Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up..i am looking at another 6 spd mkiv and this one has had a new oem shortblock put in about a year ago from a very reputable supra tuner. It is under warrenty for a little longer. The shortblock was put in becasue the owner was planning to go with a big single and just wanted to have new bottom end...there was nothing really wrong weith the original one but he just wnted to play it safe...one of my questions is that will this make the value of the car go down alot or should i not worry about it..and the job is a very good job that the did on the car..it runs perfect. The other question i have is that there is a little smoke at idle but under bost there is some blue smoke...i know this is the turbo seals going soon or maybe the turboes...i am wondering if the turbo seals are easy and relatively cheap to replace or do the turboes have to be rebuilt totaally??
BTw the car is BPU+ and the plus is adjustable HKS cam gears...
also one more thing.,..the owner said that when he did the new shortblock that he had them install an HKS head gasket..does anyone know what this is or whatt he advantages of it are???

thanx
and yes i did a search and found nothing that could help me

thanx in advance
ant

G

·
I don't think that there's anything bad about having the block replaced with a new one. Just make sure that you keep all the paperwork for warrant purposes.

The turbos (two) if the need to be rebuilt(seals are bad) then you have to totally redo them. You can't just buy seals and throw them in.

You may consider a small single, that can be supported by the stock fuel system, but that again isn't cheap..

·
Registered
970 Posts
If it does happen to be the turbos, and you decide to go with a small single...check out www.boostlogic.com as they have a base kit that is a great price.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well

well the shortblock was a brand new oem one that Bullish racing installed....bullish is a pretty well respected supra tuner in my area....also i just wanna stay on stock twins so this would probably be cheaper to rebuild them to go single..also i can get this car at a pretty low cost for what it is and the miles....the miles are 72k.....and its a 6 spd...i will ask the owner soem more questions but i also think that there shouldnt be any problems since the shortblock is brand new oem....if there was a problem it would have been fixed witht he new block...also does the new short block decrease the value..reason i ask is becasue i can get this car in as it is for 20k maybe a little less....thats why i am am concerend..even witht he money i save i can fix the little problems like the turbos...

anymore suggestions
thanx
ant

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok

ok well noone has anymore suggestions to help me out?/

it would be a big help

thanx
ant

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Re: well

IcedSuPrA said:
well the shortblock was a brand new oem one that Bullish racing installed....bullish is a pretty well respected supra tuner in my area....also i just wanna stay on stock twins so this would probably be cheaper to rebuild them to go single..also i can get this car at a pretty low cost for what it is and the miles....the miles are 72k.....and its a 6 spd...i will ask the owner soem more questions but i also think that there shouldnt be any problems since the shortblock is brand new oem....if there was a problem it would have been fixed witht he new block...also does the new short block decrease the value..reason i ask is becasue i can get this car in as it is for 20k maybe a little less....thats why i am am concerend..even witht he money i save i can fix the little problems like the turbos...

anymore suggestions
thanx
ant
Ant, if Bullish installed it, then your OK...they are not only a reputable supra tuner in our area, they are well known to be one of the top 3 BEST IN THE US with the Supra and the 2JZ motor, arguably....especially Tuning...

If you dont get the car, let me know, I'd be interested in it...

good luck!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanx bro...the only thing now is basically that i am worried about the resale value and basically just the value of the car..does having a new shortblock put in decrease the value of the car alot...
also the guy had bullish install an HKS head gasket...i havent seen many people on here tlak about this..i ddint even know it was a mod until i saw this car...i know that it lowers the compression and i am just guessing but its probbaly stronger themn the stock one..so what does this do for me if i am just going to stay bpu+ with stock twins...or can anyone jjst tell me what this can do for any supra...i cant run higher boost becasue i dont wanna blow the turboes and the copmpression doesnt really need to be lowered becasue many people run alot higher boost then i will be on the stock head gasket....

can anyone explain..thanx

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
Re: Re: well

TsopranoIS300 said:
they are well known to be one of the top 3 BEST IN THE US with the Supra and the 2JZ motor
based on what? big name != reputable, although i do agree they are very reputable i just wonder how people come upw ith "they are definately in the top 3/top 5, etc."

i wouldn't think a new shortblock would decrease the value at all. especially since it's more and more common nowadays.

on the headgasket, like everyone says, it lowers compressoin a bit more which will allow you run a bit more boost safely, but the stock gasket isn't a real problem by any means.

i would suggest going to a small single over swapping to another set of twins, or even having yours rebuilt. they're just going to go out again. i guess unless you were looking to just hold you over until you can afford to do a nice size single and fuel, then it makes a bit more sense for you in that situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts