Supra Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I did many attempts and templates to get to a final piece for the replacement piece on the shroud. I ended up sanding down the curve in the shroud to help with making cutting easier, and things started moving after that. My friend Jason gave me the idea to use some metal to help keep it in place, and I ended up using these bands. I glued the crack and put in the shorter band first, then I shaped the plastic again and glued the plastic down while setting the final long band in place. I let it cure for 48 hours, and then painted it with some high temp satin black.

The plastic filler plate definitely helped some for sure, and it slowed the temp creep. For example, it would camp out at acceptable levels once warmed up, and it would then get to 200* much slower after that. However, big improvements on temp control at idle were gained when the plastic shroud was put in place. It held for 196* at idle for over 30 mins (stock Chevy t-stat is 190,so I was ok with this despite my t-stat being 180*), and I could've never done this before as it would've gone past 200 in about the half the time pre-filler and shroud. Since I'm the car whisperer, I also noticed the fan sound was different, a little louder and a little deeper in tone.

Attachments

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Now, I'm just waiting on my two exhaust tips and front and rear upgraded sway bars so I can do the body mount bushings and suspension in one go around. I've got the tubular control arms for the front, and a bunch of exhaust parts. Hopefully my measurements, geometry and trigonometry turns out right for setting up the exhaust. My idea of using dtm exhaust tips in the way I wanted isn't going to work, so my backup plan will be put in place. I'll be getting some aluminum adjustable end links too. I was going to order lowering springs, but the front control arms may lower the front of the car up to two inches, so I'll wait a month or so to see if I get lowering springs or not. A buddy of mine has corner weighing system, so when the exhaust and suspension gets done, I'll go get it weighed to see how the car is balanced. Who wants to guess what my weights will be?

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
See pics of me and my friend's '69 Trans-Am.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
It's been a long time since I've added to this, but it's also been a long time since I've done much to the Galaxy Class. My well being (in numerous ways) has been pretty miserable the past year or so, but it got worse C19 roll out in the U.S. With the aid of a friend, he's helped get a little more focused on getting things done by encouraging me to get tools, lighting and a tool chest. I recently added the top to this and I feel kinda' bad for having such a large tool chest. I don't know why though. Like guilty or something or wantonly excessive. I'm open to psychological deduction.

So, a few things; I did order and install the quicker ratio gear box. It's 18:1 now instead of the 24:1. It's about 5.5 turns lock to lock. I didn't want to get a quick ratio box since it's still manual steering. Upon installing the steering shaft lower bearing. I saw that the race on the lower bearing had chewed up the shaft. I had an extra column lying around (don't turn down old parts) I had had for about a year. I was intially going to try some art project or something, but all this time passes and lookie here, I can use this! Replaced the box, shaft, steering rag joints too. I just have to get the steering back together. Once that's done, I can get the exhaust put on. I used a bunch of math/trigonometry to make calculations for how it's getting routed. I'll see if my math worked out :p There's a crappy diagram of the routing. The exhaust will dump at an angle in front of the rear wheels and behind the door. I had to modify my idea as Sam said the rear trailing arm could get in the way, and it did.

Also, I got the front sway bar put in. The stock one is a twig compared to the 1.25" Hellwig bar. I had to drill into the frame to get the new mounts in place. The bushings are also poly too.

Got some Hella horns too. Does this make me a Subaru driver now? The Sparco bag holds the computer.

Attachments

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
A lot of this is mixing new ideas with old. As such, I think I'm narrowing down on wheel selection. I'm thinking 14x7" Supreme wheels with a standard offset. Supremes are an oldschool custom look. A period correct mod in a sense. 14" diameter to keep the factory wheel diameter with a possible white wall pinstripe tire. Although, I really do like the white lettering people are doing, and it might have that white wall look while keeping my tire options a hair larger.

Also. Pontiac T/A wheels!

I'm not sure which ones though. Black or gold. Only thing is size. I don't really like "big" wheels on old cars. 16" is pushing it, but it vastly opens up my tire selection. A little trouble is, what would the gold wheels look good with car body color wise? I'm still not sure on color. I'm open to color suggestions too, cross generational, and cross manufacturer. NO SILVER OR WHITE. Open to incorprating different ideas. Afterall, when the paint is selected I'm REALLY leaning towards mounting my side view mirrors on the fenders ala the vintage Japanese cars. I kinda like the idea of Evening Orchid too cuz I'm kooky like that. Oh, but with a touch of pearl added.

Gold
Black

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
I like the silver/chrome wheels with all of the other silver/chrome accents on the car. Don't feel bad about the tool box, feel bad about your bank account filling it :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow. There's a jealous frenchie up here in Canaduh

I didn't read the whole thread but did stare at the pretty pitchers. I can't believe the stock exhaust manifold is still there. I grew-up in the 80s so headers would have been first order of business so that's a survivor. Those rims are a dead ringer for Cragar SS.

Congrats - gorgeous ride.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I like the silver/chrome wheels with all of the other silver/chrome accents on the car. Don't feel bad about the tool box, feel bad about your bank account filling it :p
I was thinking the same, the big chrome bumpers, all the aluminum trim and stainless steel to boot. The T/A wheels because it's different and I think it could look good.

Wow. There's a jealous frenchie up here in Canaduh

I didn't read the whole thread but did stare at the pretty pitchers. I can't believe the stock exhaust manifold is still there. I grew-up in the 80s so headers would have been first order of business so that's a survivor. Those rims are a dead ringer for Cragar SS.

Congrats - gorgeous ride.
Thank you, and there were Canadian built Impalas, sooo you could potentially find a local one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you, and there were Canadian built Impalas, sooo you could potentially find a local one.
Oh I know... from experience. My buddy Harvey had an almost identical '66 with a 283 iirc and it would bury the speedometer. I remember being quite afraid more than once. Current cars at the time (early 80s) sucked in comparison.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yeah, it'll light the tires up pretty dang easy from a dig. When spinning from a dig I scare my niece and nephew and they are screaming, but they are laughing by the end of it. I forgot to mention in the last post, it's still got the stock ram horns as you saw, but I have ceramic coated ram horns waiting to be installed. It'll go from 2" collector outlet to 2.5", and It should help out the "new" cam and head flow a lot. It was weird combination stock, and it has/had the 10.5:1 compression 327, double hump heads, Rochester 750 Q-Jet, and the multi-link rear with dual upper trailing arms, while incorporating a three on the tree. Many, if not most, had the single upper arm. I've still go so much to do and want to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Holy crap I haven't driven a 3 on the tree since probably '83-4 (pickup).

Harvey's '66 / 283 didn't blow my mind lighting up the tires as you describe. He just stood on it long enough for the speedo to run out of room, hence the pant-shitting on my part. This thread has resurfaced a boatload of old, fun memories - thanks bud. I'll be following your progress.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I decided I needed to make peace with myself by stating it, as I've been thinking about it ever since. Well, a few hours after I had made my last post, I had realized something with regards to myself and this car. I realized that my Impala and my unsureness of color, and wheel selection to a lesser extent, is a physical manifestation of my own internal struggle, of my own unsureness of not knowing what I want for myself/in life.

Alas, a pity brains are. As, what good are they if one can not use them.

With regards to color, I did come across this Impala in a massive thread on a lowrider site, and the thread was strictly for '66 Impalas. Thinking I might find some ideas as the lowrider folks love to experiment with colors, I decided to check it out. I've barely scratched the thread's content, but it's an ancient thread so many of the pics were hosted on Photobucket. I did manage to find this one. As far as I can tell, it's a "Light Green" color code, but it could also be an Aqua Mist, or even Turquoise Mist. The attached one looks to be the same, albeit a little lighter in green. I think the lowrider one is jus underexposed, which is why it looks like a darker green.

Attachments

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
41 - 54 of 54 Posts