Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anyone running around on brand new toyota shocks with lowering springs? i bought the tokico blues and they blew out in like 2 weeks. so i need a new pair for the front. im thinking about getting some new oem ones and running them with my eibach springs. i dont need super stiff ride quality, but im looking for something that feels more like stock, but not very bouncy.i dont road race or autocross, but i do drag race alot at the track. with the fronts blown right now my car bounces all over the place, i get nauseaus it has become so bad. do you guys think some brand new shocks from toyota will hold up with the lowering springs? thanks for any input

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
wow i dunno what it is with tokico but once in a while u might have a few people with blow outs! i have had mine for almost a year now with the eibachs and now problems! they are lifetime warranty btw but if u think u should get the oem ones go for it and they should work fine!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I am running new Toyota TEMS struts with ST springs. The ride is very close to factory. Not sure what year your car is, but based on my experience with my 1988 Supra and a 1990 and a 1991 on the same springs and struts, the 1989+ struts seem to be stiffer. If that's what you want, go with the '89+.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
The blue ones used to be more reliable. Hmmm.

The KYB units are the softest strut for our car, they don't meet the expectations of most folks.

Bilstein and Koni are other considerations for ya.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
If your Tokicos blew out in 2 weeks as you claim, they should be replaced under warranty.

If you bought used shocks, this is the problem.

Get bilsteins, very durable.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Just a warning...Bilstein shocks make for an extremely stiff ride. I haven't found a stiffer shock yet...

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
was wondering the same thing.. I recently bought new Toyota shocks for my non tems car (100 for all of them !! ) It seems as if they are made by tokico.. as it had their name stamped on em.

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
KINGPIN33 said:
Man... whats with all these Tokico struts blowing and such??? I hear this happening more often now... Are they blowing because of poor installation or something...
I don't know. Mine are over 2 years old now and still holding up great. Very stiff ride. Maybe people just get a hold of a bad pair or installation was poor.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are you guys running the tokico 'blues' or the hps? i thought the hps were for tems only cars? will these still fit a non tems car?

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
the KYB GR-2 is the OEM strut ( tokico used to make em for toyota) it's just cheaper at most places. i had a set on my supra and they really impressed me. i've heard good things about the Bilstein struts too.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Ian333 said:
the KYB GR-2 is the OEM strut ( tokico used to make em for toyota) it's just cheaper at most places. i had a set on my supra and they really impressed me. i've heard good things about the Bilstein struts too.
i heard the gr-2's are OEM replacements, but are actually better than the stockers. I have them now and they are really great, bt thats coming from 4 blown stockers to not blown shocks, so anything seems good to me.

·
92 TURBO
999 Posts
Ian333 said:
^ KYB stamped on both rear OEM shocks along with the toyota part #'s on my '92t with TEMs. I removed them out to install new bumper/dust boots which had dry rotted exposing the rods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts