Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to replace the rotores and pads. i wanted to know what would be the best way to go. a big brake kit is a little to much right now. also i just moved in with my parents for the summer. i came home from college but are there any other supras in battle creek, mi

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
another vote for stock rotors and pads unless you track the car, then upgrade the pads.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
What is it that is better than stock? I'm asking in terms of stopping power. I have yet to see any hard proof that after market pads and rotors out perform the stockers.

Fried_rice said:
I got brembo stock size crossed drilled and hawk hps. Better then stock but cheaper.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
another vote for stock rotors and pads unless you track the car, then upgrade the pads.
ditto on the stock set up and all

·
Noise ≠ Power...
638 Posts
ramrodsupra said:
You can go power stop,with hawks pad.
Power STOP or Power SLOT? I have the latter, cryo-treated and slotted to be exact- wouldn't trade 'em for the world! Oh, and yes- the Hawk HPS street brake pads are an excellent pad to swap to if you're lookin to improve the grip a good bit! You should also think about switching to stainless steel brake lines while you're at it! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
571 Posts
stock rotors with hawk hps pads and goodridge break lines work well. did this mod over the winter and got better break feel overall with improved stopping power. it's not a huge difference, but enough to make you a little more confident when standing on the breaks from high speed. i'll eventually go with a big brake kit as they are superior, but this is a definite good bang for the buck idea especially when you get the rotors at cost. :)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR said:
What is it that is better than stock? I'm asking in terms of stopping power. I have yet to see any hard proof that after market pads and rotors out perform the stockers.

Not to say you can't step up to a serious brake package that could outperform stock in most categories, but to me it looks like 90% or more "upgraded" brake systems are more for looks than performance improvement. IMO upgraded rotors and pads should focus on maintaining braking performance longer during hard usage, like with multiple hard stops on a track over a short period of time shooting for less fade, less rotor overheating, etc. (Dukkie, don't forget ducts quack quack ;) )

·
966 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR said:
I say stock rotors and stock pads.
Agreed, the stockers dust like a mother, but I deal with it. QUACK!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
further. if you plan on tracking your car at all keep a used set of rotors in usable condition in combination with hawk blue pads. great setup. your rotors will get chewed up pretty badly hence the track rotors and street rotors. this is assuming you don't mind swapping rorots and pads for track day. my 2 cents.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
if you are racing to 200 mph, you NEED some sort of drilled/slotted/dimpled rotors to eliminate brake fade, that can be scary at speeds that high. what happens is when your brakes overheat they make a gas and the gas gets trapped between the rotor and pad which causes a hydroplaning of the 2 surfaces called brake fade. to eliminate this you need vents, i.e. drilled holes, slots, or dimples. dimpled slotted are much stronger than cross-drilled but then again, the cross drilled allow a lot more air flow so they cool off much faster.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
when I start hitting over 170 on the road courses, I'll reconsider. til then the stock rotors and my Carbotech pads work great on the track and street too.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
ChizWizz47 said:
Power STOP or Power SLOT? I have the latter, cryo-treated and slotted to be exact- wouldn't trade 'em for the world! Oh, and yes- the Hawk HPS street brake pads are an excellent pad to swap to if you're lookin to improve the grip a good bit! You should also think about switching to stainless steel brake lines while you're at it! :bigthumb:
Power slot.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
if you are racing to 200 mph, you NEED some sort of drilled/slotted/dimpled rotors to eliminate brake fade, that can be scary at speeds that high. what happens is when your brakes overheat they make a gas and the gas gets trapped between the rotor and pad which causes a hydroplaning of the 2 surfaces called brake fade. to eliminate this you need vents, i.e. drilled holes, slots, or dimples. dimpled slotted are much stronger than cross-drilled but then again, the cross drilled allow a lot more air flow so they cool off much faster.
nah - no one needs slotted or drilled rotors. Only buy those for looks.
Bigger rotors and better pads are worthwhile, but it's pretty hard to beat stock rotors for most applications.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts