Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New owner's first build - 1JZ SC400 going BW S360

(apologies in advance for the super long thread. Will edit as parts are decided/ordered/arrive)

-------------------------BORING BACKGROUND STUFF------------------------

Hello everyone, after lurking for a bit and soaking in tons of information I'm ready to start my build thread and (hopefully) get some help along the way!

A bit of background for myself - I have been in the car and bike scene for roughly 12 years, but always with domestics. I only have basic knowledge of these impressive JZ series motors, but I am definitely mechanically inclined and have built motors in the past. I am currently almost done with a nice drag camaro - porch built 383 stroker, solid roller, GTP ported AFR 220 heads, built powerglide w/ 5.5k stall and trans brake, etc, etc that should be roughly 650hp NA. A 383ci V8 is a whole different ballgame then these zippy little turbo 6cyl's, so I am basically starting all over again as a noob :). I also have a fun little nitrous'd ZX14R.

After my boring daily got rear-ended, I was looking for something relatively inexpensive but still fun to get into, and wanted something different then the tons of domestic muscle I had been used to. I stumbled upon a pretty rough 95 SC400 that had a super clean nearly stock 1JZ under the hood. After talking back and forth with the guy I found out it only had roughly 70k on the drivetrain and it was professionally installed by a local JDM shop. It needed enough work to be a fun project, but not enough to be a money pit(or so I thought...ended up a money pit anyway!) so I pulled the trigger and here I am!

The car is a 95 SC400 with the drivetrain of a 92 Soarer TT auto. The motor runs great, oil nice and clean, with no leaks or knocks. Car has cosmetic issues and had no AC (which helped me get it cheap) but runs great. Trans shifts nice and smoothly, and it has a 2800 stall so jumps right into boost. Godspeed coilovers on all 4 corners, 19" wheels, FMIC, etc. The first thing I did was get the AC line repaired, then I threw in the double din Pioneer head unit and sub setup from my rear ended daily. The ugly tan rear seats were removed and painted black with SEM leather paint (since they won't be used and I just wanted them to look good), and I will pick up some aftermarket seats for the front. Doors will be reupholstered and dyed, etc. I had some sporadic gauge issues and it seemed to randomly run rich so I pulled the ECU and replaced the caps - 4 out of 5 of them were leaking - and those issues are now gone (might even be peppier too!).

Now to the fun part...after driving it and thrashing on it for a month, I started to notice some smoke from the tailpipe but only after staying in boost for extended amount of time. It can idle clean and putt around town all day, but a few WOT runs on the highway and it will smoke some when I come to a stop. Cleaning the PCV valve didn't help (it was already clean and it has the metal 2JZ PCV valve), so I pulled the intercooler tubing and noticed some oil film in it so it looks like one or both of the stock baby twins are on their way out. Instead of spending ~700-800 rebuilding them, after some research I decided to take the smart way out and convert it to a single turbo. I would love some input from those more experienced, to see if I'm missing anything...my budget is roughly $2k(sike, already way past that lol)...so it won't be a cheap chinese kit with no supporting mods, but it definitely isn't a high dollar build. My goals are only ~425rwhp, to keep the (assumed) stock auto trans happy.

-------------------BUILD STARTS HERE!-------------------------

Current plan/will be edited and changed as I go along - please let me know if something just plain won't work or doesn't make sense!:
- Emanage Ultimate w/ the T13 vehicle specific plug and play harness for my ECU. (ordered+arrived+installed)
- AEM UEGO Wideband (ordered+arrived+installed)
- AEM Tru-Boost EBC+gauge combo(ordered+arrived+installed)
- BW s300sx S360 turbo, cxracing 11ga stainless Header converting to vband WG, 3" downpipe, -4an feed/-10an drain oil line kit(ordered+arrived+installed)
- Aeromotive 320lph Fuel pump(ordered+Arrived+installed)
- Injectors: Denso 650cc drop-ins(ordered+arrived+installed)
- Wastegate: Turbosmart Hypergate 45mm (ordered+arrived+installed)

Obviously my 2k budget was blown clean out the window after doing more research and wanting things done right the first time. The car already has a nice big FMIC with coated pipes and an HKS SSQV BOV that I will be reusing, and I have a brand new fuel filters to go in when I change the pump.

Am I way off here? Looks good? Accident waiting to happen??? Feedback and criticism welcome!

**edit** Everything has been ordered!!! Once the wastegate and injectors come in I'll update this thread with pics of everything before I start installing stuff.

**edit2** Everything has been installed and base tune on the EMU. I need to replace my LCA bushings before I can finish tuning it since its getting very sketchy on the highway and they are rotted and falling apart. Got my Poly bushing in, hope to install them on my next day off!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would a GT35 w/.68AR be a better choice for a ~400-450rwhp auto 1JZ? T70 seems pretty large for a 2.5L.

Its a stalled auto so I don't mind it not making boost until 3k, but don't want it so laggy that it wont start making boost until 4.5k.

·
Registered
184 Posts
can't afford a 1k$ turbo? why not drop 500$ on a used Holset, properly sized it will make tons of power for cheap and they are overbuilt. Hx50 and bigger

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can't afford a 1k$ turbo? why not drop 500$ on a used Holset, properly sized it will make tons of power for cheap and they are overbuilt. Hx50 and bigger
Being a giant diesel turbo wouldn't it be a poor choice for a tiny ~425-450rwhp 2.5l? A quick search is only showing 10yo threads talking about it, although they do say it is an incredibly strong piece.

I'm trying to have fun with the car, but its a street car and I don't need another $20k+ project like my Z. Just want a fun little 1JZ to putt around in, and want to keep the single swap to around $2k unless it really makes sense to switch something out. I'm back to thinking about GT35s...should be enough for my goals from what I can gather.

Anyone have any experience with the MAPECU vs Emanage blue? It's not much more money and seems like it can do a whole lot more. Wouldn't think I need a standalone for sub 500rwhp, and being an auto it seems my selections would be limited anyway.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ended up not getting an ebay turbo and getting a new twin scroll s300sx from the forums. Should be good for more power, less lag, and more importantly more reliability then the ebay T70. Trying to see if I can get a divided manifold, if not I'll run it on an open one for now and get a QSV in the future to take advantage of the twin scroll turbo. Already blew my budget out the window and haven't even gotten injectors and a piggyback yet...and don't want to add another $600 on top of that lol.

Also ordered an AEM Tru-Boost gauge+EBC combo and an X-series UEGO wideband along with the single turbo conversion oil line kit.

Most of the parts have been ordered, just waiting on response from tuner for suggestions on injectors and piggyback to use. Thinking 650cc's w/ MAPECU3 for future proofing in case I want to turn it up past the ~425rwhp(through a stalled auto) in the future, unless he thinks I can get away with an Emanage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ordered an E-manage Ultimate and the plug-n-play harness so I don't have to be breaking my back soldering under the glove box. I'm lazy lmao. Even farther over budget now lol :(.

Only thing left to order are a wastegate and the drop-in injectors!...trying to find something 650cc but better quality then the $200 no-name ebay specials that won't cost me $500 freaking dollars. Even though they are claimed to be "identical ohms to stock and flow bench matched" I don't trust them lasting.

Apparently I am just finding out that JZ injectors are expensive as hell, since I remember getting 8x name brand flow bench matched injectors for my stroker for like $200 less then they want for 6x 1JZ drop-ins.

·
Turbology
434 Posts
Welcome, sounds like a fun project! Good call on that BW S300, they offer a lot of bang for the buck, great value. I'm generally not a huge e-Manage fan, but it should be just fine for your intended goals.

I know you're not trying to break the bank, but if you want a beefy twin-scroll manifold that will take everything you throw at it, DOCRace makes some really nice ones.

http://docrace.com/collections/1jz-gte

As an aside, I really dig the JZZ cars, they're like a Supra in a tuxedo. The gauges (and specifically the needles, however, are known to burn out. These are pretty cool.

http://www.lextech.org/osCommerce/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome, sounds like a fun project! Good call on that BW S300, they offer a lot of bang for the buck, great value. I'm generally not a huge e-Manage fan, but it should be just fine for your intended goals.

I know you're not trying to break the bank, but if you want a beefy twin-scroll manifold that will take everything you throw at it, DOCRace makes some really nice ones.

http://docrace.com/collections/1jz-gte

As an aside, I really dig the JZZ cars, they're like a Supra in a tuxedo. The gauges (and specifically the needles, however, are known to burn out. These are pretty cool.

http://www.lextech.org/osCommerce/
Awesome, thanks for the links! I went with the E-Manage Ultimate since I found one for a great price, it does a lot more then the Blue or SAFC (I like the wideband input to target A/F to hopefully let me limp to a tuner without needing to purchase or tune a base map) and with the plug and play harness addition its a super easy install. The MAPECU3 was another option, but it would have ended up around $500 more for not much benefit to me over the Ultimate. Ideally I would have a true standalone like the AEM setup for the motor, with a Suprastick paddleshifted controller for the stalled auto, but that was way out of the budget for now...although if I do decide to build the trans in the future I would definitely be turning up the boost and running a standalone+suprastick setup.

That manifold is beautiful...just not in the cards right now but eventually I'm sure I'll be looking for a proper twin scroll mani :).

I've already noticed some gauge issues, every once in a while I have to give the top of the dash a slap to get the tach/speedo working so I'm sure they are slowly going out. Looks like the repair is super cheap from that site though, I bookmarked it since I'm sure I'll need it in the future :).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for injectors, I am going to call a couple tuning shops nearby to see if they have done Denso 800cc or larger injectors w/ an Emanage Ultimate, since they are the same or less then the 650s I was going to run and would leave me more room to grow in the future. I have seen people run 750s on the Ultimate and claim they work fine, but I have also seen people claim they are too big. If he gives me the go-ahead on the 800s, I will order them today and finally have everything ordered(besides the unavoidable little things that nickel and dime you).

As a side, I am also getting ready to plastidip it Carbon Red since the factory clear was peeling and was getting pretty rough. It should have been finished last week but after I got the black base coat down I stopped for a break(bad idea), and the gun dried up and got clogged when I got back. Took it apart and cleaned it out, but then the can gasket wouldn't seal so it was barely spraying and I couldn't lay the clear+flake. I ordered an upgraded gun kit for it anyway since I wanted the longer more flexible hose too. I'll get that done on my next day off that doesn't rain...which will probably be a week from now thanks to the tropical storm off the coast.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as fuel system is concerned, I am generally an advocate of over-building for your goals within reason. I am usually a stalwart Injector Dynamics guy, but they are not the end all of injectors. Some other brands to consider:
Since you are in FL, are you planning on running E85 or regular pump gas?
The car will be tuned for 93 pump, not many E85 spots in my area so it wouldn't be convenient for me.

·
Turbology
434 Posts
The car will be tuned for 93 pump, not many E85 spots in my area so it wouldn't be convenient for me.
Cool, CT banned the sale of E85, so I feel your pain. In that case, if you are aiming for 500whp or so, 600cc should put you right there at 85-90% IDC. :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Where in FL are you at? Another injector to consider is the FID injectors. I have ran 2 sets of them with no issues. And they don't hurt your pocket to crazy either. Have any pictures? I can't see any on here, so if you posted some, my bad!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Where in FL are you at? Another injector to consider is the FID injectors. I have ran 2 sets of them with no issues. And they don't hurt your pocket to crazy either. Have any pictures? I can't see any on here, so if you posted some, my bad!
I recently moved to the Sanford/Deltona area, but lived near Orlando before that. I'll take a look at the FID injectors too!

Here are a few crappy cell pics I just uploaded. Hopefully your browser resizes automatically since they arent cropped.
This is how I got it (that sticker was removed day 1 LOL):

Engine:

Bumper had some damage/cracks:

Did a quick sanding+glaze putty+primer just to improve it a bit. Also removed the pinstripe and badges. Will keep the "L" lexus badges on the front and rear, but keeping the "SC400" badge off of it and filled the mounting holes. Painting the Lexus logos black to go on the soon to be red car. Bumper is not perfect, but much better!:

Started to dip it Carbon Red but the gun started acting up after the base coat so its just matte black for now. Ordered a new gun but can't finish until it stops raining, which won't be for 3-4 days thanks to Hermine.:

Infamous leaky caps. Car would randomly run very rich, when I opened it up 4 out of 5 of the ECU caps were leaking.:

Replaced them all with high quality replacements:

Probably have more pics of random boring stuff, but that's what I had sent to PC so far. Later on I'll start posting pictures of all the pretty parts as they get delivered...its like random Christmas every couple days when you order a bunch of crap at once LOL! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The turbo, boost gauge+EBC, wideband, and EMU have all arrived. Header and downpipe tried to be delivered but nobody was here to sign so I will have to pick it up sometime during the week.

Still need to order injectors and wastegate...scanning forums for deals, so if anyone has a hookup on a used name brand wastegate for a good price or some 650-800cc drop in/side feed injectors please let me know! Almost have all the parts...then comes the fun part, installing it all...

To prevent wasted time from installing everything at once then trying to hunt down possible issues, my plan is to first install the boost controller, wideband, injectors, and EMU. Once I have those things working together properly with the stock twins, and I have familiarized myself with the EMU software, I will then install the turbo setup and retune for it. This should eliminate a lot of possible errors vs installing everything at once then trying to troubleshoot any issues that pop up. I have learned early from modding cars and drag racing to try to do small changes at a time to a combo and not change everything at once. If you don't, it makes it a total pain to diagnose issues!

·
Turbology
434 Posts
Wow, glad that was a relatively easy fix for the ECU, I've replaced a few capacitors on giant TVs that people thought were toast. ;)

I am usually Team TiAL, but you can find Turbosmart wastegates for really good deals at any number of popular online performance sites and even Fleabay.

As for those injectors, check Fleabay once again, there are tons of people selling Bosch EV14 flow-matched injectors with a nice anodized rail and FPR for cheap!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, glad that was a relatively easy fix for the ECU, I've replaced a few capacitors on giant TVs that people thought were toast. ;)

I am usually Team TiAL, but you can find Turbosmart wastegates for really good deals at any number of popular online performance sites and even Fleabay.

As for those injectors, check Fleabay once again, there are tons of people selling Bosch EV14 flow-matched injectors with a nice anodized rail and FPR for cheap!
I might just end up going the top mount injector/AFPR/Rail combo. It's only like $200 bucks more then the crazy expensive side feed injectors, and with the EMU being able to adjust fuel pressure at the rail should help me dial everything in easier...need to do more research on how it ties to the stock lines and if I need any adapters besides the kit or it it's just drop in replacement for stock rails.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those top rail kits don't come with fittings/hoses/and the AFPR so its really going to end up being another ~$500 more for something I really don't need...just going to bite the bullet on some Denso side feeds unless something good pops up in the next few days. Still scoping out the forums for some 650-800cc injectors and a deal on a wastegate! Also need a 4bolt->vband flange adapter, but I will get one cheap from ebay or have one made locally. Will be dipping the car Carbon Red on Thursday if the weather holds up, and if I have time after that I will install the a-pillar wideband and boost+EBC gauges.

Plug and Play harness is shipping from Japan, so will probably be another 2 weeks at least until I can install the injectors and Emanage Ultimate so I have until then to find a deal on injectors or just buy them new. I want to get the injectors+emanage installed and working on the stock twins before I do the actual single install. Until then, the pretty little s360 is sitting in a bag in my pile of car parts :). Again, with a bunch of parts its best to install them slowly/one at a time so if there are any issues its much easier to troubleshoot. Changing the injectors, computer, turbo, and a boost controller all at once would be a total pain to troubleshoot if something goes wrong and its not running right...would you blame the computer, injectors, fuel pump, or what???

·
Turbology
434 Posts
Good call on that approach, definitely easier to troubleshoot in stepped stages rather than a complete yard sale all at once.

Kind of off-topic, but while you have the S360 out of the car, you should send it to the boys at OCD Works for a little T51R magic... ;)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts