Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just pulled my engine to have my car re-painted. when i took the head off the block the#6 piston look like it had detioned a few times. there were some nice pellet marks on top and the edge did not look to good. i poured some break cleaner in the cylinded and it disappered pretty quick. this was not something i thought i would see.

the car has a t-88, 272's and fuel. last time i dynoed i layed down around 710rwhp at 28lbs.

basically i was thinking of getting a new short block due to my finanical obligations at the present time. i believe you can pick one up for around $1950. i would like to build the engine and bore it .20 over with je pistons. i would not have enough cash to due rods also. it seems like it will be alot more money and time to build it at this time.

do you guys think i will run into the same problem with a new shortblock? i only plan on running 18lbs for awhile which the car makes around 600rwhp.
this car is killling me. i just had a color change done on the car, new wheels, tranny rebuilt and a new lsd. NOW THIS. IT NEVER STOPS.

thanks for letting me vent. what do you guys think? i guess if i get a new shortblock. i can keep the old one and build it up in the future if i ever have some extra funds.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do you figure.

je pistons and rings $800
engine gasket $250
boring and balancing $700
engine bearings $250

·
Oh I think they like me.
714 Posts
t88 mayhem said:
how do you figure.

je pistons and rings $800
engine gasket $250
boring and balancing $700
engine bearings $250

im talking about the whole motor... springs/retainers, cams , rods, pistons etc plus the cost for labor from the machine shop...

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,220 Posts
Titanium said:
im talking about the whole motor... springs/retainers, cams , rods, pistons etc plus the cost for labor from the machine shop...
The factory shortblocks just need to be "checked", is all. Not particularly tough, you just have to know what to look for...bearing clearances, oil passages , ETC. If sub 800hp is your goal, I would stick with factory components. Those are my goals, the only thing I'm swapping out on my shortblock is the hardware. ARP makes some good rod bolts, main studs and cylinder head studs. Throw a Toyota head gasket on and she'll be good to go. If detonation killed your last engine, take a long hard look at how you are tuned. Detting isn't required unless your trying to put that 710 down on pump gas :D

Ryan
P.S. Since you have the head off anyway, I would change the Valve springs and retainers.

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,220 Posts
kaosv1 said:
Ryan, I take it your not selling now?
Not trying to hijack T88 :) , but..I've taken a deposit on the Supra. A forum member is flying in next Saturday to pick it up. The shortblock I picked up on a deal and I'm going through it making sure the factory didn't overlook anything. In spring we should be debuting a fairly "stock looking" IS300. We just bought the Lexus, an 04', I think it has 800 miles on the odometer :lol: So much for the factory warrantee :p . On the plus side though, we did already receive a sponsorship offer! Depending on their level of commitment/involvement, we'll have to see which direction it goes....I already have some ideas how I want to do this.

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts