Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove the car down to the Friday night NOPI test n tune to try out the new converter. I had Fred at Midwest rebuild my PI converter – the fins were bent and it was blowing thru on the top end - it was in the car for 5 years! It took us two tries to get the stall speed right, ended up with a 3400 stall.

First run, I started loading it up on the line and it immediately started spinning thru the brakes – damn the converter is tight! So, I let off and backed up to run again despite the dirty looks from the starter!

I brought the RPM’s up – cautiously this time – and let ‘er loose. Launched kinda soft, then it came alive, ended up with a [email protected]! I was happy as hell with the MPH as it eclipsed my previous best by a ton! Here is the breakdown:

60’ 1.560
330’ 4.182
1/8 6.337
MPH 114.61
1/4 9.778
MPH 141.16

Next run, I tried a 75 shot for the launch and went up in smoke! Made one last run with the normal 50 shot launch. I launched soft, 1.69 60’, and ran [email protected]

I am really happy with the speed, but got to get used to the converter and get the short times down a lot. This is a heavy street car – 3530 lbs – heavy wheels, TT brakes, etc. I need some lightweight wheels and brakes on there, but I like to keep it streetable with the good brakes and DR’s, which are the 255/50-16’s.

The track was not hooking the greatest. Krys Efantis and a couple of the other Supra guys smoked the tires pretty good a couple times. I am sure it hooked better Sat & Sun for the race, but I never made it back, oh well!

Al

·
Registered
201 Posts
Congrats bud, glad to see that new converter worked out! Great times/mph and I'm sure better ones to come when you put it all together.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Congrats Al!!!! Car is definitely moving. I am sure you will get faster with alittle more seat time.

·
Boost Junkie
12,740 Posts
Great passes! That is a killer mph for a built Toyo trans as well. Looking forward to seeing what it does once you get the 60fts where you want them.

If you are spraying out of the hole, is it really necessary to load the converter up? I thought that could cause problems and the whole reason for the spray was to keep from having to load up the converter at the launch?

Steve

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,783 Posts
Awesome Al!! :D!! My $ says you run a 9.58 with that car this season!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot guys! We had a nice cold front come in for two days, so instead of 90's and unbearably humid, it was about 80 deg. I was all about that, and even took the day off work!

What I meant by loading it up on the line was just bringing it up to stall speed on the brake. The converter is really different than my old one - it is really aggressive in the 3500 RPM range - causing wheelspin even though it is not building any boost. :scratch:

I am not complaining though - it is putting a LOT more power down than the old one! I gained 3 MPH in the 1/8th over my previous best and 6 MPH over what it had been running in the 1/8th for the last year while blowing thru.

Al

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Congrats Al! Those are very stout numbers. That is
quite a bit of trap pick-up given the speed you were
running already. That is a lot of power to the ground.
Way to go!
Wayne

·
HIGH OFF BOOST
788 Posts
Very nice numbers what trans are you running

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
Great times Al, for some reason I thoght you had made a 9.78 before but it was a 9.87. Anyways, it was cool hanging out with you and Brenda again and I cant wait to see what the car does in the fall!

Jason

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Great times! Congratulations! Who built your tranny for you? It seems like there are so many people who can't keep a toyota tranny together with a single turbo, but it looks like yours is holding up. So that's why I'm asking. :bigok:

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Congrats Al!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Al , congrats on the new times car looked smooth as hell . Track was actullay better Friday than Saturday or Sunday . We Ran 8.07 180 friday night had some issues sat and sun but came home with the win..

[email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts