Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is in the shop right now with a blown piston. I can either rebuild it with some JE pistons + stock rods or I can just go with a new short block. Which would you guys recommend? It will cost about the same either way. Will the new short block be more reliable? This is my daily driver so I plan on running pump gas 99.9% of the time putting out about 550rwhp with the HKS T04R turbo. Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 MSB T04R auto
'99 Eclipse GSX (for sale)

·
4,417 Posts
Personally I went with the new short-block. I am like you and run pump gas 99.9% of the time. I didn't know there was another singled Supra around... we should get together sometime.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jim. Yeah, I think I'm going to go with a new short block. What kind of power are you making and what kind of boost to you run on the street? Well, technically, there isn't another single'd supra around... yet. I just bought this car and it is being worked on up at Altered Atmosphere in Maryland. If all goes well, I'll have the car in about 3 weeks. We should definitely have a little NC Supra meet sometime. Are you going to be in Greenville this weekend? I am going there on Sat to visit the folks. Talk to you later.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 MSB Supra

·
4,417 Posts
When I dyno'd it this past summer I made 500.3 RWHP @ 18 psi in 95 degree heat and high humidity. That's what I run on pump gas daily.

When I am in Cary I fill up with 100 Octane and run 20-21 psi. It made 537 @ 20 psi on the dyno.

I am planning on heading back to the dyno eventually and check it out at 26 psi...

I've heard good things about AA...

I won't be in G-ville this weekend. I am here on weekdays and in Raleigh on weekends. When you get your car we'l have to get together.

your T04R should make some big numbers! I can't wait to check it out. What color is it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is MSB or Anthracite. Wow, I didn't know you can get 100 octane in Cary. Where might this be and how much is it? Yeah, I am looking for some decent numbers from the T04R on pump gas. The previous owner claimed to get 590rwhp at 18psi! I am swapping out the .96 AR housing for a .84 one, so I will lose some top end, but the lag will improve. This car is an auto so I don't want too much lag. I still want a ride in your car sometime! I'll let you know when I finally get the car working. Later.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 Anthracite T04R
'99 Eclipse GSX

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
I know the car you just bought, did you get a good deal? It had a lot of stuff, wheels, suspension, etc.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents, you can always MIX the race fuel and 92 octane pump gas, that's what I do. I run ~40% 100 octane and ~60% 92 octane and I have run 30+ PSI (780+ RWHP with the HKS twins). I run ~27 PSI all the time like this.

Weiyan8 said:
The car is MSB or Anthracite. Wow, I didn't know you can get 100 octane in Cary. Where might this be and how much is it? Yeah, I am looking for some decent numbers from the T04R on pump gas. The previous owner claimed to get 590rwhp at 18psi! I am swapping out the .96 AR housing for a .84 one, so I will lose some top end, but the lag will improve. This car is an auto so I don't want too much lag. I still want a ride in your car sometime! I'll let you know when I finally get the car working. Later.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 Anthracite T04R
'99 Eclipse GSX

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
If you want a good, cheap fix, I have a shortblock with a spun rod bearing for sale. Pistons & block look great. Just mix & match the good parts, rehone, re-ring, machine and you're good to go.

-Mike

Weiyan8 said:
My car is in the shop right now with a blown piston. I can either rebuild it with some JE pistons + stock rods or I can just go with a new short block. Which would you guys recommend? It will cost about the same either way. Will the new short block be more reliable? This is my daily driver so I plan on running pump gas 99.9% of the time putting out about 550rwhp with the HKS T04R turbo. Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 MSB T04R auto

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V8THIS, how much are you asking for your block? I think I am going to go with a new short block. That way I can have a brand new motor to play with... it's like buying a new car. :)

T66Dawg, you know this car that I bought? Have you actually driven it? Well, the only suspension mod is springs right now. So what would you say was a good deal for this car? I think I got an OK deal. It did have alot of stuff on it and only ~31K miles. Oh, and congrats on the numbers you pulled... very impressive. I almost bought that car from Lue, too. Oh, and I didn't get Ryan's car, he was asking too much. Is he still trying to sell it?

Well, thanks for the replies guys.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 MSB Supra
'99 Eclipse GSX

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Never driven that car, just know the car (Greg's car) and it had a lot of mods.

Ryan's car is nice, worth the $$$$$, but you probabaly got a great deal on the car you bought too.

Thanks for the compliment:)

Weiyan8 said:
V8THIS, how much are you asking for your block? I think I am going to go with a new short block. That way I can have a brand new motor to play with... it's like buying a new car. :)

T66Dawg, you know this car that I bought? Have you actually driven it? Well, the only suspension mod is springs right now. So what would you say was a good deal for this car? I think I got an OK deal. It did have alot of stuff on it and only ~31K miles. Oh, and congrats on the numbers you pulled... very impressive. I almost bought that car from Lue, too. Oh, and I didn't get Ryan's car, he was asking too much. Is he still trying to sell it?

Well, thanks for the replies guys.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 MSB Supra
'99 Eclipse GSX

·
4,417 Posts
Weiyan8 said:

Wei Yan Chan
'94 Anthracite T04R
'99 Eclipse GSX
Wei,

Go to "Handy Hugo's" on Kildare Farm Rd. It's right next to Caribou Cofee. The middle pump (closest to the building) has 100 octane racing fuel. It's $3.39/gal (I think). I run it every now and then just to play!

Just let me know when you want to get together...

Good luck with your car. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

M

·
0 Posts
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here...Congratulations on the car :D I think you got a GREAT deal, the only thing I would be concerned with after you get it running is the Level 10 tranny. Unless that was removed.

Once again, congratulations....

Good luck with it.

Melvin

M

·
0 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
When I dyno'd it this past summer I made 500.3 RWHP @ 18 psi in 95 degree heat and high humidity. That's what I run on pump gas daily.

When I am in Cary I fill up with 100 Octane and run 20-21 psi. It made 537 @ 20 psi on the dyno.

I am planning on heading back to the dyno eventually and check it out at 26 psi...

I've heard good things about AA...

I won't be in G-ville this weekend. I am here on weekdays and in Raleigh on weekends. When you get your car we'l have to get together.

your T04R should make some big numbers! I can't wait to check it out. What color is it?
Hey Jim, I just noticed PHR has a picture of your car on their website and it's listed as a 580 rwhp built car. Just curious, did they dyno it before they gave it back to you or is Jarrett being optimistic? If they did dyno it I wonder what boost they made 580 at.

I'm finishing up my PHR stage 2 this weekend :D.

Melvin

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim, cool, I'll prolly head over to "Handy Hugo's" sometime and get some good gas for the Eclipse... then turn up the boost a little... woo hoo. Turbo cars feel soooooo much better in the cooler weather it's not even funny. Hey, maybe we can get together next weekend. We can race the GSX vs. Supra. ;) I'll be going to G-Vegas this weekend, but should be in town next weekend. Where do you usually hang out in Raleigh? I heard Capital Blvd is the main strip for car guys?

Mello2. Don't mind at all, jump right in.:cool: Do you know this car? What do you think about the Level 10 tranny? I've heard some good but alot of bad things about them. I'm just going to drive it till the tranny goes I guess and then get the SP tranny. That's what I really want. Hopefully I get lucky and get a 'good' Level 10 tranny... Greg certainly paid enough for it.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 MSB Supra
'99 Eclipse GSX ~ Big16G, FMIC, etc...

M

·
0 Posts
Weiyan8 said:
Jim, cool, I'll prolly head over to "Handy Hugo's" sometime and get some good gas for the Eclipse... then turn up the boost a little... woo hoo. Turbo cars feel soooooo much better in the cooler weather it's not even funny. Hey, maybe we can get together next weekend. We can race the GSX vs. Supra. ;) I'll be going to G-Vegas this weekend, but should be in town next weekend. Where do you usually hang out in Raleigh? I heard Capital Blvd is the main strip for car guys?

Mello2. Don't mind at all, jump right in.:cool: Do you know this car? What do you think about the Level 10 tranny? I've heard some good but alot of bad things about them. I'm just going to drive it till the tranny goes I guess and then get the SP tranny. That's what I really want. Hopefully I get lucky and get a 'good' Level 10 tranny... Greg certainly paid enough for it.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 MSB Supra
'99 Eclipse GSX ~ Big16G, FMIC, etc...
No, I don't know the car or Greg, I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times, he lives not far from where I live. I know what he was asking for it, and at that price, the parts alone would have gotten him that. Then just Wednesday of this week I was in a local speed shop and someone that supposedly know's Greg told me he actually sold the car for less than he was asking initially. I did call Greg when I first heard about the engine, then when I heard he was selling the car I called him about the wheels. I didn't have enough money for the wheels though. Hopefully you got a good Level 10 tranny, if there is such a thing. Any way you slice it though, you got a good deal :D

Melvin

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kinesis Supercups

Mello2, yeah, I think I got a decent deal on the car. It's just taking too long to repair it. Are you still interested in the wheels? I don't particularly care for them. I can sell them to you if you want them. I'm sure we can work out a decent price for them. I think the rears are 10.5" with 295 tires so they're pretty wide. Let me know if you're still interested. Later.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 MSB Supra
'99 Eclipse GSX

M

·
0 Posts
Re: Kinesis Supercups

Weiyan8 said:
Mello2, yeah, I think I got a decent deal on the car. It's just taking too long to repair it. Are you still interested in the wheels? I don't particularly care for them. I can sell them to you if you want them. I'm sure we can work out a decent price for them. I think the rears are 10.5" with 295 tires so they're pretty wide. Let me know if you're still interested. Later.

Wei Yan Chan
'94 MSB Supra
'99 Eclipse GSX
You've got mail

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Nero. The car is having a new short block put in at Altered Atmosphere. This car is a T04R auto. I am also getting the rev limit raised to 7800rpm with a reprogrammed Gforce ECU and I'm swapping out the .96 housing with a .84 housing. Hopefully, this will help with the lag still have decent top end. The wheels on the car now are the Kinesis Supercups, 18x9 and 18x10.5. They are sold. Later

Wei Yan Chan
'94 Supra
'99 Eclipse GSX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts