Supra Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
As i posted in LH's thread. I spoke with Curt and with Nero about this matter a few months ago (since i bought a brand new OEM block in April of this year). Both said that this was an issue about 4 years ago. It hasn't happened recently, according to both of them it was corrected on Toyota's end.

What might be possible is the block was manufactured back then, and you happened to purchase an older piece of inventory. Either that or something else caused the failure.
I just bought a new short block from Toyota. This is an old thread and I was wondering if anyone an verify that the blocks are good now and Toyota fixed the issues. Want to see if I should take to a shop to check it out or if there is no need anymore.

thanks

·
Boost Junkie
12,547 Posts
I just bought a new short block from Toyota. This is an old thread and I was wondering if anyone an verify that the blocks are good now and Toyota fixed the issues. Want to see if I should take to a shop to check it out or if there is no need anymore.

thanks
I would take it to a shop either way. Cheap insurance.

Steve

·
Registered
357 Posts
^^ I agree with this. It is out of your car at current time and has not yet been fully built so this is the best time to get it checked out. You could also have the stock rods upgraded and modified at the caps with ARP studs at the same time if you wanted to for a little added strength before moving forward.

If I were to buy a new short block from Toyota after having gone through this thread I would send it to a trusted machine shop to get checked out.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I spoke with a friend about this recently. I would have the clearances checked due to the history of this BUT I actually wonder how many primed their motor before actual start up. Then break in with proper oil and oil changes.

Did they crank until oil pressure goes up?
Did they crank until they got oil out of the turbo feed line?
Did they pre-fill the oil filter?

I would have it checked for added insurance and then apply liberal amounts of assembly lube before reassembly with new bolts. Do not reuse those rod bolts.

Then before start up, fill oil filter, pull plugs, crank until oil pressure comes up and there is oil coming out of the turbo feed. Disable fuel pump during all this. THEN start. This should be how new motors are started anyway but I am not actually sure how many do it like this.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just to update this thread, I took the block to a local shop. They charged me $150 to inspect the block. They said everything checked out perfectly. So I guess the new blocks from Toyota in 2020 are good to go now!

Thanks guy

·
Registered
769 Posts
Just to update this thread, I took the block to a local shop. They charged me $150 to inspect the block. They said everything checked out perfectly. So I guess the new blocks from Toyota in 2020 are good to go now!

Thanks guy
Did they give you the clearances what was used?

Also, please use break in oil and change it out and crank with no plugs in the build oil pressure and make sure oil come out the turbo feed before starting.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts