket & window seals.
Welcome to SF.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I have checked the fender wells and trunk for rust and there isn’t any. There’s some problems I’m going to have to address. Brakes not holding pressure (see my other post), along with the rear main leaking. Thinking of pulling the engine this winter and going through it all. I know it’s had the head baskets done, but would like to change it to head studs.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Time (and money) will make a Supra mechanic out of you.
Bruder coming in with the wisdom of experience, again! :)

He speaks the truth OP, I can vouch for it myself. I barely knew which end of a wrench went on the gasket when I started playing with cars. All these years later, I can say I'm fairly confident in the garage for the most part.

As for your question of swapping to a manual, I have two counter-questions:

-What is your intention with the car?
-What's your budget for a transmission?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
nice car. if your worried about value then id say do a proper r154 swap and enjoy the shit out of it. if you end up selling, it will only help the value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not going to do an auto to manual conversion unless I have issues with the auto. As far as experience goes, I’ve always in the past been a 300zxTT guy. I’ve done probably 4 N/A to TT swaps and 5 speed conversions. I also have an Audi A8 W12 that I maintain myself (huge PITA!). I’m very much looking forward to working on this, and picking you guys brains so be ready to lend your expertise!! I’m not too sure what my intentions are yet, A part of me wants to keep it original, but then another wants to go all out and go big!! Thanks for your replies!

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,047 Posts
I've always been interested in the different pin striping these got. I have a 89 white package car that has similar pin striping to yours but in blue.

Anyone know anything about that? Was it an option or something?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Window sticker for my 89 showed it as a dealer installed option. I'll have to see if I can extract the scan from a failed hard drive.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,047 Posts
Window sticker for my 89 showed it as a dealer installed option. I'll have to see if I can extract the scan from a failed hard drive.
Now that's cool!

I think the sunroof option was a dealer only thing too.
Interesting to think these sorts of things were done at a dealer... like out back in the shop? Strange. Haha

·
Registered
863 Posts
Now that's cool!

I think the sunroof option was a dealer only thing too.
Interesting to think these sorts of things were done at a dealer... like out back in the shop? Strange. Haha
The sunroof is one of those things that really intrigues me. Those aren't easy to install and the ones I've seen all appear to be factory quality. I can just imagine your average 80s body tech grafting in a sunroof to a brand new Supra in an un-air conditioned shop behind the car lot.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,498 Posts
I've always been interested in the different pin striping these got. I have a 89 white package car that has similar pin striping to yours but in blue.

Anyone know anything about that? Was it an option or something?

I believe they were all dealer options. The non-turbos also got dealer installed spoilers as an option. Sunroofs were also dealer options, but they may have been a factory option as well.

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,047 Posts
so for anyone else wondering... a dude just resold his MKV Supra allegedly for about $58K.
Looking at the sticker price posted above for that MKIII Supra, in today’s money is this:

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
499 Posts
Yep, the inflation calculator is amazing!

On the above topic, my 87T has a sun roof that was there when i bought the car in 1995 (3rd owner). Mine actually retracts inside the roof instead of outside like on 91-92. It looks professional inside.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts