Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Snipe, you are absolutely killing me here. I had no idea your thread was going over here in Projects. I've got one going in the MKIII forum and I'm pretty psyched at the cosmetic way my engine is looking. Or, at least I was until 2 minutes ago when I finished reading your thread. That thing is sano - well done!! I"m about a month behind you. Just got the head on last weekend, valve covers refinished and installed an waiting for an oil pump hose as I ordered the wrong one back in November. I hope to have it smashing bugs by the end of May.

Doug

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
You're welcome. Just doin' what I can.

Even though it's your first go around, how are you liking the car, and the engine since that's what you've obviously put a lot of time on. These 7Ms are stupid smooth, and can be stupid quiet, just keep the hood closed :p
It's stupid quiet with the windows up :giggle:, except for the fuel pump sound in the cabin. Naw, actually. My motor in my pickup, the 22re, has 1.25 mil miles on it. This car is seriously quieter with the hood open than what I'm used to, or maybe it's because the sounds are nicer to listen to. Idk. Otherwise, it's been great. Once I was satisfactorily convinced it wasn't going to gush fluids everywhere and blow up, I drove it to work. When I arrived and stepped out of the car, I had a grin on my face that lasted well... I still kind of have it. You should have seen me before I started the car. I primed the fuel, and gas would spray out of the end of a hose somewhere. I would repair it with a spare hose clamp I had laying around, and try again. A different hose end would be spraying gas. The 3rd time I went and bought hoses and a big pack of hose clamps. There is a two lane highway near hear that's curvy and uphill into the mountains. I drove it up there last Friday. I just had it in 4th going 55, except for some short passing zones where I had to give it some throttle. I touched the brakes 3 or 4 times. Most of the curve warning signs vary from 25 to 35. These cars handle roads really well. The TEMS is still working, I had no idea they would firm up into a bank. That is pretty nice to learn. I have a ton of mountain driving experience. The car did not let me down on the way up, or on the way down. I am still going easy on her and have not used the full rpm range, as it does not have 1000 miles on it. We'll see if I stretch her legs out more after that 1000, but don't want to break it or stress it out of reliability. I wish I had a spare that I didn't mind blowing up or crashing that I could repair, so I could find out what she'd do. I guess I'll have to end up finding out over a long, enjoyable time. Hopefully.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You're welcome. Just doin' what I can.

Even though it's your first go around, how are you liking the car, and the engine since that's what you've obviously put a lot of time on. These 7Ms are stupid smooth, and can be stupid quiet, just keep the hood closed :p
As far as the motor specifically. It is smooth and I like I6es already, so it's great. It's quick to rev up, quick to rev down. The turbo doesn't turn on normally when I drive it, but when I put the gas down it goes positive pressure in what I believe is a little less than a second. It pegs at 8lbs in idk how many rpms, in about 3 seconds, and I don't believe I've had it over 5k rpm yet. Once again, I don't have experience driving them, but I believe so far it's been good. I had to undo my 12v mod for my fuel pump. I am trying to pass smog, but go too rich @25 mph. We'll see if that and a new O2 sensor with gasket will make a diff. When I got back from the smog guy, I found my O2 sensor gasket was pretty much gone (cheap one came with my kit), and figured that replacing the 34 year old O2 sensor might help too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Snipe, you are absolutely killing me here. I had no idea your thread was going over here in Projects. I've got one going in the MKIII forum and I'm pretty psyched at the cosmetic way my engine is looking. Or, at least I was until 2 minutes ago when I finished reading your thread. That thing is sano - well done!! I"m about a month behind you. Just got the head on last weekend, valve covers refinished and installed an waiting for an oil pump hose as I ordered the wrong one back in November. I hope to have it smashing bugs by the end of May.

Doug
Nice, Doug. Good to hear it. My wife wanted me to youtube the build, and I thought that it would be very valuable. If I had though, I would still be building it because I would be having to do a vlog and a build. So I decided to just throw it on this site, which has helped me so much in getting this far. Advice to anyone is to use the search bar and the TSRM, and neither ain't easy either most of the time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Doug
Speaking of smashing bugs. I also like how this thing kills way less bugs then my truck. My truck also likes to suck angry bees into my cab as I zoom by. I have not had an angry bee in 600 miles and it's a great feeling. (y);)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nice on the bees. My restored Vanagon seems to suck bees in as it has those sweet triangular vent windows you can reverse like a scoop. With a downside of the bees. They also arrive mad as heck after being whacked and end up thumping me quite precisely in the same 4" circle on my chest. You take the good with the bad. So what truck do you have a 22RE in?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nice on the bees. My restored Vanagon seems to suck bees in as it has those sweet triangular vent windows you can reverse like a scoop. With a downside of the bees. They also arrive mad as heck after being whacked and end up thumping me quite precisely in the same 4" circle on my chest. You take the good with the bad. So what truck do you have a 22RE in?
A '94 pickup. Standard, and standard package. My bees land on my leg about 3-4" above the knee.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nice - that truck will go forever if you don't live in a northern rust belt area. Any more pics of the car coming?

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,630 Posts
It's stupid quiet with the windows up :giggle:, except for the fuel pump sound in the cabin. Naw, actually. My motor in my pickup, the 22re, has 1.25 mil miles on it. This car is seriously quieter with the hood open than what I'm used to, or maybe it's because the sounds are nicer to listen to. Idk. Otherwise, it's been great. Once I was satisfactorily convinced it wasn't going to gush fluids everywhere and blow up, I drove it to work. When I arrived and stepped out of the car, I had a grin on my face that lasted well... I still kind of have it. You should have seen me before I started the car. I primed the fuel, and gas would spray out of the end of a hose somewhere. I would repair it with a spare hose clamp I had laying around, and try again. A different hose end would be spraying gas. The 3rd time I went and bought hoses and a big pack of hose clamps. There is a two lane highway near hear that's curvy and uphill into the mountains. I drove it up there last Friday. I just had it in 4th going 55, except for some short passing zones where I had to give it some throttle. I touched the brakes 3 or 4 times. Most of the curve warning signs vary from 25 to 35. These cars handle roads really well. The TEMS is still working, I had no idea they would firm up into a bank. That is pretty nice to learn. I have a ton of mountain driving experience. The car did not let me down on the way up, or on the way down. I am still going easy on her and have not used the full rpm range, as it does not have 1000 miles on it. We'll see if I stretch her legs out more after that 1000, but don't want to break it or stress it out of reliability. I wish I had a spare that I didn't mind blowing up or crashing that I could repair, so I could find out what she'd do. I guess I'll have to end up finding out over a long, enjoyable time. Hopefully.

It's nice to hear that it's putting a smile on your face. It's also nice to hear how the car didn't let you down in the mountain passes, either considering your experience.

EDIT: Are you going to take it to the old Air Force mechanic after break in? Make sure and let her know her ear didn't let her down with the #6 piston.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It's nice to hear that it's putting a smile on your face. It's also nice to hear how the car didn't let you down in the mountain passes, either considering your experience.

EDIT: Are you going to take it to the old Air Force mechanic after break in? Make sure and let her know her ear didn't let her down with the #6 piston.
I plan on doing exactly that. I want to make sure I get my smog cert first so I can definitely say it's ready to rock and roll before I give her a ride in it.

·
90T
666 Posts
post up your smog check results and I'll help you diagnose. You will need EGR working to pass and the vacuum modulators often have failed after 30 years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
post up your smog check results and I'll help you diagnose. You will need EGR working to pass and the vacuum modulators often have failed after 30 years.
I have been looking for that paper ever since. He went through it with me and gave me his opinion on it. I have the receipts and everything else. I am wondering if he retains it since he does not charge if you fail. A retest is $37.50, STAR station too. My HC was high, at about 350. I believe CO was above failing, but not crazy so like the HC. He said he believed it may be rich, and that he believes the CO would go down naturally with the HC. I also definitely remember him showing me the NOX number was all good, said that makes him think cats are still good. Recommends checking O2 sensor, because he didn't find fault with EGR functionality. After I found the gasket on the O2 sensor was obliterated, I broke down and bought a new Denso O2 sensor which comes with the gasket and installed it. I also undid my 12v mod until after smog, but apparently they are closed till next Monday. I only failed at speed, not on idle, while idle was a little high. Just satisfied that I did not go gross polluter. Could it possibly be the vac modulator?

·
90T
666 Posts
high HCs often is a misfire, even a intermittent misfire can push you over the limit. He should give you the results after a fail. Strangely a bad EGR modulator can result in high HCs because with too much EGR the mixture becomes hard to light.

If you can get the test numbers we can compute the mixture and see if the car has fuel control. He should be able to print you out another copy.

It's unlikely to be the 12V pump mod. That just adds wear and tear to the pump but the fuel pressure should still be controlled by the factory FPR to 36 psi regardles of pump speed. .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
high HCs often is a misfire, even a intermittent misfire can push you over the limit. He should give you the results after a fail. Strangely a bad EGR modulator can result in high HCs because with too much EGR the mixture becomes hard to light.

If you can get the test numbers we can compute the mixture and see if the car has fuel control. He should be able to print you out another copy.

It's unlikely to be the 12V pump mod. That just adds wear and tear to the pump but the fuel pressure should still be controlled by the factory FPR to 36 psi regardles of pump speed. .
Thank you. I might as well get a new FPR and vac modulator while I'm at it, they are both 34 years old. Downside is if I pass after replacing all these things, I will not know which was responsible. I also took some pride in how many 34 year old original to the car parts I was able to re-use. Oh well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
The modulator test is a 10 minute thing involving blowing through one of the ports and seeing if it is open or closed.

Here is the test:
View attachment 260174

There is a strong resistance to airflow, but not to too much pressure. When I blow in the tube there is a good resistance, but when I blow harder it gives. It does actually feel like air pressure making it's way under a membrane's pressure, like if I tried to blow air through a straw in an unusually deep container full of water. You would feel resistance, then spurts of released pressure as bubbles are formed, and then imagine if you blew harder you would feel the feedback of creating a stream of air. About the same amount of pressure needed for the median fill of a water balloon if you were blowing it up with air, maybe just a little bit less. I hope that these comparisons together give a sense of how the test was at 2500 rpm. Does that tell us anything?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

My smog guy got back from vacation and I went and got the printout. I attached a picture of it.

·
90T
666 Posts

You can see your 25mph A/F is a little rich at 14.47. This is at the hairy edge of where the converter can oxidize CO/HC. A good running mk3 is usually 14.65 to 14.75

You fall into the category of high HC, high CO, which indicates a rich mixture. Its not actually misfiring since the O2 is zero, but it points to fuel control problem or a bad cat.

Its not an EGR dilution problem because CO is high.

I would check the number of cross counts of the oxygen sensor. You may have a lazy O2 sensor. That's your best case scenario. Worst case is the cat is bad and needs to be replaced. Are you running the stock downpipe cat as well as the main cat?

To check crosscounts hook up a voltmeter to the diagnostic connector VF1 and E1 terminals while shorting TE1 and E1 (diagnostic mode). At 2500 rpm you should see 8 cross counts in 10 seconds. Any less and its lazy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
View attachment 260392

You can see your 25mph A/F is a little rich at 14.47. This is at the hairy edge of where the converter can oxidize CO/HC. A good running mk3 is usually 14.65 to 14.75

You fall into the category of high HC, high CO, which indicates a rich mixture. Its not actually misfiring since the O2 is zero, but it points to fuel control problem or a bad cat.

Its not an EGR dilution problem because CO is high.

I would check the number of cross counts of the oxygen sensor. You may have a lazy O2 sensor. That's your best case scenario. Worst case is the cat is bad and needs to be replaced. Are you running the stock downpipe cat as well as the main cat?

To check crosscounts hook up a voltmeter to the diagnostic connector VF1 and E1 terminals while shorting TE1 and E1 (diagnostic mode). At 2500 rpm you should see 8 cross counts in 10 seconds. Any less and its lazy.

Yes, I am running both stock cats. Could this have been caused by my o2 sensor gasket missing? Because it went up in smoke and left my sensor just rattling around on top of the downpipe. I have replaced it and the sensor with oem already, but have not re-tested.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts