Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(This is a 7M-GTE 5 speed manual, single turbo)
Okay, I got my really weird running rich issue fixed, I got my turbo MBC issue fixed, it ran, it drove, and now we have yet ANOTHER issue. Dear lord help me just get this car road ready.

I finished my 150 mile turbo break in process and decided to get on it a little.
FIVE POUNDS of boost, I shift up and boom another issue.
It smells like something burnt, and all of a sudden I’m leaning out.
-Car leans out and shudders but not building any boost.
-Dumping oil out the FRONT of the air filter, cool that’s weird
-unhooked the battery for a minute, gave it new gas, to no avail
-runs and drives... I guess, but too much throttle and it leans out real quick, starts bucking like a pissed off horse.
Guys/Gals I’m at a loss, just one thing after another.

·
Registered
634 Posts
blew a hose off the intake somewhere / had a rubber intake hose crack and separate

the entire intake system from the air filter (air flow meter) to the throttle body has to be sealed. if there is a gigantic leak it could cause the symptoms. combine that with the "I got on it and boom". sometimes when a hose separates it pukes oil on the exhaust (vs spraying that oil into the engine and burning it)

good luck and hang in there man you will figure it out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blew a hose off the intake somewhere / had a rubber intake hose crack and separate

the entire intake system from the air filter (air flow meter) to the throttle body has to be sealed. if there is a gigantic leak it could cause the symptoms. combine that with the "I got on it and boom". sometimes when a hose separates it pukes oil on the exhaust (vs spraying that oil into the engine and burning it)

good luck and hang in there man you will figure it out
Thanks for the input. Last time we had vacuum leaks it ran RICH, now we’re running super lean.
-it also randomly stalls when slowing down, coming to a coast, turning.
-it’s also weirdly not dumping oil into the exhaust. It’s dumping straight out the front of the cone filter. I believe it’s from the crank vents.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Last time we had vacuum leaks it ran RICH, now we’re running super lean.
-it also randomly stalls when slowing down, coming to a coast, turning.
Sounds like a huge vacuum leak. Check all of your hoses and IC pipes/couplers.

-it’s also weirdly not dumping oil into the exhaust. It’s dumping straight out the front of the cone filter. I believe it’s from the crank vents.
If you're pushing oil out of the crank case vents on the cam covers and into the intake pipe you probably have extremely excessive crankcase pressure. Pull the hose for the crank case vent off the intake pipe and the metal hard line from the cam cover vents and see how much oil you've got there. If it's a lot, it's time for a leak down test. Could be headgasket (which is usually coolant related), piston ring lands (which results in burning oil), or turbo (which also usually results in burning oil).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a huge vacuum leak. Check all of your hoses and IC pipes/couplers.

If you're pushing oil out of the crank case vents on the cam covers and into the intake pipe you probably have extremely excessive crankcase pressure. Pull the hose for the crank case vent off the intake pipe and the metal hard line from the cam cover vents and see how much oil you've got there. If it's a lot, it's time for a leak down test. Could be headgasket (which is usually coolant related), piston ring lands (which results in burning oil), or turbo (which also usually results in burning oil).
Alrighty, so after pulling the car into the shop and getting a chance to actually look it down and figure things out here’s what I’ve got.
You’ll all laugh.
I promise.
That burnt smell I got... yeah it was the wires coming off the exhaust soldering themselves to the turbo :) took them off, soldered the wiring together, let it run for a while and it stopped running lean but it’s idle was still incredibly low, about 400. We unfortunately had to manually adjust the idle to 700 which fixed the stalling issue.
Now for the crank tubing just taking a dump out the intake. We pulled the filter and the MAF. Decided that cleaning the MAF could potentially make problems worse, we put it back together started her up and all of a sudden, it’s running like a top.
I drove it around for about half an hour, everything seemed perfect AFRs looked all sorts of correct, quick adjustments from the ECU kept it from running rich or lean for longer than a second. It was running so nice I decided to give it a few pounds of boost, and it ran fine.
people, this is just my luck with cars and for whatever reason, things just break on their own and apparently fix themselves.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More info, the oil cap is a nice toasty chimney. Puff puff puffing away oil. Ladies and gents, these rings are cashed I think... it’s time to sell it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts