Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
My cause was one of a few things. But mine was toast, spun 3 rod, 3 main. I personally think my oil pump failed. But ill never know for sure now that its all trashed. I was only 600rwhp.

just build that beast up!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The same thing happened to me 3 years ago. And I found out from this forum later that the clearances have to be inspected again. That is so messed up because if you have any modifications done the dealer will not cover it.
Maybe someone will take them to court or something like that....
Anyways good luck in your build.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
As i posted in LH's thread. I spoke with Curt and with Nero about this matter a few months ago (since i bought a brand new OEM block in April of this year). Both said that this was an issue about 4 years ago. It hasn't happened recently, according to both of them it was corrected on Toyota's end.

What might be possible is the block was manufactured back then, and you happened to purchase an older piece of inventory. Either that or something else caused the failure.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
If you have a block sitting around for 4 years, that alone would be a perfect reason. But it doubt that is the cause.
They probably manufactured the motor on the tight end of the clearance, and with no wear on anything (higher miles) it stayed tight.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Did any of you guys with these new blocks check these clearances BEFORE you installed them? Or did you just slap it in and hope for the best? I wouldn't leave anything to chance even if I was putting a new short block in a stock NA Supra.

Alex

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
The same thing happened to me 3 years ago. And I found out from this forum later that the clearances have to be inspected again. That is so messed up because if you have any modifications done the dealer will not cover it.
Maybe someone will take them to court or something like that....
Anyways good luck in your build.
Take them to court? Really? If it were a factory application it likely never would have failed. You can't blame them that it failed at 700 wheel horsepower. I hate that people are so quick to call a lawyer like they're not at fault.

I'd tear apart a brand new Toyota shortblock and install ACL race bearings. They sell a set that's a thousandth undersized to give you a little more oil clearance. Do that and run a thicker oil (don't kid yourself, it's a race motor at 700 wheel, you can't run 10w30 and pretend it's going to be okay).

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
^^^ I agree with you regarding the law suit - ridiculous.

Not sure I understand the recommendation for a higher viscosity oil though. :scratch:

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Did any of you guys with these new blocks check these clearances BEFORE you installed them? Or did you just slap it in and hope for the best? I wouldn't leave anything to chance even if I was putting a new short block in a stock NA Supra.
Alex
I personally didnt even know about this issue when it happened to mine until after the fact and people asked. Otherwise i would of def had them checked first.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I purchased a New block because I dident want any problems. When you purchase something Brand new especially from a dealer you expect it to be assembled correctly. If I had known that there were issues with these blocks I would not of bothered to buy one. I would of put the money into building a shortblock. Im not trying to sue anyone I personally think its a waist of time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I feel sad man. This sucks. Havnt heard that OEM short blocks give up that easily untill recently. It can be anything from factory out of order specs to bad clearances, clogged oil pump etc etc etc etc..
Is there any other company which provides 2jz short blocks with oem specs ?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I'm not intending to deny that there might be specific reasons for some of the failures related in this thread, but I think a lot of folks are under the mistaken impression that because the stock bottom end is reputed to endure up to 800 whp relatively reliably, that this implies that doing so is sort of 'guaranteed'.

It is NOT.

As soon as you modify ANY motor to make significantly more power than stock (i.e. beyond simple bolt-on mods), you must accept the possibility of catastrophic failure - no ifs, ands, or buts.

There's a reason you void a factory warranty with any mod beyond simple bolt-ons.

Craig

·
Registered
106 Posts
Take them to court? Really? If it were a factory application it likely never would have failed. You can't blame them that it failed at 700 wheel horsepower. I hate that people are so quick to call a lawyer like they're not at fault.
You have no idea about any of this situations if something like this didn't happen to you. In my case the engine was put together from a shop not by me,and yes if there is a mistake from the factory which ends up costing me $2800 plus labor why not take them to court ?
Apparently you have money to waste like that....

·
-Question Conjecture-
3,026 Posts
When you replace be sure to prime your oil pump before initial start up...
Make sure you are not using any 90 degree fittings connecting to the oil cooler, can cause bubbling in the pump area.
I know it's a big pain in ass how this went down for you, but for extra insurance you could as well plastic gauge the bottom end to check the clearances before you install it and also use plenty on assembly lube on the bearings, I use a thick honey oil in the oil pump for the initial start up on all my fresh built engines.

These are the two tools you use for 'accurate' insurance, not plasti gauge.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
All of you with issues, how have you been breaking in your motors? Surely the teardown will give you clues as to why you got issues.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts