Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well after all the perserverance of restoring a 176000 engine after sitting for 4 years another problem has arisen, i hadnt driven it in 2 weeks and i pulled her outta the driveway to put on the new wheels and while it was running it ( PROBLEM NUMBER 1 ) went from 700 rpm to stall, and died, i cranked it back over and good to go but i had to feather the gas to keep it running, letting it go at all makes it stall, now problem number 2, the battery wont charge, so i replaced my terminals and it still wont take a decent charge after running for 15-20 minutes, so what do u think? alternator????????? so #1 why am i stalling when i let off the gas (i hold it at less than 1000 rpm) ??? my ideas were clogged fuel filter, which i have but didnt replace, and havent replaced at all since i owned it, so it must be like 5 years old... after i change the fuel filter what can it be??? IF and i say IF its still stalling, and yes i do have the clutch in, lol, im not a bad noob... lol, so let me get some feedback on what u think is wrong with my charging system before i bring it to a mechanic tomorrow and pay 75 bucks to have them say " oh yea it was ur alternator, thatll be another 200, but whats a sure fire test to make sure my alternator is operational and charging... thanks, lata

 

·
The Radiator Man
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
faulty wiring on your igniter?
I had a similar problem, but it was because my friend/former owner had wired an external rpm tact through it, and the wiring was all shitty and loose.
Did you check to see if you had any engine codes?
 

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
Joined
·
12,275 Posts
Well here's a stupid question, does the battery hold a charge? Other then that yea probably alt, especially if it kills the battery.

As for dieing, it's probably due to the fact that the ECU is still trying to learn if the battery keeps dieing.

Other then that check for vac leaks. If you have a boost gauge, check for -20 on vac, that should be about normal if not you have to hunt them down.

Also could check the ISC, if it's bad it could give some idle problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
Fix the alternator first, it will most likely fix the other problem too. Cars with a bad alt and dead battery will not run... heck you need power just to get fuel into the cylinders and power to read out the afm... So no power, no running engine ;)
 

·
i <3 supra
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
C44 said:
Fix the alternator first, it will most likely fix the other problem too. Cars with a bad alt and dead battery will not run... heck you need power just to get fuel into the cylinders and power to read out the afm... So no power, no running engine ;)
werd! :)
 

·
Sexy Bitch
Joined
·
392 Posts
C44 said:
Fix the alternator first, it will most likely fix the other problem too. Cars with a bad alt and dead battery will not run... heck you need power just to get fuel into the cylinders and power to read out the afm... So no power, no running engine ;)
What he said, then go drive the car 100 miles or so to let the ECU relearn...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i fixed 1 problem and that was stalling, i adjusted my idle and it now purrs, so i took it around the block once after running for 10 minutes, and turned it off when i got back, and the damn thing didnt start again... so .... now A NEW PROBLEM, I DIDNT MAKE ANY BOOST AT 4000 RPM IN 2nd GEAR !!!!!!!! IS THIS A HOSE LEAK OR WHAT??? well im depresed officially... so i have a new check light on, all the way on the left, the one that looks like an intercooler or half a radiator ... a NOOB question but honestly tell me wat i have to pour money into now... thanks lata
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,727 Posts
your bird flew away. its the birdcage......:lol:
but seriously its just a light saying your radiator overflow bottle is low so just fill it up and it will go away. but then you have to think....why did my overflow bottle go empty...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
My light come on when i corner hard but the level is just fine and noting is wrong the fluid just moves around the bottle.
Most Auto store's like Auto Zone or Advance Auto will test the battery and alternator for free, you can eather bring the car or just pull the parts and bring them in for a test.
 

·
The Radiator Man
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
-scarface2jz- said:
well i fixed 1 problem and that was stalling, i adjusted my idle and it now purrs, so i took it around the block once after running for 10 minutes, and turned it off when i got back, and the damn thing didnt start again... so .... now A NEW PROBLEM, I DIDNT MAKE ANY BOOST AT 4000 RPM IN 2nd GEAR !!!!!!!! IS THIS A HOSE LEAK OR WHAT??? well im depresed officially... so i have a new check light on, all the way on the left, the one that looks like an intercooler or half a radiator ... a NOOB question but honestly tell me wat i have to pour money into now... thanks lata
the check light is that your overflow for your coolant is low, try replacing/checking your thermostat, I just replaced mine because I was having that problem, also try burping your radiator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
ahem....

it sat for a while, the coolant will evaporate or leak, fill it

the battery is more than likely shot if it won't hold a charge, and if the battery is bad, it WILL die, trust me, I know from personal experience. The battery would be the first thing to be swapped and tested, as the only think that would go out after sitting for 2 weeks is that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Poodles said:
ahem....

it sat for a while, the coolant will evaporate or leak, fill it

the battery is more than likely shot if it won't hold a charge, and if the battery is bad, it WILL die, trust me, I know from personal experience. The battery would be the first thing to be swapped and tested, as the only think that would go out after sitting for 2 weeks is that...
u dont know the whole story, im 1/2 way through restoration, its got coolant, new battery, and as of 15 mintutes ago, new alternator, and she PURRS !!!!!!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top