Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time for me to upgrade my stock suspension on my 94 supra. I wanted to get some coilovers? The car is my daily driver as of right now so I wanted to get something with a nice balance for performance and smooth ride. Any suggestions on what I should get and where to buy them at??

· aKa Blk96SupraTT
5,179 Posts
a better question to ask is how much do you want to spend on your suspension. If money is no object then your good to go. If you wanna keep it under $1K then your choices will start to narrow down to a few.

MVPmotorsport and speedforsale are a couple of the forum sponsor. They seem to give the best customer service and damn good prices.

· Banned
2,617 Posts
HKS RS, no doubt.
I've been through 5 setups, and this is the best one yet.

· Banned
2,617 Posts
Bought mine from MVP, worth the lil extra over budget because of how well they perform and ride.

· Original Owner
6,312 Posts
Bought mine from MVP, worth the lil extra over budget because of how well they perform and ride.

what makes them so great?

· Registered
3,131 Posts
what makes them so great?
Because they are black with pretty purple anodized pieces.

Seriously, to your point, it really would be helpful if people who say "this one is great!" would qualify their vague meaningless claims. Based upon my experience in driving several Supras with various aftermarket shock/spring/swaybar combos, 90% of the coilover installations will overall perform worse than a good condition 100% stock suspension. This is often due to the lack of proper setup following the coilover install, but nevertheless this is reality for the majority.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
Good point Boost Junkie.

People tend to make the mistake of assuming that coilovers are a "slap on and forget" kind of mod, whereas the reality is that they need to be "tuned" just like an aftermarket turbo kit would. Time spent getting the coilovers setup properly will make for a much more enjoyable setup...and this is the number one reason why I've been sitting on a brand new set of Megan Racing coilovers for several months, since I want to ensure I get them properly setup for my needs.

The last thing any of us want to do is feel disappointed that our latest expensive mod was a waste of money. Taking the time to get them installed and setup correctly for your vehicle and your tastes can go a long way towards alleviating that feeling. :)

· Registered
174 Posts
I would look into the tein flex coilovers they are roughly 1500.00 but I've seen them for around 1300.00 .

the good thing about them is that the spring rate and ride height are independently adjustable so that you can soften the rear spring rate for the drag strip to get a good launch and stiffen them for the road coarse or the street. with out affecting the ride height. they are just more tuneable.

Steve

· Registered
4,082 Posts
HKS RS, no doubt.
I've been through 5 setups, and this is the best one yet.
I too have had 4 sets of coilovers on my TT Supra's. I am very meticulous when it comes to suspension. So I speak from experience, not just hear say. Although my experience only relates to driving 'spirited' drives on the street.

I have had: Tein HA, Tein SS, Tein Flex and now I have the HKS RS. The HKS are hands down better than any of the three Tein kits in my opinion. The Flex were a good coilover, however the build quality of them is not up to par with the HKS'. All of the Teins began to making noises which pertain to the pillowball mount design so they made more noise in the cabin. The HKS RS are much quieter inside the car. The HKS RS coilovers were R&D on the race track as well as the street for over a year in Japan. They were specifically designed for the US streets which are usually in much worse condition then in Japan. For around $1600 they are the best money in my opinion for a street car. However if you track your car (road race etc) then you would want to get a coilover with a higher spring rates than the RS.

This is just my $.02 from experience.

Chris

· Registered
601 Posts
I too have had 4 sets of coilovers on my TT Supra's. I am very meticulous when it comes to suspension. So I speak from experience, not just hear say. Although my experience only relates to driving 'spirited' drives on the street.

I have had: Tein HA, Tein SS, Tein Flex and now I have the HKS RS. The HKS are hands down better than any of the three Tein kits in my opinion. The Flex were a good coilover, however the build quality of them is not up to par with the HKS'. All of the Teins began to making noises which pertain to the pillowball mount design so they made more noise in the cabin. The HKS RS are much quieter inside the car. The HKS RS coilovers were R&D on the race track as well as the street for over a year in Japan. They were specifically designed for the US streets which are usually in much worse condition then in Japan. For around $1600 they are the best money in my opinion for a street car. However if you track your car (road race etc) then you would want to get a coilover with a higher spring rates than the RS.

This is just my $.02 from experience.

Chris

this is good info. we should get a sticky for this so people can compare real world setups from PERSONAL experience.

· Registered
573 Posts
Don't sleep on the megans. I have heard alot of good things about them on this forum. I was first worried about the name, But I'm starting to go for what works for the best price. You could go with these and have 600 bucks to go towards something else.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the advice. So far I've heard alot of good things about the HKS coilvers. The Megans seems to be a good buy for the buck from what I am hearing as well.

I am reading that some of these coilvers are dual chambered versus single chamber. Can anyone expand on that?

On the HKS coilvers, are the spring rate and ride height independently adjustable?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.