Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow we are going to put a new rear main seal in the car for the third time while trying to get this car put back together! It's getting old pulling the tranny out but the seal keeps leaking. This time, it looks like the seal was pushed out somehow. The first two seals weren't from Toyota so tomorrow we are getting the seal from Toyota. Here are the possibilities we see for why this is happening:

1. the first two non-Toyota seals were POS and the Toyota one will work like a charm.

2. the machine shop messed up the crankshaft when they balanced the motor.

3. the compression is somehow too high and pushing the seal out - but why?

Any other idea for why this keeps happening?

It's really sucking.:(

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so maybe if a girl :cry: someone will take pity on her and help?

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good question! Didn't really look for it being high. Can't check the oil pressure until we get the seal back in and start her up. Tranny's already out. I think I was mostly wanting to vent if you know what I mean - so thanks for listening. :)

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
What did you use to put the seal in? I had a heck of a time getting my toyota seal all the way in since Toyota uses some "special service tool"

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Let me see if I can narrow down your possibilities here....

1. I've used non toyota seals from many different part stores without any problems MULTIPLE times in the 20+ different motors i've rebuilt without any problems.

2. If the machine shop had messed up on the ballancing of the crank the seal would STILL not pop out. The part that keeps the seal in is the small back plate that mounts on the back of the block with i believe five 12mm bolts. The seal is suppose to fit SNUG and TIGHT in that plate, so unless you've been giving the wrong seal for the wrong car I think its a pretty safe bet cancel that possibility out. Essentiall the machine shop couldnt have done this if you guys installed the seal.

3. The whole compression theory....not working either. When the compression is high, that essentially means that the motor is strong and the pistons and the rings are doing their job, thus not letting the burnt gasses passed the rings. A high compression motor is a GOOD compression motor. BUT!!!! you COULD have a LOW compression motor meaning that the rings are worn, in which case the compression is leaking thru the rings. If that were the case, the car would perform like ass, you'd be smoking a bit if not alot and the most obvious one....you'd be leaking oil out of your pcv valves.

Hope that helps a bit....either way I would think that if your seals have gone bad three times, someome is either giving you the wrong seals or they're just not being installed right.

Kruso

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
there are really 2 possibilities:

1. you are tearing the seal as you put it in each time. be sure to lube up the crank and the housing as you insert it.

2. your PCV sys is clogged/blocked and that's causing pressure to build up in the crankcase and push the seal out. check your whole PCV sys.

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ma71supraturbo said:
What did you use to put the seal in? I had a heck of a time getting my toyota seal all the way in since Toyota uses some "special service tool"
Well we are kinda pounding on it to get it in after lubing it up really well. Don't have the SST.

THANKS everyone for the suggestions!

·
Registered
535 Posts
SilkE said:
Well we are kinda pounding on it to get it in after lubing it up really well. Don't have the SST.

THANKS everyone for the suggestions!
JFYI...PVC caps work great for pounding in seals evenly.

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Supraman88 said:
JFYI...PVC caps work great for pounding in seals evenly.
Hey Thanks! That's just in time 'cause the Toyota seal will be in tomorrow and ready to go in. Third time will be a charm I'm thinking (or else I'm going to blow the lousy NA car up! )

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,171 Posts
Inspect the rear main seal housing. They can crack especially when you are puttin in the oil pan bolts, the silicone to seal the pan enters the threaded hole when the housing is installed, then when the oil pan bolt is tightened the trapped silicone can actually break right through to the area where the seal contacts the housing. I noticed my housing was like this so I got one off DR J.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
drjonez said:
there are really 2 possibilities:

1. you are tearing the seal as you put it in each time. be sure to lube up the crank and the housing as you insert it.

2. your PCV sys is clogged/blocked and that's causing pressure to build up in the crankcase and push the seal out. check your whole PCV sys.
My first thought was the PCV system as well. Check the vent on the driver's side of your block - if its capped then you just found your problem. If it consistantly leaks because the crank is scored with a gouge from the previous seals, look into getting a repair sleeve that you can pound on the end from a machine shop.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
If you're pounding on the seal, you can damage it quite easily. If you don't have the SST, use a rubber mallet and tap it in going around the seal with even hits. Also lube it up with vaseline or oil and be careful not to pop out the spring that makes the seal taught. If you do that, then you'll need to pull it out and redo it.

- Hams.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts