Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Rockstar Extraordinaire
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I love supras and all, my other major hobby is playing and writing music. Anyway, My brother who is 20 and I have been writing a bunch of songs lately and recording ourselves in our home studio we built. Its only the 2 of us playing all the instruments, writing and recording. I play all the guitars and he plays the drums, piano and vocals. Here is one song we finished recently and im just looking to get as much feedback as i can. This is our very first song recorded in our studio so dont be to critical!!! Also, expect alot more in the future. We are going to try to network ourselves to get out there so if anyone here knows anybody in the music industry please put in a good word!
The song is on the profile.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=454025909

Kyle

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
429 Posts
My guess would be the Linkin park crowd would like this. I'm not a huge fan of the distortion used (do you mind sharing the instruments/effects/amps?) My suggestion would be to make a bass track that isn't just the root note, so it has a little flavor to it. At 2:25 in I expected a solo and waited but nothing came. There it was 10 seconds later (and it was better than I expected, but the pause ruined it for me). Other than EQing the tracks I think you could probably find a niche for this!

·
Cupcake boss :p
88 Posts
I like it, I love LP though so it's a given :p

I'd rock it on my Ipod at the gym anyday. Any chance you wanna send me the mp3 version :D

anyway I added you guys on myspace and I'm adding your song.

·
Rockstar Extraordinaire
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guitar was a 7 string Ibanez RG series and amplification was a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier through a Mesa 4 by 12 cab. Keep in mind, this is the first song and recording. We are still working on mixing and finding our own sound and style a bit. This is the only song that will be in the Linkin Park category i can promis you that much. We are going to be leaning more twards a melting pot of A7X, Dream Theater and Slipknot, more progresive and abstract in the future.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
It is not bad. I am going to add you on myspace so you can see how popular I am and that I have more friends than everyone on sf except the women*. (*Women with big boobs) Try not to act too surprised.

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
429 Posts
I thought that was a pause in the music, that's what I was referring to when I said "At 2:25 in I expected a solo and waited but nothing came. There it was 10 seconds later..."

My best friend used to have a dual rectifier (That I'd play my 6 string RG through) haha... It's a great amp for getting heavier distortion so I think if you're heading that direction it'll work better. I wasn't trying to be overly critical, just giving you my take on it FWIW. Definitely play around with the EQ, and make sure you're recording with good quality mic's! The Shure SM57's are industry standard.

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
Sounds good man. I need an mp3 to add this to my driving music album.

·
They giggle
1,935 Posts
Production-wise, it sounds like garbage. :faint: The vocals are burried inside the mix, the kick is non-existent, and you have some low-frequencies from the guitar just overpowering everything else. NOW, content-wise, I enjoyed it. :) It was pretty nice for the effort and sounds more pro than amateur. Honest. I mean, it could've sounded worse, you know. But you guys pulled it off and it's enjoyable. It definately needs work, but listening to it without being critical, it's a nice song and I'm sure it would sound bad-ass if somebody with experience would produce you guys. You definately have the talent and the right ideas for making music. You just need to polish your skills and that'll come with time and patience. I dug it. I'm not into rock, but I can appreciate it. :bigthumb:

·
can you not
2,089 Posts
My guess would be the Linkin park crowd would like this.
+1... first thing I thought of. I really like it, but as my boyfriend says...

Production-wise, it sounds like garbage. :faint: The vocals are burried inside the mix, the kick is non-existent, and you have some low-frequencies from the guitar just overpowering everything else. NOW, content-wise, I enjoyed it. :) It was pretty nice for the effort and sounds more pro than amateur. Honest. I mean, it could've sounded worse, you know. But you guys pulled it off and it's enjoyable. It definately needs work, but listening to it without being critical, it's a nice song and I'm sure it would sound bad-ass if somebody with experience would produce you guys. You definately have the talent and the right ideas for making music. You just need to polish your skills and that'll come with time and patience. I dug it. I'm not into rock, but I can appreciate it. :bigthumb:
...and I agree with him :) I do like it though!

Still, nothing can top this:

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=gmSv2p

:lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts