Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Buy a cx racing (ebay) unit or something similar. I have ran cx racing for a while now on 4 different cars and have never had an issue. I will continue to buy them. I did have an issue with a high end brand name radiator (wont give names) which got replaced by a cx racing and all issues went away. I would not be scared, I have used these radiators paired with contour fans and have never had a cooling issue, even on 550+hp cars.

EDIT: let me add the fitment can be a bit off on the ebay aka cx racing radiators. I have had 2 where i didn't have to modify (bend) the brackets at all, and have had the rest where I have had to modify (bend and mangle) the brackets to get them to fit. Usually a quick easy install besides that.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've been running a Mishimoto for several years. It did just fine when I lived in FL and is actually somewhat overkill for MI now that I live up here. They redesigned it for better fitment at the request of the A70 community as well so it should be plug and play now.

Koyo also makes a good product and makes a stock style and a high performance model. The stock style can be had for less than $200 and the performance one is just a little more pricey than the Mishimoto.

Living in MI I would save my $$$ and just go with a stock style myself unless you plan on track days where the extra capacity is needed.

And welcome to the board. Don't forget to check out the Midwest section for the MI thread and if you're on FB look up the Michigan Supra's group.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Too bad the PWR radiator doesn't exist anymore. Holy crap that thing would cool a tank. Thickest and biggest you could buy and still fit the stock fan, shroud, etc. Fluidyne, Koyo, Mishi, CX, etc are all good. Don't go that ebay crap route. You would be better off buying a replacement from an auto parts store.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Buy the mishimoto. Great quality. Not super expensive and significantly larger than the stock unit. It gets super hot here during the summer time in ny. 100+ degrees this summer for a few weeks and keeps the engine very cool. No complaints.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the replies. I seem to have a crack in the bottom plastic part of my stock radiator. Could I just use to high temp epoxy or something similar to seal it?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've never heard true success stories of repairing any plastic end caps. Replacing the cap would be the only way to fix it, but it's not cost effective, usually.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I used military grade epoxy and it worked out fine. I find it that all other epoxys do not work at all when it comes to the rad. Make sure you buy the underwater military grade one from Home Depot. It comes in a long tube that's about 8 inches long. There's no mixing required. All you have to do is cut it with a knife and mix it together with your fingers. Worked for me until I just wanted an aluminum rad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I unbolted the radiator and fan assembly and did a pressure test in the system. At around 10psi it starts to leak but not from the radiator or plastic bottom cap. It seems that it's coming from closer to the front of the car. Excuse my ignorance and noob questions but I'm not sure where it's leaking from.

It's Dripping from the metal part in front of the radiator. I thought it was leaking from the front bottom part of the radiator but it wasn't.
I

Thanks and sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont know of any coolant lines off the top of my head that run in front of the radiator. If I was to guess it looks like your overflow tank spit all over the intercooler.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just tested it again and it's spurting from the radiator itself back on to the metal. Any way to fix the actual fins/tube of the radiator?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=CO&P=10
There, you can see there's an o-ring between the tank, and the core.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1603&P=3
here, you can see the breakdown of the individual parts, (and clicking the numbers gives the exact part number, and msrp).

Honestly, to do it right will cost you more in your own labor than picking up a used, good radiator from ebay.

Might be best to take it to a radiator shop near you, and see if they can fix it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
OH GOD. Please get a new radiator soon. Last thing you want is to be doing 70mph down the road and have that shit let loose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts