Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hey,

Was wondering if any of you have ever owned or had a lengthy experience with a (preferably around 04-05) BMW 325i and/or BMW Z4 and care to share your positive/negative feedback about them. I am just graduating college and am looking for something in the $28-32k price range. I understand they are both completely different cars, sedan vs. roadster, etc. but am looking for key suggestions in the areas of reliability, problems, overall performance, and just about any information I can get outside of a BMW datasheet.

I of course would rather own a Supra than either, but am looking for something that I am not tempted to spend a lot of money on with mods when I get greedy for speed. Something, I guess, practical.

Anyways, I am swaying towards the 325 at the moment. I am nuts for their black on black edition and think it's pretty snazzy. Any ideas?

Richard

·
Registered
190 Posts
Honestly, your asking the wrong people in the wrong forum. Everyone here is addicted to speed, therefor, GET A SUPRA. Don't waste your money on a shitty 3 series, or a slow Z4. If you decide not to get a Supra, then you have so many other options in that price range. The 325 and the Z4 would probably be on the bottom of that list.

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually, I particularly asked in this forum because a lot of the members seem to be pretty well-rounded when it comes to knowing about other cars. I figured I wouldn't get much of a vague reply here. Considered a BMW owner's forum, but I want suggestions by trial and not to start a fiery war between biased 325 and Z4 owners. :)

Anyhow, thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

Clearly your opinion has been stated... care to elaborate why you feel a 325 is shitty so I can at least get SOMETHING out of your post? You're also calling a car in a roadster category, not meant for racing, "slow". Good discovery, I guess.

But your comment has sparked another curiosity: What car, in your opinion, would be a more advantageous buy that rivals a 325 for the same cost, in the same category? Not a challenge, nor trying to antagonize -- just for my own sake.

R

·
greedy capitalist
722 Posts
I'll probably take some heat for this but i am a closet Z4 fan./ I dont know what exactly it is, but I love em. If it was my money, I'd get the Z4.

·
Banned
497 Posts
The Z4 is a Chic car IMO, it that doesn't bother you than by all mean. Only guys I see driving them are homosexuals......not that there's anything wrong with that. :greddy2:

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
My friend has a Z4 and it's not a roadster I'd consider at all. If you want something that can perform decently and is reliable, maybe look at a new body TL? Pretty sweet cars.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I had to talk my friend out of the 2005 325, so here it goes. The 325 has a 2.5L I6 rated at 184hp @ 6000rpms. You're getting 91 cubic feet of passenger room and 11 cubic feet of trunk room in the sedan model. You get 19/26 mpg.

For the same amount of money, you could pick up an Acura TL that has a 3.2L V6 rated at 270hp @ 6200rpms. You'll get 98 cubic feet of passenger room and 13 cubic feet in the trunk. It is a much more spacious cabin. It's rated at 20/29mpg.

If you compare similarly priced vehicles, you will notice this trend throughout nearly every vehicle you compare it to. Bottom line is the 325 is BMW's BASE entry level vehicle. It offers a very poor bang for your buck, to say the least.

If you look at the Z4, same thing goes. You could pick up a Mazda Miata that outperforms it in nearly every department, is 400 lbs lighter, for 10,000 dollars cheaper. You could pick up a 350z grand touring roadster for the price of a Z4 that outperforms it in everyway with an extra 100hp.

Both vehicles offer very little for your money. If you're thinking about it just for the BMW name, then go for it. Honestly, you won't be turning any heads in BMW's base model sedan... and Z3/Z4 roadsters are a dime a dozen...

Hope this will sway your opinion. The new Mercedes SLK on the other hand... pure sexy...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd be looking at the IS 350 instead of the 325 (even though it's probably a few grand more) and maybe an S2000 instead of the Z4.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Scott94TT said:
I'd be looking at the IS 350 instead of the 325 (even though it's probably a few grand more) and maybe an S2000 instead of the Z4.
European entry-level cars are overpriced. 184hp I6 = :freak:

Honestly, pretty much everything else out there will get you more performance, room, mpg, and features for your money. The Japanese have the $25-35k market dominated.

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm assuming the Acuras have the same reliability as Hondas do. I'll check out the TL. And the IS350. I've actually looked at both 250 and 350 models (AWD/less power, RWD/more power, respectively (to my knowledge, not sure)) and wasn't sure which one I might be more interested in. The feedback I've gotten here is so much different from a lot of other people - I hadn't gotten anything but WOW's in favor of 325's and how amazing they are until I read the re:'s here. =)

Thanks for the help, keep posting if you have anything else that may help.

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The TSX looks pretty nice and lays low at $27k start. 205hp from a 4cyl., has an impressive GPS / bluetooth / etc. interior as well.

For some reason though... gah.... can't seem to shake the looks and styling of the 325. And the wicked top end, from what I hear.

Also, I found out a week or two ago that the NEW 3-series is equipped with twin-turbo, AWD, 300hp. Looks pretty slick on the website. o_O

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
out of those two - easy Z4. I love the original Bangle's.

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
2JZGTE4LIFE said:
The TSX looks pretty nice and lays low at $27k start. 205hp from a 4cyl., has an impressive GPS / bluetooth / etc. interior as well.

For some reason though... gah.... can't seem to shake the looks and styling of the 325. And the wicked top end, from what I hear.

Also, I found out a week or two ago that the NEW 3-series is equipped with twin-turbo, AWD, 300hp. Looks pretty slick on the website. o_O
Wicked top end? It makes 184hp. You could pick up a new V6 Camry for the same price and run 99mph trap speeds, be more reliable, and get better gas mileage

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bean said:
Wicked top end? It makes 184hp. You could pick up a new V6 Camry for the same price and run 99mph trap speeds, be more reliable, and get better gas mileage
Yeah. Top end.

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, it's not too shabby. I've ridden in quite a few of them and have blasted down highways pretty well. But then again, "fast" is a relative word, right?

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
2JZGTE4LIFE said:
Actually, it's not too shabby. I've ridden in quite a few of them and have blasted down highways pretty well. But then again, "fast" is a relative word, right?
You're right, everything is relative. So what are you comparing the 325i to that is making it 'relatively fast'? Are you comparing it to a 130hp Toyota Corolla or are you comparing it to vehicles in its price/class? Very curious, what is it that is making you pick a 325i over other vehicles? Is it because of the features/performance/value that the vehicle has or is your decision based more upon the styling/branding of the vehicle?

My friend went Bimmer crazy a few months back as well. Totally threw logic out the door (she's an engineer for Cisco), and had to have one. We were literally at the dealership finishing up the contract ($38k 325i w/sports package) when she snapped out of it. Boy, was the dealer pissed off at me. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts