Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I am new to supra forums. Recently I purchased a stock 97 tt supra with 34k on the clcok and I have some goals in mind for what I want to do with it. Currently I also have a 2003 BMW m3 and am no stranger to cars.

I have dreamed of owning a supra for as long as I can remember. My goal for this car is to make around 650-750rwhp. I want it to cut down anything the steps up on the street. Just to get a starting point do you think it would be better to keep the tt system or convert to a single bigger turbo.

Thank you very much
Nice to meet you all
-Kyle

·
97 HARD TOP
1,044 Posts
welcome to the forums man. anything and everything is possible with this car, as much as i would encourage for you to go single, i dont think i could make myself take apart a low 34K mile stock limited edition supra. it would lose to much value in my eyes. good luck with your goals though.

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,086 Posts
welcome to the forums man. anything and everything is possible with this car, as much as i would encourage for you to go single, i dont think i could make myself take apart a low 34K mile stock limited edition supra. it would lose to much value in my eyes. good luck with your goals though.

Its just a car. Go and mod away.

R.K.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I'm fairly new myself, but everything I've read from other members' builds is that a larger single is a popular way to go. You could stick with a twin set up, but the stock twins won't get you the power you're looking for (something you probably already know). If you stay with twins you can choose between running them parallel or sequential, something you'll need to decide based on preference for your build. In the end it will come down to the money you want to put in the car and the set up you think is best based on your research and what you're looking for. There are a ton of different options and directions you can go.

+3 for pics of both your cars

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I'm not sure how you mean "keep the tt system" but in case you don't already know, the stock twin turbos are not capable of anything even close to what your goals are. Even the "upgraded twins" that Stu Hagen initiated with help from his associates and now sold thru SpeedForSale won't get you there. So if you want to compare something with the various single turbo solutions, you'll have to consider aftermarket twins. Everybody will point out that is a more expensive path, though it's one I took and I'm very happy with my choices.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
is this car automatic or 6 speed?

what i would do is start gathering parts ..i would def start with a nice Catback exhaust and suspension

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off thanks for all the fast responses. I will hopefully have possesion of the car by the end of next week for pics.

Second what I mean by the "tt" system is weather or not I want to keep a twin turbo set up or move to a single turbo. Upgrading the turbo(s) is a garuntee. Because for me this was always a dream I never really thought I would own one so didn't bother with aftermarket research thinking I would just be teasing myself.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Sounds like a great find!! Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I'm in Doylestown hit me up!!!!

Mini meet coming up:http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?633210-Annual-Philly-Supra-Meet-2011!!!

650-750whp would take care of almost everything short of bikes, and it can be done relatively easy, without building the engine at all. Plenty of options however whatever you do, use two denso pumps, stay away from Walbro. If you need a great builder, who only works on Supra's, let me know, he has done work on plenty of local supra's including Nick 95 6speeds car.

·
Super Moderator
11,560 Posts
What made you pick 650-750whp as your target number? Cutting down everything that 'steps up on the street' is going to take a hell of a lot more than 750whp. With each 100whp you get more and more exclusive, but the limitations of a RWD car with independent rear suspension gets very VERY clear around 600whp. Plus, there's ALWAYS someone that's going to be faster. So if your goal is truly to be a street dominator, I am afraid that you're in for disappointment and a much MUCH lighter wallet before finding that out.

Having seen too many friends jump into the 'big build' and being no stranger to it myself, I wish I'd taken it a step at a time and simply enjoyed the car. I truly, sincerely recommend you do that.

Around 500-600whp is where sticky street tires start failing to cut it, and you have to make sacrifices to handling both in suspension setup and in tire configuration in order to get traction. The more power you make, the more things need to be changed, the less streetable the car becomes, etc etc.

While huge power and true streetability is possible, with no finer example than Ken Henderson's 1100whp big HKS twins Supra aka 'Blackie', it is not a path for the light of heart or wallet.

My 100% honest and real-life psuedo-OG opinion is that just go 'BPU' by doing exhaust mods, a boost cut controller, and a nice front-mount intercooler (FMIC). That should easily net ~400-425whp and 1/4 mile trap speeds in the mid 110's all day long, with excellent driveability and reliability, until your stock clutch says 'F that' :)
This will get you hanging easily with C6 Z06's and many other 'fast' cars, and you can drive it across the country without worries.

From there, simply take it one step at a time and truly enjoy each upgrade and each improvement. Suspension mods, nice wheels, etc can be added any time as well.
When you go single turbo, opt for a smaller one like a PT6262 or PT6265 that matches the stock fuel system well. With good tuning and a healthy stock fuel system, ~500whp on pump gas is completely possible on the stock ECU with piggybacks like a VPC or MAP ECU, and another 30-40whp is possible from there with an APFR and cams so long as your fuel pump can keep up.

At that point, you'll have trap speeds in the low to mid 120's all day long with awesome reliability. You'll be able to run a single disc clutch that is streetable with the stock flywheel. You'll be able to keep the car on 18in (sticky) street tires. The car will really be balanced and enjoyable there.

Hold out at that power level as long as you can, because up from there gets expensive VERY fast. But seriously - just keep enjoying the car for it's own sake, not for the sake of dyno sheets or bragging rights.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
What made you pick 650-750whp as your target number? Cutting down everything that 'steps up on the street' is going to take a hell of a lot more than 750whp. With each 100whp you get more and more exclusive, but the limitations of a RWD car with independent rear suspension gets very VERY clear around 600whp. Plus, there's ALWAYS someone that's going to be faster. So if your goal is truly to be a street dominator, I am afraid that you're in for disappointment and a much MUCH lighter wallet before finding that out.

Having seen too many friends jump into the 'big build' and being no stranger to it myself, I wish I'd taken it a step at a time and simply enjoyed the car. I truly, sincerely recommend you do that.

Around 500-600whp is where sticky street tires start failing to cut it, and you have to make sacrifices to handling both in suspension setup and in tire configuration in order to get traction. The more power you make, the more things need to be changed, the less streetable the car becomes, etc etc.

While huge power and true streetability is possible, with no finer example than Ken Henderson's 1100whp big HKS twins Supra aka 'Blackie', it is not a path for the light of heart or wallet.

My 100% honest and real-life psuedo-OG opinion is that just go 'BPU' by doing exhaust mods, a boost cut controller, and a nice front-mount intercooler (FMIC). That should easily net ~400-425whp and 1/4 mile trap speeds in the mid 110's all day long, with excellent driveability and reliability, until your stock clutch says 'F that' :)
This will get you hanging easily with C6 Z06's and many other 'fast' cars, and you can drive it across the country without worries.

From there, simply take it one step at a time and truly enjoy each upgrade and each improvement. Suspension mods, nice wheels, etc can be added any time as well.
When you go single turbo, opt for a smaller one like a PT6262 or PT6265 that matches the stock fuel system well. With good tuning and a healthy stock fuel system, ~500whp on pump gas is completely possible on the stock ECU with piggybacks like a VPC or MAP ECU, and another 30-40whp is possible from there with an APFR and cams so long as your fuel pump can keep up.

At that point, you'll have trap speeds in the low to mid 120's all day long with awesome reliability. You'll be able to run a single disc clutch that is streetable with the stock flywheel. You'll be able to keep the car on 18in (sticky) street tires. The car will really be balanced and enjoyable there.

Hold out at that power level as long as you can, because up from there gets expensive VERY fast. But seriously - just keep enjoying the car for it's own sake, not for the sake of dyno sheets or bragging rights.

Very good post

·
Mindset of a Killer...
1,778 Posts

I'm sorry but you aren't going to be hanging with a C6 Z06 at all with BPU mods. Also who cares what he does with his car? Some guys want a highway destroyer which it sounds like what this guy wants. If you have E85 near your house and are willing to change things as well as prepare with whats to come with big power go ahead and hit your 650-750whp goal. This guy is right that you won't take down everyone on the street but you will have a car that traps in the 140s and very few people will be able to mess with and still be streetable.

Just my .02 cents.

Also welcome to the Supra world! You will see that the car you have is capable of so much. Read as much as you can and learn so that you can create the beast that you are looking to make.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts