Supra Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
While I'm here I might as well ask, To those who have had their 7M's rebuilt, what was the cost and what all did you have done?

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So after several weeks of silence I was able to get an update on what's going on with my 7M. All the work has been done and it's ready for reassembly, however the guy who was doing all the machining apparently had a heart condition and has been hospitalized for several weeks. They don't know when he'll be back in the shop. It was conveyed to me that they don't want to just assemble it and send it back because he's been the guy working it every step of the way and they don't want to risk missing a step.

So I have no idea when I'll get my 7M back which really bums me out because i has planned on driving it and getting used to it all summer since it is my first Manual tans car I'm still not used to it.

But alas this is how it goes sometimes.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
503 Posts
Yeah that sucks. I appreciate the fact they don't want to half-ass it, but at the same time their communication has been lack luster right?

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah that sucks. I appreciate the fact they don't want to half-ass it, but at the same time their communication has been lack luster right?

Yeah, the communication has been piss-poor. But I've giving them some more patience, In the meantime more parts continue to come in. So far I have I replacement drivers side window switch (as the original one's auto switch broke off). replacement door trim with I'll have to smooth out and paint to match. a replacement passenger rear speaker cover (Which I'm currently cleaning) New hood struts, replacement rear window trim, and an OEM shift knob because the previous owner stuck a 6-speed knob on the stick.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's cool. Accumulate the parts you can. There is an 89 in my local yard I hit 2 weekends ago and picked up a bunch of spare stuff.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I went down to look at the Supra to see if the speaker cover I bought would fit. Instead I found that as a '91, my Supra had the darker grey and a different shape

so now I'm on the hunt for a proper replacement. I keep finding JDM covers but those look like they're almost black.

If anyone has a clue on where I can find one let me know.

Also I need a new emblem. I don't think mine is salvageable

EDIT: I'm also doing to need to have the interior detailed when this is all over.

·
Registered
503 Posts
What color do you need? I see those quite frequently here in my travels.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
What color do you need? I see those quite frequently here in my travels.

If you're talking Emblem If I'm not mistaken some came color matched so I would Need Burgundy Pearl (3H8)

As for color of the speaker cover, according to the 1991 brochure the interior is called Grey leather trim. It was the only interior color offered on the Burgundy Pearl

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I managed to find a proper rear speaker cover, but i'll have to spend some time cleaning it proper. I went down to look at the supra and i really started to notice that while it's in good shape it's in the lower side of "good" When I get the car back I'll have to pull the carpets and try to clean properly. The seats are also past it. i sat in it and realized they are as hard as rock. So I'll need to find some good daily driving seats on the after market.

One thing I was also considering. Since my car is going through this engine rebuild. I figure the part I will focus on is the suspension and body. I was lurking on the forums and the topic of strut bars came up. Going further into that rabbit hole A lot of people say strut bars do nothing, while Targa owners insist that they do. I want my chassis to be sturdy So I'm going to try front and rear strut bars as well and a rear cross bar to mitigate the flex

as for Suspension I know next to nothing. However, my philosophy is along the lines Toyota did when making the 2JZ, "Anything worth building is worth over-building." I can tell you right now that's where the majority of my money will be going.

So once again I'm open to any and all input.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I read on here that someone mentioned for restores to focus on the body as a whole, interior, exterior, functionality... all that first. Then engine, then suspension. If you're delayed at engine building and have time then I guess suspension it is (y)

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I read on here that someone mentioned for restores to focus on the body as a whole, interior, exterior, functionality... all that first. Then engine, then suspension. If you're delayed at engine building and have time then I guess suspension it is (y)

You make a good point. I know I have to replace the bushings. Nearly everyone post on here the mentions them say that the OEM ones are almost always worn own to nothing. I haven't decided what coilovers or sway bars to go with. but ultimately I'm looking for my Supra to be rigid and responsive. even though I'm not going any competition driving.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes, I've bought several things from them. Good guys. The trick is some things will show available on their site but are discontinued. They try to keep it current but its a big job. If you order something and its out, they will email you and not charge (or reverse charge) your account.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts