Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automobile magazine says the new BMW 335ci coupe will have a 3.0 liter twinturbocharged inline-6 with 306hp and around 295 lb-ft of torque. Ready to put a single on it?

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
This isn't coming to the US last time I checked

·
Registered
18 Posts
earlier e46 323i's were called 323i's when they had a 2.5 liter. The 335ci and 745i make more sense, because you could say "well it has a 3.0 liter but its boosted to the output of a 3.5 liter so we'll call it the 335ci"

They did it on the 323i becaue the upper model 3 series was a 2.8l and called the 328i so if they sold a 325i and 328i it wouldn't seem like as much of a difference and people wouldn't be as likly to cough up the extra money for the bigger engines...sneaky bastards those germans are.

I've heard of that new TT I6 from BMW, does sound kind of like a 2jz on paper, but I doubt it will have the potential of one in real life.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I don't really care what its called, but I would like to read more about the motor. I searched for the thread mentioned about the motor, but had no luck finding it. Does anyone remember the title? Also, before you can claim it won't live up to the 2J (supra fan boys are so funny) why don't we wait for the motor to come out and see what it can do. BMW has built N/A motors that can take some serious boost with only a headgasket; who knows what it will do when built for F/I....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Stevenh said:
I don't really care what its called, but I would like to read more about the motor. I searched for the thread mentioned about the motor, but had no luck finding it. Does anyone remember the title? Also, before you can claim it won't live up to the 2J (supra fan boys are so funny) why don't we wait for the motor to come out and see what it can do. BMW has built N/A motors that can take some serious boost with only a headgasket; who knows what it will do when built for F/I....
Check out this video (left click): "Klaus Borkmann the Director of BMW Group Powertrain development talks us through the all new inline-6-cylinder gasoline engine with Twin Turbo and High Precision Injection": http://vodcast.bmw.com/stories/1430536/

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Funny because a few years ago I remember the BMW head of engineering (or something like that) swearing up and down that BMW would NEVER EVER use FI in the future because it detracts from the driving experience......

Lucky he was wrong, because this sounds like a cool motor!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Seems to have whats needed for good perf. potential. Time will tell though.

George

·
Champagne Papi
5,694 Posts
Instead of going back so far in History. Just look at the 525i. It has a 3.0L straight 6 from the 330's+ 530i's. And the 530 is the same motor but tuned to produce about 30 more hp.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I seen it in the mag... I cant wait to see it come out, If it makes its way to the US that will be great. Inline 6's are strong to begin with, Factory forced induction yeilds Forged internals... So I think this will def make some power with the bolt-ons.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Should be a nice car when it comes out...however, for the sake of details IIRC it's going to just be called a 335i...no more CI and whatnot to specify coupe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I cant wait to see the price.

A damned nicely optioned 330 coupe was like 48,000 last I went to the dealer. I cant imagine what this is going to cost. Its sad that they are so overpriced, but I guess idiots are willing to pay so they get away with it.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Northof49 said:
Funny because a few years ago I remember the BMW head of engineering (or something like that) swearing up and down that BMW would NEVER EVER use FI in the future because it detracts from the driving experience......

Lucky he was wrong, because this sounds like a cool motor!
It does upset the balance of the torque and power curves in a way, although Toyota hit the nail on the head with addressing this problem, and I'm sure BMW could do it, too. I just hope they never break the RWD tradition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts