Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

After so many years I was finally able to buy a Supra. It's a 91 Turbo with 150xxx miles and I was writing to those of your who have had experience with MKIII's what are the things I should be mindful to replace?

I already had the gasket replaced I know that the most common issue with the 7M's
After it was replaced I filled it with gas (91 octane) I went to get its tags and title. Afterwards I found that it wouldn't start. It looked as though the fuel pump wasn't getting fuel to the engine, because everything else was working so I let it sit. after about an hour, I was able to get it started and idling nicely again.

That's the only issue I've had so far. What are any others I should be mindful of?

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
Pull the codes, and see what they point to in the TSRM.
(Toyota Service & Repair Manual)
I highly suggest to spend a few bucks, and actually buy one, instead of trying to scroll back & forth on the on-line version.
They run $40-50 bucks for a used one off eBay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You could check vacuum lines and other hoses, including intercooler piping. With age they can start to crack...I have a few that are dry rot, so I'm in the process of changing them now. Another thing to look at is the AFM (Air Flow Meter). This is a common part that can go bad (not sure if it's related to your problem now though). Before you touch the AFM, I highly recommend doing some research about it first - e.g. do not clean it!

I don't know much about diagnosing the fuel pump, but keep in mind that there is also a fuel filter. From what I've read, its supposed to be a lifetime part, but it's still be a good idea to keep an eye on it.

Does the car have any mods or is it stock?

Re the TSRM, there are a few links in this thread that might be helpful until you get a hardcopy: Searchable TSRM

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could check vacuum lines and other hoses, including intercooler piping. With age they can start to crack...I have a few that are dry rot, so I'm in the process of changing them now. Another thing to look at is the AFM (Air Flow Meter). This is a common part that can go bad (not sure if it's related to your problem now though). Before you touch the AFM, I highly recommend doing some research about it first - e.g. do not clean it!

I don't know much about diagnosing the fuel pump, but keep in mind that there is also a fuel filter. From what I've read, its supposed to be a lifetime part, but it's still be a good idea to keep an eye on it.

Does the car have any mods or is it stock?

Re the TSRM, there are a few links in this thread that might be helpful until you get a hardcopy: Searchable TSRM
The car is mostly stock. I am owner number 5. It looks like most f not all the hoses have been replaced. So i don't think they're the issue. But I'll check regardless. Worst case scenario I learn something, right?

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the codes, and see what they point to in the TSRM.
(Toyota Service & Repair Manual)
I highly suggest to spend a few bucks, and actually buy one, instead of trying to scroll back & forth on the on-line version.
They run $40-50 bucks for a used one off eBay.
Noted and just got one ordered off ebay

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the car out for some photos. All morning it drove well but once i was done taking photos it wouldn't start. Since this issue wasn't the fuel pump i decided to check the engine. and nearly burned my hands. Today wasn't a hot day so It couldn't be the weather which means the car is overheating. Best case scenario it's just low fluids. But if it isn't that then is it my Radiator or inter cooler? or am I missing something else entirely?

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
499 Posts
Sounds like heat soak to me, which can be caused by many different things.

Check your timing first. On my car, after sitting for several years and only being started to move it around the driveway, I found my timing was WAY off. Once I adjusted it, my operating temperature stabilized and the whole engine ran much cooler.

Also, verify your oil is in good shape as well as the coolant.

One other thing I do is when I get to a destination, whether I've driven it hard or not, I let the car idle for a minute or so. I know that was expected behavior years ago from non-intercooler cars, but I feel like it gives the block a chance to cool down a bit before the coolant and oil flow stop.

:)

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well My shop got back to me and they suspect that the 7M's gasket is causing gas to leak out which is is the source of the excessive heat. So I'm now faced with an important decision, Do I try I try to save the 7M with a rebuild, or do I try to source a 1J? I figure the forum will scream at me to get the 1J But I'm not sure i want to give up on the 7M just yet. While I don't know a lot about the 7m, I know even less about the 1J.

So I welcome all input on the matter.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You're not getting coolant being blown out the overflow tank right? How about sweet smelling cloudy exhaust? Do you have to keep putting water and coolant in it? Those would be some BHG issues.

Right now my 87T is running a bit hot randomly, and I am in the process of putting in a new Mishimoto radiator. I don't have any BHG symptoms and mine is not over heating, but just not cooling as well as I think it should. The radiator was installed in 2008 by my mechanic (after they accidentally threw my original away haha). While new, I'm sure it was the cheapest thing out there at the time, so I feel good getting a well known excellent replacement.

My water pump and timing belt were changed about 5 years ago so I'm thinking the pump is still fine. I've put maybe 300 miles on this car since 2015.

Beautiful car BTW

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're not getting coolant being blown out the overflow tank right? How about sweet smelling cloudy exhaust? Do you have to keep putting water and coolant in it? Those would be some BHG issues.

Right now my 87T is running a bit hot randomly, and I am in the process of putting in a new Mishimoto radiator. I don't have any BHG symptoms and mine is not over heating, but just not cooling as well as I think it should. The radiator was installed in 2008 by my mechanic (after they accidentally threw my original away haha). While new, I'm sure it was the cheapest thing out there at the time, so I feel good getting a well known excellent replacement.

My water pump and timing belt were changed about 5 years ago so I'm thinking the pump is still fine. I've put maybe 300 miles on this car since 2015.

Beautiful car BTW

The exhaust isn't cloudy but there's a powerful smell coming out of it if i run it for a while.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well My shop got back to me and they suspect that the 7M's gasket is causing gas to leak out which is is the source of the excessive heat. So I'm now faced with an important decision, Do I try I try to save the 7M with a rebuild, or do I try to source a 1J? I figure the forum will scream at me to get the 1J But I'm not sure i want to give up on the 7M just yet. While I don't know a lot about the 7m, I know even less about the 1J.

So I welcome all input on the matter.
Also, if you're into learning about the 7M, stick with it. I still have the 7mGTE in mine and I have learned quite a bit about it and the whole car since I started bringing it back 6 months ago.

Engine swapping, to me, is a whole new game. From what I've read, lots of things bolt up fine, some don't, with a lot of gray area in between.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, if you're into learning about the 7M, stick with it. I still have the 7mGTE in mine and I have learned quite a bit about it and the whole car since I started bringing it back 6 months ago.

Engine swapping, to me, is a whole new game. From what I've read, lots of things bolt up fine, some don't, with a lot of gray area in between.

I think I'm going to have the engine rebuild, I like the 7M and want to do every thing I can to save it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm eventually going to have my rebuilt as well. It runs fine now, but I had the head gasket and a new head put on in 1997. I'm pretty sure it was not rebuilt before I bought it in 1995, and I know it hasn't been since!

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are a few small things I would like to replace on my Supra. Does anyone here know were I can get some minor things like the clips for the side moulding and new hood emblem?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Clips may be difficult depending on the exact ones. The window trim for sure is a pain, and the one's that I've found at the junk yards are still 30 years old and sometimes just break looking at them. (only half kidding)

This stuff has been very useful for my front window trim, as well as the edges of the triangle windows on the hatch. I'm probably going to have to use it as well on my drivers door trim.

I also used it on my tail light gaskets.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't plan it but opted for the Engine rebuild. The issue in play was that the block had flexed by 2/1000s around Cylinder 5. I opted to have the blocked milled and balanced but apparently the machine shop is taking it's sweet time and I haven't had my Supra for some time now.

Since I had to do this, I've opted to search for some of the smaller things to fix.

Does anyone know where I can find an OEM rear window soiler? The cheapest I've been able to find is $800 and it's not in the best shape

I'm also looking for new hood struts as all the gas has leaked out of mine

·
Registered
499 Posts
I replaced my hood struts with these. Works great. I'm waiting for them to source a new company for hatch struts.

I'm not sure what you meant by OEM rear window "soiler". Did you mean spoiler?

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Machine shop handling my block still isn't done and it's been over 2 months. I understand slowdowns due to COVID-19. but as such I'm going through full withdrawl without my precious Mk. III. I've been buying minor upgrades and replacement parts for the day she comes home.

If I'm honest I'm starting to get angry with the lack of communications from this shop. They shipped the block to a machine shop to get it decked and balanced. but the machine shop has dropped communications all together. On top of that I'm being overcharged for this rebuild so I'm you can imagine the frustration I'm feeling/ The only calls I've recieved are from the guy who's managing the whole ordeal and those calls have consisted of when he's going to be in the office. No update from the shop and all I'm getting are calls about someone's work schedule. Frankly I don't know what I can do. I'm just looking forward to getting my car back so I can then proceed to never work with these people again.

Silver linings
This experience has been so bad it got me to enroll in an automotive program at a local technical school. So I can do all the future work on this myself. So at least there's that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts