Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PGS has been making gearsets both syncro and dog box for rally teams overseas, now for those of us that are making big power and have even killed so called built Marlin crawler and jacks transmissions with upgraded parts have an answer for keeping the r154 vs custom fitting cd009,th400,or other popular boxes. the mk3 owners will find use in this due to diff ratios needed for v160 and the asso. costs of swapping. as for mk4 owner may not see the need with v160 being factory option.

The dogset gearboxes are $4900, plus $650 labor. The standard gear box is $3900 plus $650 labor, and will have a group buy option, with $200 off with 5 committed orders, $400 off with 10 committed orders. If we have the same commitment to the dogbox gearset, the same discount levels apply.

as for an official gb on the sets i am not this person but i will be getting a transmisson with these gears once the offical GB is started.

https://www.speedforsale.com/suprap...ransmissions-toyota-r154-gearsets-p-3930.html

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
A+ for effort but at $5550 for a dog box your well into v160 range

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Well, how much is a V160 + clutch + rear end mod?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Same price (if you're swapping into an auto). You still need to get a clutch, rear end mod, driveshaft, etc.

This makes sense for an mk3 (As mentioned above). Still not sure where that price is coming from. MC full rebuild kits were like $1100

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
MC full rebuild kits weren't holding the power made these days.

Plus, shifting the R154 over 8,000rpm is a CHORE.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
They hold 850tq fine. Not sure how much higher people are trying to go.

It's no v160- but has this doggear kit even been tested extensively "real world" like the r154/v160/t400 have?

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
That's weird. A few users are breaking 3rd gear over 700rwtq.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
i swapped in a built r154 in my 94 tt because i knew to myself i wont exceed more then 600hp or what ever pump gas can take me..but anything above i would just go with a v160

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
THIS^^^ don't forget the driveshaft, Oh one more thing, The counter shaft for V160 have been discontinued by toyota..
Atleast someone made something for the R154.. Good luck rebuilding your GETRAGS.. GETRAG owner here.. in a MKIII..

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
THIS^^^ don't forget the driveshaft, Oh one more thing, The counter shaft for V160 have been discontinued by toyota..
Atleast someone made something for the R154.. Good luck rebuilding your GETRAGS.. GETRAG owner here.. in a MKIII..
Toyota has also discontinued the r154 counter shaft and any replacement gears for the R154 so whats your point?

Just slightly more expensive than a twin plate clutch for a r154 + $5550 dog box + one piece drive shaft+ built rear end..

Yup.. 3rd gear is the weakest..
Correct! sucks doing high hp pulls first, second, fourth.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
With the MC gearsets and internals?

MC internals, such as a retainer plate, 1-2 shift fork, and thrust washers?

I'm not familiar with any other gearsets or internals, from MC.

So far, nobody really offers anything but PGS. Some of the transmissions they have done in the past, are well worth it. $7K for a professional transmission isn't for everyone, but depending on how serious you are, it's really the best upgrade. Sure, some people will just swap over a TH400, or do a built auto, or go V160... All are not really cheap. It just depends on the power you're making, and how you want to use it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
MC internals, such as a retainer plate, 1-2 shift fork, and thrust washers?

I'm not familiar with any other gearsets or internals, from MC.

So far, nobody really offers anything but PGS. Some of the transmissions they have done in the past, are well worth it. $7K for a professional transmission isn't for everyone, but depending on how serious you are, it's really the best upgrade. Sure, some people will just swap over a TH400, or do a built auto, or go V160... All are not really cheap. It just depends on the power you're making, and how you want to use it.
Agree.

·
Registered
165 Posts
PAR and PPG make gearsets, but they are more expensive than these. The PAR gears start at 2.62 which would make for sad drag racers. PPG is 12k...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for big power mk3 owners this would be a bolt in option

mk4 owners and sc owners would just go to v160, unless you have a 7m in a mk4

In which case lemme get my pop corn because i wanna watch the world burn too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If someone had a MK4 shell, I'd do it in a heartbeat. My old 7M was more reliable than some of the JZ's in the area at the same power level. No engine is perfect. Only downside would be I'd have to grab one of the nice gearsets or go auto.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts