Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I installed a prototype set of Phoenix Micro Light 9006 HIDs in my ‘97TT - these are modified HID capsules that have been optimized to reduce/eliminate the stray “triangle” light effect that is endemic to Supra’s with US spec headlamps and HIDs. This project came about as a result of communication I had with Bob Bueker of PML about this problem. He was apparently unaware of it, but agreed to work to try to resolve the problem. Since PML is relatively local to me, I brought down my headlamps along with my old PML 9006 HID capsules for them to work with. Bob put his team to work on the problem, and after a week or so called me to say they had resolved the problem. I won’t go into details about what they have done except to say that there are now individual right and left side bulbs, and some strategically placed coatings here and there on the capsule.

OK, enough with the background you say - what are the results? Well, there are still the two stray light beams. But, compared with the old setup I would estimate that the intensity and size of the “triangle” is maybe 10-15% of a standard unmodified 9006 conversion capsule. That is a HUGE improvement, and the setup is very acceptable, whereas before it was not IMO.
As far as overall lighting color and intensity, Bob informed me that the changes lower the light temperature 100 degrees or so, but I can’t tell the difference - they still look blue to me. The lights seem just as bright as before, although I’m sure there has been a small reduction in output as a result of the modification. However, I lined my Supra up along a BMW and an Audi with HIDs and my headlights seemed just as bright if not brighter than those cars lights. In any case, a small reduction in performance would be a fair tradeoff to get rid of the annoying stray lights that made my car look like it had a pair of small searchlights pointing up and to the left!!

This is a very worthwhile setup to consider. If you are planning to install HIDs, check out the PML Supra setup. Even if you have existing HIDs I would still recommend the mod, although it just depends on how annoyed you are with the stray light. Dusty over at MVP is in the loop on this, and I believe he can supply the new Supra setup.

Big round of thanks to Bob Bueker at Phoenix Micro Light for taking the time to engineer this new setup! Talk about customer service - he really went the extra mile.
Bob
97 6-speed

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the cost is the same as the regular kit, so anyone who currently sells PML can get them (like MVP). PML has a website but I don't think this product is listed there. No pics, sorry.

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts