Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought a new Supra after not having it for 7 years. I totally love it. Maybe more now than before.

It is a 93 TT Auto. Super condition. Feels and looks like 30k.
Mods: HKS Dragger Exhaust + Down pipe. HKS Air Filter. Lowered.

My previous Supra was NA, so I never did any mods. Right now I would like to add some power by adding a boost controller. Everything seems pretty easy, but I have few questions:

1. If I turn off (if that's even possible) the boost controller, will I be able to keep my stock boost, and will the car behave just like it is now without the boost controller?
Here I want to be able to use the default settings at least for my wife.

2. What boost controller do you recommend (I want to use a boost controller that works well with my twin turbo)?

3. Is there anything else on top of the boost controller that is required?

As you can see, I know very little about these things, so I would need to help.
Thanks in advance

· Registered
7,569 Posts
Congrats dude, pics?

As for the boost controller, I was in the same boat, I did plenty of research, and I got to many opinions on what worked, and what didnt work. I do know that some boost controllers with "fuzzy logic" react kind of weird with the sequential setup. To save myself the possible headache, I went ahead and used a turbo xs MBC. I then back the knob out to much one day, and I lost it, so I ordered this one:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NXS-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It works great, takes 3 minutes to install, and I couldn't be happier. However I did pick up a HKS EVC 2 to use when I go single. Supposedly, its the best boost controller ever made according to more then a few.

Oh, and you will need a boost gauge, preferablly one that goes in the clock location like this one:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0ff37f0c The color is very close to stock, also be sure to add a BCC (boost cut controller), failure to add one will cause you to hit boost cut, which will probably scare the shit out of you the first few times. Order this one:https://www.speedforsale.com/suprap...p-1345.html?osCsid=1uf6bblo4d1ft2pf0v1mmgnkj3

Besides that, at 18 pounds of boost, expect to pick up another 40whp+, and be sure to get new NGK 4644 plugs, and gap them to .30~ish. The stock gap is .42, or .44, and at 18 psi or so, they will eventually start to miss slightly. At 14 pounds of boost, you will be having a hard time with Camaro SS's, and 18 pounds, you can give Gallardo's and 600cc bikes a good run.

Lastly, I suggest a Lance Alignment. Take a look at the inside of your front wheels, the tire wear with the factory alignment is very tough on tires, and looking at the tires without turning the wheel will not give you a good idea of your tread life.

Cheers

Steve O.

· Registered
2,215 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!
Worth buying an intercooler if you are going to up the boost as well.
@hurra: a supra running 18psi will not run a gallardo???? they would be putting out under 400rwhp???
the older gallardos (04-05) were rated at 495bhp... = 420whp

a strong bpu 6 speed can easily hang.

· Registered
1,363 Posts
i have had this debate in my head about shutting down the power level for the lay ppl to drive my car in case of emergencies. I currently have the ETTC mod with the choices of sequential, TTC, or shutting off second turbo from kicking in completely in any RPM. I am wondering of that third option would be harmful to the turbo. If not, then I would suggest that as an option, as the car won't go above 11-12psi at that setting.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Ive had a greddy profec B Electronic BC in ym car for like 6 yrs now and i love it...so easy to setup and use and its very simple so it works good with the stock twins..Only thing I dont like now is that it is getting old so it looks out dated...i really want to upgrade to a newer unit with a nice readout etc etc but i dont want to have problems..the profec b works amazing and yes when i turn it off the car goes right back to stock boost levels and drives like stock....
I have mine set at stock boost when its off (obviously) and then low boost is set at 14psi and i set high boost at 16 psi.i dont go to 18 on pump cause to me thats pushing it..95% of the time im driving with it off at stock boost...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.