Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after researching then reading then more research i found out that i dont really wanna have 400-450 hp as my daily driver car but mybe on my drag car...

so i decided to stick with about 325 hp

so now im wondering what turbo should i get... i know that 60-1 trim is out b/c i still want my car to be reliable... and from what ive read the 60-1 to4b has a life expectancy of 10k miles...

so im left with 3 option
stock rebuilt or 57 trim or 60 trim....
-no clip as i want fast spool

NOTE: can the stock turbo handle this without getting strees out?

I only PLAN to run 10 PSI

heres my mods now.
-BIC full 3" down pipe(no cat)(the dp has a 3" elbow)
-the exhaust is also full 3" with test pipe(well gutted cat with a test pipe through it.)and an ebay n1 muffler
-K&N filter
-ssq BOV
-lexus afm
-460 rx7 injectors(clean and flow tested)
-catch can
-manual boost controller
-apex turbo timer
-greedy egt at #6

heres what im still doing/getting b4 i run my car
-Apexi SAFC-II
-ic harpipes

would i make 300 with those set up??^^^

NOTE i know i need/recomended the folowing
-walbro fuel pump
-550cc
-afpr

but out out of cash right now all i have now is the money for the turbo upgraded / rebuilt..

·
Registered
707 Posts
You could probably make 300hp with your current mods, with the right tuning. Probably not at just 10psi though. Also might wanna get some 550cc injectors.

BTW, if you want faster spool, you'll want to get a clip, but from what I've read clips are overrated anyway. You'll want to turn up the boost past 10psi sooner or later...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
fuel pump, lex afm and some tuning and you should be at 325 easily. Im hoping to get 300 at 10psi at least.

you dont need 550's unless goin over 350hp...many have proven this.

you could get your 440cc injectors cleaned and probably run 400hp reliably.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys...

for the coment regarding the clip... i think i got it switch around...but it still wont change my decition as from what i understand clips make the turbo life less...

and my injectors are 460 NOT 440... its been cleaned and flow tested....

but i do have a question on my stock turbo once i pass like 5000rpm my car dont boost anymore... is that fuel cut or what???

i lost to a race against a gsx on second gear... i keep thinking that i would get a better boost at higher rpm but when i was there it wasnt giving me any more boost i had to shift to 3rd....

is it b/c of the stock turbo or is that the fuel cut that you guys are talking about...how do i get more boost at higher rpm?
or how do i remove fuel cut...
would the 8n5mm spark plug wires help me higher this or what?

oh i was running 8psi then

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Stock turbo and the upgraded ones run out of steam in high RPM's. The stock turbo sucks plain and simple for high RPM situations. Getting a 57 trim w/ no clip or with a 10 degree clip will help. The clip actually will help more with high RPM work than if you don't do it. If you want high RPM power and good boost, get a real turbo.

Fuel cut feels like you hit something. The car will violenty shutter and shake for about 2 seconds. You will know if and when you hit cut.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Trent said:
Stock turbo and the upgraded ones run out of steam in high RPM's. The stock turbo sucks plain and simple for high RPM situations. Getting a 57 trim w/ no clip or with a 10 degree clip will help. The clip actually will help more with high RPM work than if you don't do it. If you want high RPM power and good boost, get a real turbo.

Fuel cut feels like you hit something. The car will violenty shutter and shake for about 2 seconds. You will know if and when you hit cut.
when you said "get a real turbo" you mean a t4/t3 drop in hybrid?
what do you guys consider a REAL turbo?

and how about the 60 trim with no clip are they any good at high rpm? ae 4k or 5k up

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
stock turbo will hold boost to high rpm with one simple trick. Add washers to the wastegate and turn down your boost controller. That stops high pressure gases in the manifold from blowing your w/g flapper open. Sure its a bit of a pain because you have to readjust the washers all the time when you change boost settings, but a stock ct will hold all the reasonable boost you want to redline. I personally have ran 13 psi to redline, and know of many others who have run 15/16 to redline using this trick.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
mullenc525 said:
stock turbo will hold boost to high rpm with one simple trick. Add washers to the wastegate and turn down your boost controller. That stops high pressure gases in the manifold from blowing your w/g flapper open. Sure its a bit of a pain because you have to readjust the washers all the time when you change boost settings, but a stock ct will hold all the reasonable boost you want to redline. I personally have ran 13 psi to redline, and know of many others who have run 15/16 to redline using this trick.
isnt this the shimming the wastegate trick???

and how would you know how many washer to put on at the level of boost?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Twin_turbo_mk3 said:
isnt this the shimming the wastegate trick???

and how would you know how many washer to put on at the level of boost?
yes it is, and you just put some on and drive the bitch, see where it's at. not a very good way to keep boost at a set level at temperature etc. will affect it. i'm currently running about 8 washers on each side (half inch or so thick total) and it's running at 16 psi. pulls really hard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts