Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Sorry if im resurecting old topics, i need some direction for my problems.

I was driving my 1995 Supra Gte up the cajon pass everything seemed fine, when i get on the boost and hit about 4500+ rpm the car sputters and backfires and wont accelerate anymore.

I have been asking around some say its the spark plug gap, some say fuel system, any good input?

here are the mods if it helps

Fluidyne radiator
MVP upper hardpipe
Fluidyne auto tranny/oil cooler setup
GReddy underdrive pulley set (alt./p.s./w.p.)
Precision 61mm turbo (.68 a/r)
HKS exhaust manifold
HKS 44mm wastegate and dump tube
HKS SSQV (mounted bottom left corner of front bumper)
GReddy 4-row front-mount intercooler
3-inch exhaust piping from turbo back
4" intake pipe and filter for turbo

AEM standalone EMS (tuned by Justin Nenni)
HKS DLI ignition
HKS turbo timer
Defi boost gauge
NGK 6097 spark plugs.

Thanks fellas!

-Jordan

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Anything can cause that issue. If the tune is to rich, the computer isn't pulling timing, not sure if a bad plug would cause that much of a problem. What PSI were you at when the problem happened? That's the thing with buying a car that someone else modified, you don't know what they did or didn't do. I think you best bet might be to take it to Jose, he's very sharp when it comes to our cars. If you can't figure it out, I'm sure he will.

· tastie treats
2,925 Posts
Like said, it might be best if you take it to a shop. Since you're coming from Victorville though I'd suggest FSR. It'd be a lot closer than driving all the way to Orange. Ian there is also very informed with our cars. Anyone I've suggested to go there has come back with nothing but compliments. If you need their information, don't hesitate to PM me.

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, all of the spark plug wires had crappy connections so i replaced all that, im hoping that was the problem, ill let you all know when i get it started later tonight.
I fixed all the oil leaks, Front main seal, crank seal, valve cover gaskets. no more oil leaks =] thank god.

Also who is Jose? Is that the guy from J &J ?? Before i go replacing all my fuel components id like to retune it.

The previous owner lived at sea level and im at 4000 feet lol

· tastie treats
2,925 Posts
LOL, you mean Kaizen. That's a drive from Victorville.

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i figured it out! bad ignition wire conections! Thanks everyone!
New problem!

overheating slightly but i can control it with heater and driving slower

and my idle is very unstable

also the car sometimes stalls when shifting from park to drive or reverse

· Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,847 Posts
so i figured it out! bad ignition wire conections! Thanks everyone!
New problem!

overheating slightly but i can control it with heater and driving slower

and my idle is very unstable

also the car sometimes stalls when shifting from park to drive or reverse
you have a standalone?wow..!!..it seems unnecessary unless your really up their..!!
-but uhm the overheating problem might be due for alot of reasons, check thermostat,(replace it), radiator(how old is it?)and junk floating around?, also are you using your stock fan, or aftermarket?make sure its working if its aftermarket, personally the stock one works best,(stated by alot of members on here) do you know exactly your temp..??..you would know only if your running aftermarket gauges...!!...i think the stock temp is roughly about 170-180degrees, on a stock radiator, with stock fan, ofcourse since your running aluminum it should be alot cooler when your at speed...!!

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the mod list is above, i have a fluidyne radiator with two aftermarket fans, they are on constantly when the car is running. I purged some air out of the system and it seems to help but im still worried. Im new with the aem ems, can i check engine temp through it?

This car is my Daily driver so i want it to be as reliable as possible,

also any ideas on the rough idle???

I'm planning on taking the car to FSR for a bumper to bumper inspection and retune in the next week but in the mean time i want to be on top of these issues

· tastie treats
2,925 Posts
the mod list is above, i have a fluidyne radiator with two aftermarket fans, they are on constantly when the car is running. I purged some air out of the system and it seems to help but im still worried. Im new with the aem ems, can i check engine temp through it?

I'm planning on taking the car to FSR for a bumper to bumper inspection and retune in the next week but in the mean time i want to be on top of these issues
If you're going to drop it off at FSR let Ian know you know Jason. ;)

· Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,847 Posts

Humm i still think your problem is tunning..!!
-your car should idle like crap..!!
-you need to get the AEM tunned, simply because it is able to control your idle...!!
-what are your oil temps, on regular day basis, on traffic, on the frwy, etc...??..if im correct they should not exeed over 200degrees ferenheit on traffic, and on the frwy(depends if your hauling Ass) 180-220...!!
-water temps on the streets should be around 170..!!..hauling ass 180..!!
-frwy water temps, are about 160...depends also if you have some water wetter in your radiator as well...!!
-and these temps are beased on my own car, so dont quote me on these...!!

· tastie treats
2,925 Posts
Iunno man he had it tuned by Justin Nenni. That dude is always ON POINT with his work.

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys well now i have a bigger problem,

i got state reffed last night!

='[

I dont even know where to begine, im going to take it down to patricks in palm desert tomorrow, gotta get stock twins, maf sensor, stock ecu and a bunch of other crap...

· tastie treats
2,925 Posts
Hey guys well now i have a bigger problem,

i got state reffed last night!

='[

I dont even know where to begine, im going to take it down to patricks in palm desert tomorrow, gotta get stock twins, maf sensor, stock ecu and a bunch of other crap...
State Ref isn't that big of a deal. I got that awhile back. I never put it back to stock. Instead, I'm registering outside to Arizona. You should look into that.

· This aggression will not stand, man.
5,300 Posts
State Ref isn't that big of a deal. I got that awhile back. I never put it back to stock. Instead, I'm registering outside to Arizona. You should look into that.
Eeeek, I had my car registered in Montana until that came around and bit me HARD in the ass.

CHP + Montana plates + CA liscense = GTFO

Thankfully he let me go.

· This aggression will not stand, man.
5,300 Posts
Iunno man he had it tuned by Justin Nenni. That dude is always ON POINT with his work.
Different climates/elevations. The car is gonna run totally different in Victorville. It had a gnarly idle problem here in the desert, but it got better when the weather cooled down. Get the AEM tuned by FSR (just a base street map) and that should clear some shit up.

· tastie treats
2,925 Posts
Eeeek, I had my car registered in Montana until that came around and bit me HARD in the ass.

CHP + Montana plates + CA liscense = GTFO

Thankfully he let me go.
Yea that's way unlikely. But Arizona plates with a CA license is. :sadance:

Different climates/elevations. The car is gonna run totally different in Victorville. It had a gnarly idle problem here in the desert, but it got better when the weather cooled down. Get the AEM tuned by FSR (just a base street map) and that should clear some shit up.
Yeah I was thinking that towards the beginning of this thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.